Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will i feel normal again

I had vsg on 1/23 and first couple of days were rough. I voimitted the first night, bad gas pain, & i was just miserable. Now on day 3, im not in pain but to the fluids i need is hard cause im full. I also have a runny nose, sneezing, diarrhea, and muscles feel like i just worked out. I dont feel like myself which is causing doubt. Did anyone else felt like this and if so how long did it last

Sent from my SM-G935V using the BariatricPal App

It took me about 8 weeks to feel fairly "normal", it took 12 weeks to find my New Normal. Some people go MUCH more quickly.

But remember, you just had something MASSIVE done to your body. Having 80% of your stomach removed is no minor or small thing. It is MAJOR and you need to treat yourself like a trauma victim, be kind, be loving, be patient.

Swallowing was bizarre and didn't feel "normal" for 6 weeks at least. Eating didn't feel "normal" for 12 weeks.

Are you on a Proto-Pump Inhibitor (anti-acid)? That can also add to the odd sensations.

But for reals, it took about 3 months until I didn't feel like my esophagus, stomach and tastebuds were being run by aliens.

Also, your other symptoms sound like you might be coming down with a cold. You might want to call your surgeon's office and let them know. I don't' think those are signs of infections but any time you feel something not right or great amounts of discomfort, you should call them.

Edited by LittleLizzieLilliput

@@Brianajubert I had my surgery on 1/24. I threw up immediately after surgery and that night. I haven't thrown up since, which I'm SO happy about. My gas pains have been the hardest part and I feel it in my stomach, chest, shoulders and back. The more I stand up and walk they go away. Today has been surprisingly easy. I too had a runny nose and itchy throat plus the tube they put down your throat has to irritate it. There were a few times today that I had a tickle in my throats and holy hell coughing hurts! I hear some days are better than others but what's really helped are the following:

1) Gas-x strips. These have been a HUGE life saver. (I usually take two every four hours)

2) Walk, walk, walk

3) Sit up straight when you're laying down or in bed. (The nurse told me this helps alleviate the gas pains and she was right!)

4) I took my first shower today and immediately felt refreshed and less uncomfortable.

5) I hug my pillow against my stomach even when I'm asleep. It helps SO much with pain from moving, coughing and sneezing.

6) Ask someone to burp you like a baby. Sounds weird but I had my mom pat on my back while I was sitting up and I burped at least twice and WOW did that give me immediate relief!!

For me, my anxiety can psyche me out and make me feel worse so waking up today and feeling good really made my anxiety go away. Watching funny shows or movies is distracting as well. Just not too funny because laughing is no fun this soon!

Just hang in there! I've been getting so many words of encouragement from people on this app and that keeps my mind at ease. Stay strong and like @@LittleLizzieLilliput said, we had a major surgery so we're already badasses for making this change!!! I have 6 incisions and the nurses said it's the equivalent of basically being stabbed 6 times. That makes the process and our choice sound pretty badass!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

It took me about 8 weeks to feel fairly "normal", it took 12 weeks to find my New Normal. Some people go MUCH more quickly.

But remember, you just had something MASSIVE done to your body. Having 80% of your stomach removed is no minor or small thing. It is MAJOR and you need to treat yourself like a trauma victim, be kind, be loving, be patient.

Swallowing was bizarre and didn't feel "normal" for 6 weeks at least. Eating didn't feel "normal" for 12 weeks.

Are you on a Proto-Pump Inhibitor (anti-acid)? That can also add to the odd sensations.

But for reals, it took about 3 months until I didn't feel like my esophagus, stomach and tastebuds were being run by aliens.

Also, your other symptoms sound like you might be coming down with a cold. You might want to call your surgeon's office and let them know. I don't' think those are signs of infections but any time you feel something not right or great amounts of discomfort, you should call them.

I had to laugh at your aliens comment! Such a good description...and accurate for me at 7 weeks.

By week 3 I felt normal. Week 1 is a blur, week 2 I just felt kinda tired and blurry.

I'm 3 weeks out and feel 80% Normal. I have a large abdomen that is slowly shrinking. No pains at all. I can now bend over to trim my toe nails again without my stomach feeling weird. I still take it slowly to not over do it. I haven't had to take a pain med since I left the hospital. I sleep on my side so it took about two weeks before my stomach felt normal.

Tie Hill Samsung S6+

For 3 days postop, you sound pretty "normal" to me. But if you can't meet fluid goals (at least 64oz), you should contact your surgeon to make sure you don't get dehydrated. But to answer your question, it was At least 3 months before I felt "OK". Didn't feel what has become my new normal until well over a year out.

Edited by Dairymary

@@Brianajubert I had my surgery on 1/24. I threw up immediately after surgery and that night. I haven't thrown up since, which I'm SO happy about. My gas pains have been the hardest part and I feel it in my stomach, chest, shoulders and back. The more I stand up and walk they go away. Today has been surprisingly easy. I too had a runny nose and itchy throat plus the tube they put down your throat has to irritate it. There were a few times today that I had a tickle in my throats and holy hell coughing hurts! I hear some days are better than others but what's really helped are the following:

1) Gas-x strips. These have been a HUGE life saver. (I usually take two every four hours)

2) Walk, walk, walk

3) Sit up straight when you're laying down or in bed. (The nurse told me this helps alleviate the gas pains and she was right!)

4) I took my first shower today and immediately felt refreshed and less uncomfortable.

5) I hug my pillow against my stomach even when I'm asleep. It helps SO much with pain from moving, coughing and sneezing.

6) Ask someone to burp you like a baby. Sounds weird but I had my mom pat on my back while I was sitting up and I burped at least twice and WOW did that give me immediate relief!!

For me, my anxiety can psyche me out and make me feel worse so waking up today and feeling good really made my anxiety go away. Watching funny shows or movies is distracting as well. Just not too funny because laughing is no fun this soon!

Just hang in there! I've been getting so many words of encouragement from people on this app and that keeps my mind at ease. Stay strong and like @@LittleLizzieLilliput said, we had a major surgery so we're already badasses for making this change!!! I have 6 incisions and the nurses said it's the equivalent of basically being stabbed 6 times. That makes the process and our choice sound pretty badass!

This is amazing advice, sleeved_grace!!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

In my case, except for fatigue, from day 4 I felt "normal" if we don't count the eating business. I'm 8 weeks out and I still feel that my esophagus and stomach live their own life n want to control mine. If I'm with friends having dinner (we usually meet once a month), if I talk to much while eating, I feel that a HUGE burb will jump out of my mouth. Same with the funny noises I notice from my stomach. So it's sad but I can't talk while eating. It's kinda embarrassing. I really hope I feel normal soon. I get stressed every time invites me to their places to eat something... I have to tell I would love some soup! Lol

Edited by Alyssa_T

I am 6 weeks post op and I still don't feel normal. Having a hard time getting all the Fluid in but I'm doing it. I'm never hungry, at all and have to watch the clock to eat. Sometimes I'm busy and forget to eat. Can't wait to feel normal. I know I will get there.