Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band/Plication Revision to Bypass at 61

I'm close to making a decision to go through the revision surgery. I am concerned that I'm doing this somewhat late in the game. Is there anyone over 50 or 60 that has done it? I'm healthy, but I'm also 61 and wondering if I've lost my mind for even considering this!

Don't see what age has to do with it. if you need a revision get a revision. I'm only 49 but never would have considered my age as a factor. so thrilled to be rid of that miserable piece of junk that was permanently damaging my body.

there are tons of people in their 60's and older who have had bariatric surgery. so I think you are probably fine. if you do a search of forums in here you will find them. good luck with your revision.

Thanks so much. At 49 it wouldn't have been a question in my mind, but things change when we age and major surgery can be more of an issue. I had no hesitation whatsoever when deciding on my band/plication 4 years ago. I was actually scheduled for a bypass, but chickened out two weeks before my surgery date. Now I wish I'd gone through with it. But as they say, if hindsight was foresight, we would all be rich, retired and livin' the life :) Thanks again.

I had just turned 50 when I had mine revised. I would definitely do it. It will be harder to carry the extra weight around as you age. Why not do what you can to stay active as long as you can. Also, if you leave the crap band in, you may end up HAVING to have it out later on when you are even older. Best of luck to you!

I had just turned 50 when I had mine revised. I would definitely do it. It will be harder to carry the extra weight around as you age. Why not do what you can to stay active as long as you can. Also, if you leave the crap band in, you may end up HAVING to have it out later on when you are even older. Best of luck to you!

Notinks, I totally agree on all counts.....thank you. I do believe that the band will have to come out at some point, and I would like to do a revision before I gain ALL of my weight back. Though a bypass is the only revision I would consider, there is something about it that scares me. The sleeve scares me even more and it completely out of the question.

I think the idea of changing my plumbing freaks me out a bit and I don't know what to expect. I'm self employed, and if there are any complications, I couldn't put work on hold for anymore than two weeks; I would lose my clients! Although, I work from my home office and could rest when necessary. That in itself is a blessing!

I had my revision from lap band to gastric bypass at 62 and I am sooooo glad I did it! I never lost the weight with the lap band like I am losing with the bypass Not a tremendous amount but YES DO IT

Thanks Diane! When did you have it done? Although I know that everyone is different, I'm interested to hear about your recovery time and differences from the band; eating, foods, issues, etc.

I am 61 and had my revision surgery on 12/9/2016. At this point, I am down 33 pounds, with weight loss the first 3-4 weeks very slow, but then picked up momentum. Like Travelher, I have found my pouch is bigger than those who have not had a revision, so I measure and watch what I eat. There has been some emotional adjustments I was not aware of until I joined this forum (I love this forum) but it absolutely has ben worth it! At my age, excess skin is already a "situation" but my health is so much better.

I recommend you do it as I would do it again. since we are the same age, I would be happy to be your "buddy"!

Gail

Thanks Gail..... I have so many concerns about this procedure, and don't want to go through it and potentially create other issues that make me regret my decision. I originally went with the band/plication because I knew it could easily be reversed.....or, undone. The bypass is a whole other animal, and being that I'm self employed, I do not have the time for trips back to the hospital. As I'm scouring for info through this site and other places online, I'm also thinking (for the gazillionth time), maybe I'll start Weight Watchers. I cringe that I'm even thinking about going back down that road.....which historically, leads to nowhere. Ugh.....I'm in such turmoil. Thanks so much for reaching out. Though we all share a common thread, it's nice to hear from another 1955er.... Physically, things are a lot different now then they were at 45 :mellow:

I am 61 and had my revision surgery on 12/9/2016. At this point, I am down 33 pounds, with weight loss the first 3-4 weeks very slow, but then picked up momentum. Like Travelher, I have found my pouch is bigger than those who have not had a revision, so I measure and watch what I eat. There has been some emotional adjustments I was not aware of until I joined this forum (I love this forum) but it absolutely has ben worth it! At my age, excess skin is already a "situation" but my health is so much better.

I recommend you do it as I would do it again. since we are the same age, I would be happy to be your "buddy"!

Gail

I'm 61 and going for revision. Just don't know if sleeve or bypass is better for me. But I just don't want to retire and not be healthy enough to enjoy it. Right now I have no energy and I am sick and tired. I'm scared so any words of encouragement or your own good experience stories are so welcome

I think you'll find that your best option is the RNY.

I had a Vertical Gastric Banding 17yrs ago and had a lot of complications and so my doc said the only revision he would consider is the RNY. Also, if you look statistically the sleevers have a higher percentage of gaining weight back.

The sleeve has not been around long so therefore we do not know much information on the long term effects

My doctor is saying very similar things. I'm getting an endoscopy and some other tests done to see if I can go with that. He said RNY is malabsorptive and that helps with weight loss too. Thanks.