Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know this sounds like such a silly question, but I'm wondering when you know when to stop eating? Of course you're thinking "when you're full".... but I'm not hungry to begin with. I am supposed to eat 5-6 small meals a day. It's a chore to eat 1 or 2 lol but I'm trying to do the 5-6.. so how do I know when to stop when I wasn't hungry to begin with?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

My sleeve lets me know with a quickness when to stop eating. I can feel it.

I have set amounts that I weigh exactly and eat during the day. I usually have 3 oz of food total during my meals since I know that is less than my sleeve capacity. (The only exception to this is when I have cottage cheese twice per day. I do have 4 oz of it, but because of the consistency, it hasn't caused me any problems.) I eat 7-8 times throughout the day. This strategy has worked really well for me.

I never felt hungry after the surgery and had to put an alarm on my phone to remember to eat. Even now I dont often feel hungry but I know when I need to eat. I stick to measured out foods and never go past the 20 minute eating guideline.

I have learnt to know when I am sated rather than full. Earlier on I used to get hiccups when I was nearing 'fullness' and that helped too! You will eventually learn how to 'read' your body.

Kate

@_Kate_ I get those hiccups too! Goodness, they're annoying!!!! But I know when I'm done eating.

You should pre-measure your food and eat the amount your surgeon/nutritionist recommends for your current food stage. I was told to eat 2 oz. at a time in the beginning, so I pre-measured my food into these little 2 oz. plastic baby food containers and ate out of those through my puree and soft food stages.

Once you are more healed up, you WILL get "full" signals from your stomach again. It is only in the first month or two post-op, when your nerves are still healing, that you can't rely on accurate signals from your stomach.

For me, there isn't really a physical feeling until I stack too much and I can feel it coming up. (I have made that huge mistake a few times!) I eat 2-4 bites of something then stop. If my body gives me actual hunger later, I will have a few more bites. I, like you, don't feel hungry so I also don't feel full. I can tell that my body is hungry because I get stomach cramping and feel light headed. I think you get to a point where you know when enough is enough!

Banded 2010 weight:327

Sleeved 12/28/16 weight:253

CW: 230 GW: 155

Heather in Texas