Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does Anyone Ride Horses?

I have owned and ridden horses all my life and I'm concerned about my ability to mount & dismount (I hop down from the saddle - short legs). I'm concerned about the jarring effective on the band and the stretching effect on the port. I haven't found a thread on this, so thought I'd ask. I don't want to sell my horse - its my favorite (and almost only) form of exercise. I mount with a mounting blocking - will have some, but minimal pull. The horse is smooth gaited. I'm most concerned about getting off. My port in not on the side, but nearer to the front. Anyone dealing with this......pls?:help:

Ask your doctor of course but I say don't sell your horse! You many not be able to ride for a month or two but you should be fine after that!

We have an Arab gelding--but I haven't tried riding him yet. My daughter rides him, and she works at the stable, too. I think lowering yourself a little more slowly (as opposed to a bolt off the side) might help your knees, ankles and mid-section.

Will your horse remain steady if you take 10 more seconds to dismount?

Darr

I have owned and ridden horses all my life and I'm concerned about my ability to mount & dismount (I hop down from the saddle - short legs). I'm concerned about the jarring effective on the band and the stretching effect on the port. I haven't found a thread on this, so thought I'd ask. I don't want to sell my horse - its my favorite (and almost only) form of exercise. I mount with a mounting blocking - will have some, but minimal pull. The horse is smooth gaited. I'm most concerned about getting off. My port in not on the side, but nearer to the front. Anyone dealing with this......pls?:help:

HI I also have horses and Im gettin ready to be banded.I never thought about the part of dismounting cause I also am short.Humm.I was just told to wait till I healed completey before I rode.I didnt wanna bust open anything.

We have an Arab gelding--but I haven't tried riding him yet. My daughter rides him, and she works at the stable, too. I think lowering yourself a little more slowly (as opposed to a bolt off the side) might help your knees, ankles and mid-section.

Will your horse remain steady if you take 10 more seconds to dismount?

Darr

Thanks for the reply, Darr. He will stand, no problem. Lowering myself tho, my mid-section will definitely rest on my saddle fender. I'm concerned about the port being pulled as I go down. I also thought about riding him up next to the mounting block and trying to ease down with my right foot to rest on the block. This might work, but my legs are really short (27 inch inseam) so even my 3 step block might be too short. I won't be able to ride for at least a month or so, so I guess I have plenty of time to figure it out - My horse had a massage today......I really think I want one too! Being banded a week ago, I know I'm holding my body stiff. Thanks again, and Happy trails!

HI I also have horses and Im gettin ready to be banded.I never thought about the part of dismounting cause I also am short.Humm.I was just told to wait till I healed completey before I rode.I didnt wanna bust open anything.

Thanks for the reply, Jennypoo...my doctor has never banded someone who rides before, so he wasn't alot of help. I was banded a week ago and the port is sore, body is stiff and I have trouble bending down at all. I see my doc tomorrow for my first follow up. I'm 56 years old, so may take me more time to heal - I will ride...sometime. I'm not worried about the ride, just the darn dismount! Happy trails!

I was banded 3 weeks ago. I still have a little port-site tenderness, and I haven't had ANY problems riding or dismounting. Well, a little soreness sitting a big trot, but you said your horse is gaited.

My gelding is 16.2H, and I s_l_i_d_e down slowly with my right ribs against the saddle (port is on the left). I would think hopping off with your knees bent would be easier, but for me that's a LONG way to the ground...

I would encourage you to keep your horse, since riding is one of the lowest "perceived effort" exercises. You don't FEEL like you're exercising, but everyone is sore after their first ride. Those muscles are also the hardest to target with conventional exercise (adductors, femoral biceps).

Here's my little pony:

www.fortworthdressage.com/llollo.JPG

What a sweetie....

Hi everyone,

I haven't been banded yet but I too have 2 horses and I asked the doctor before and he said no problem. I have heard that active people have more trouble with a flipped port so I don't know if bouncing on a horse would do that or not.

ps nice horse lessnless

I was banded 3 weeks ago. I still have a little port-site tenderness, and I haven't had ANY problems riding or dismounting. Well, a little soreness sitting a big trot, but you said your horse is gaited.

My gelding is 16.2H, and I s_l_i_d_e down slowly with my right ribs against the saddle (port is on the left). I would think hopping off with your knees bent would be easier, but for me that's a LONG way to the ground...

I would encourage you to keep your horse, since riding is one of the lowest "perceived effort" exercises. You don't FEEL like you're exercising, but everyone is sore after their first ride. Those muscles are also the hardest to target with conventional exercise (adductors, femoral biceps).

Here's my little pony:

What a sweetie....

Hi Lessnless: I can't believe you are riding 3 weeks after banding - you are my hero! I believe I will try your idea - sliding down the right rib side. My gelding will hold still for that as long as I don't get jittery about it. Great looking dressage horse! You must be so proud of him! Thanks for the help and responding to me. I'm just a week after banding, port soreness seems to be increasing. Happy Trails!

Buckru

i dont have any problems riding. i have a 17 hand eventing horse. we jump up to 3 feet. i never feel any pain riding. i hack out on the trails also. i do long posting trots. my legs look great and it is a lot of exersize. try trying to hold a 4 yr old in a frame at a sitting trot and counter canter.. major muscles in the back are being used too. after an hour getting my horse ready to ride , gooming , lunging and tacking etc... then an hour of riding and then an hour to bath and groom again and put all my tack away and sweep up the mess, i FEEL like i worked out. i rode two days after my surgery , but it was on my big MADE dressage horse. i didnt jump for about a month.. i was nervous at first too, i was thinking if i got thrown or something would i screw up my band. but i was fine. my new horse threw me a few weeks ago. i landed on my back. oh my god. pain .... im still bruised. but never felt any problems with my port or band.......... tip.... when buying a new horse make sure the old saddle fits really well. mine was not fitted properly and my horse told me so... i have to buy a new saddle........ ouch.......

Here's my little pony:

What a sweetie....

Oh my That pony of yours sure is beautiful!!!!!Is it a Fresian?Very pretty!!

oh my god. your friesian is so beautiful. i almost bought one, i love black sterling friesians. i go to that website and drool. im so happy for you. they say they are the most gentle horses. is this true?????

Yes, he's very gentle. He's given pony rides to kids as young as seven. Friesians are an odd combination, completely unflappable but VERY forward. Similar in temperament to the Irish Hunters. I wouldn't recommend them for a first horse because their trot is tough to sit, and they're difficult to collect at the canter.

His mane is french-braided in the pics, but it's down to his kneecap when it's loose.

llollo.jpg