Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone know of Dr De Bruyne Chris

Hi Karob

Hope the chest pain has improved. I read on another site that it should take around 10 weeks to be able to eat a small meal (starter size) at around5-6 weeks food should still be sloppy.

I am really worried about some the feeling ie being sick, and chest pain do you feel this everytime you swallow something what makes you feel better

spacer.gif

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

To all

I thought this info was really helpfull.

For those that have been banded by Dr Chris, what aftercare is offered is there a contact in the UK.

What to Eat WheN - After Lap Band Surgery

In hospital straight after surgery to day 1

CLEAR FLUIDS OVERNIGHT

• [*]don’t drink everything at once

[*]small amounts often – 50mls every 10 minutes

[*]suck on ice if thirsty or dry

[*]no fizzy drinks

NO solid food - CLEAR FLUIDS ONLY

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES

Do NOT eat anything other than Water, clear fruit juice, clear consommé, and black tea/coffee or cordial – even if it has been delivered to your room – it is probably a mistake.

EATING UTENSIL Slim straw only

Days 2 to 21-28 - liquids Only

LIQUIDS ONLY – small amounts frequently to keep you hydrated – 50mls every 10 minutes (up to 2 litres per day). Within a week you should be able to drink 1 cup of Fluid slowly.

• 120 ml fruit juice
  • 250 ml vegetable juices/ vegetable Soup (pureed, thin)
  • protein drinks
  • reduced fat milk
  • fully vitamised chicken/meat & vegetable soup
  • no fizzy drinks

NO SOLID food - FLUIDS ONLY

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES

Drink small amounts often. Your new stomach pouch is small. Don’t overstretch it by drinking too much at once. Sip slowly, Small mouthfuls.

If you can’t get it through a slim straw easily you can’t have it.

Days 21-28 to 35 - Sloppy Low Fibre Foods

SLOPPY LOW FIBRE FOODS ONLY – EASILY SQUISHED THROUGH THE FINGERS - OR –

THE THICKNESS OF BABY’S FIRST FOOD OR SMOOTHED MASHED POTATO

• turn off the telephone, lock the front door, occupy the kids, totally concentrate on eating
  • sip very small amounts very slowly
  • wait for a minute between sips
  • no more than 200mls at a time
  • 2 lite dairy/soya serves daily (1 serve= 1cup milk or 200g lite yoghurt or 35 g cheese)
  • ½ cup pureed fruit or mashed banana
  • puree cooked veal, pork or chicken, avoid beef (too fibrous)
  • eat small amounts slowly but more frequently, hunger makes you eat faster
  • avoid lobster, squid or prawns
  • avoid home-cooked spaghetti & rice
  • tinned spaghetti & tinned creamy rice are okay
  • no fizzy drinks

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES

Eat very slowly and chew very well – 30 times each mouthful Low fibre fruit & vegetables only

Low fibre means without the fibrous skin. Dried fruits like prunes, raisins & sultanas are also off the menu for this month.

Drink 15 minutes or more before eating, and one hour after eating.

SLOPPY/PUREED LOW FIBRE FOODS ONLY

EATING UTENSILS MacDonald’s sized thicker straw or Teaspoon

^top

Days 35- 42 - Transition Phase

TRANSITION PHASE – gradually introduce solids from 5 to 6 weeks only very cautiously

• turn off the telephone, lock the front door, occupy the kids, totally concentrate on eating
  • do not increase the portion sizes you have become used to over the last 4 weeks
  • eat very small amounts very slowly
  • wait for a minute between each mouth full
  • cautiously introduce cooked unblended chicken or veal – 50 grams in total to begin with
  • cautiously introduce cooked unblended vegetables
  • cut fibrous vegetables into tiny pieces, then chew very well

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES

Eat very slowly

Chew very well – 30 times each mouthful

Cut meat into tiny pieces

EATING UTENSILS Teaspoon or Equivalent Size

What to eat for the rest of your life

• do not increase the portion sizes you have become used to over the last 4 weeks
  • continue the further introduction of solids that you began to introduce at 5 to 6 weeks very cautiously
  • the volume and coarseness of the food should slowly be increased over the coming weeks
  • continue to cautiously introduce cooked unblended chicken or veal – begin with 50 grams
  • continue to cautiously introduce cooked unblended vegetables
  • cut fibrous vegetables into tiny pieces, then chew very well 30 times each mouth full
  • by about week 10 you should be at the point where you can attend a restaurant and eat an entrée sized meal in both volume and consistency – the time it takes you to eat this meal should equal the time it takes your eating partner to consume both entrée and main meal

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES

Eat very slowly Chew very well – 30 times each mouthful

Cut fibrous vegetables into tiny pieces

Tips for Eating Out

• the drinking rule still applies, 15 minutes or more before eating and one hour after eating; special exception because you’re eating out, you can take tiny sips of liquid while eating
  • while we’re on the drinking subject, for those of us who don’t mind a tipple, with the Lap Band in place alcohol will be absorbed much more quickly and therefore if consumed should be done so very slowly – remember, less is more and a lower tolerance can mean higher blood alcohol levels, so if you’re going to drink, please don’t drive
  • just because you’re eating out, don’t decide to “make a meal of it” so to speak, and consume more than you have become used to over the last ten weeks
  • eat one entrée sized meal only over the time it takes your eating companion to consume both entrée and main course
  • if you don’t like the entrée choices, ask for the main meal served entrée size
  • remember, we often eat just for taste, and not for hunger; if you remember this then savouring one tiny teaspoon of your partner’s dessert for the taste is all you really need
  • if you’re worried about drawing attention to yourself by making the above requests, or by seeming to eat less than you have in the past, remember, this is the new you, you DO eat less now, your appetite isn’t as great, you don’t seem to need as much to satisfy you anymore, perhaps you’re coming down with something (any of these statements, casually uttered should deflect the curiosity of family or friends used to the old you, if you’re the shy type and think it’s none of their business. Otherwise feel free to be loud and proud and espouse the wonders of Lap Band surgery.)
  • locate the toilets on arrival so you know exactly where to go if you’re not concentrating on each mouth full and you need to make a hasty exit
  • by now you should be able to judge what “tiny” mouthful means and should be back to using knife and fork

^top

spacer.gifforum_ad.jpg

quicklinks.gifspacer.gif

spacer.gifmacleods.gifspacer.gifleisas.gifspacer.gifforum.gifspacer.gifcontactus.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

What to Eat WheN - After Lap Band Surgery

There is a printable version of this information available here in PDF format. The PDF version also contains some menu ideas for the different phases.

In hospital straight after surgery to day 1

CLEAR FLUIDS OVERNIGHT

• water
    • clear fruit juice and
    • cordial only

[*]don’t drink everything at once

[*]small amounts often – 50mls every 10 minutes

[*]suck on ice if thirsty or dry

[*]no fizzy drinks

NO SOLID FOOD - CLEAR FLUIDS ONLY

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES

Do NOT eat anything other than water, clear fruit juice, clear consommé, and black tea/coffee or cordial – even if it has been delivered to your room – it is probably a mistake.

Days 2 to 21-28 - Liquids Only

LIQUIDS ONLY – small amounts frequently to keep you hydrated – 50mls every 10 minutes (up to 2 litres per day). Within a week you should be able to drink 1 cup of fluid slowly.

• 120 ml fruit juice
  • 250 ml vegetable juices/ vegetable soup (pureed, thin)
  • protein drinks
  • reduced fat milk
  • fully vitamised chicken/meat & vegetable soup
  • no fizzy drinks

NO SOLID FOOD - FLUIDS ONLY

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES

Drink small amounts often. Your new stomach pouch is small. Don’t overstretch it by drinking too much at once. Sip slowly, Small mouthfuls.

If you can’t get it through a slim straw easily you can’t have it.

Days 21-28 to 35 - Sloppy Low Fibre Foods

SLOPPY LOW FIBRE FOODS ONLY – EASILY SQUISHED THROUGH THE FINGERS - OR –

THE THICKNESS OF BABY’S FIRST FOOD OR SMOOTHED MASHED POTATO

• sip very small amounts very slowly
  • wait for a minute between sips
  • no more than 200mls at a time
  • 2 lite dairy/soya serves daily (1 serve= 1cup milk or 200g lite yoghurt or 35 g cheese)
  • ½ cup pureed fruit or mashed banana
  • puree cooked veal, pork or chicken, avoid beef (too fibrous)
  • eat small amounts slowly but more frequently, hunger makes you eat faster
  • avoid lobster, squid or prawns
  • avoid home-cooked spaghetti & rice
  • tinned spaghetti & tinned creamy rice are okay
  • no fizzy drinks

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES

Eat very slowly and chew very well – 30 times each mouthful Low fibre fruit & vegetables only

Low fibre means without the fibrous skin. Dried fruits like prunes, raisins & sultanas are also off the menu for this month.

SLOPPY/PUREED LOW FIBRE FOODS ONLY

EATING UTENSILS MacDonald’s sized thicker straw or Teaspoon

^top

Days 35- 42 - Transition Phase

TRANSITION PHASE – gradually introduce solids from 5 to 6 weeks only very cautiously

• cautiously introduce cooked unblended chicken or veal – 50 grams in total to begin with
  • cautiously introduce cooked unblended vegetables
  • cut fibrous vegetables into tiny pieces, then chew very well

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES

Eat very slowly

Chew very well – 30 times each mouthful

What to eat for the rest of your life

• continue the further introduction of solids that you began to introduce at 5 to 6 weeks very cautiously
  • the volume and coarseness of the food should slowly be increased over the coming weeks
  • continue to cautiously introduce cooked unblended chicken or veal – begin with 50 grams
  • continue to cautiously introduce cooked unblended vegetables
  • cut fibrous vegetables into tiny pieces, then chew very well 30 times each mouth full
  • by about week 10 you should be at the point where you can attend a restaurant and eat an entrée sized meal in both volume and consistency – the time it takes you to eat this meal should equal the time it takes your eating partner to consume both entrée and main meal

VERY IMPORTANT NOTES

Eat very slowly Chew very well – 30 times each mouthful

Cut fibrous vegetables into tiny pieces

Tips for Eating Out

• the drinking rule still applies, 15 minutes or more before eating and one hour after eating; special exception because you’re eating out, you can take tiny sips of liquid while eating
  • while we’re on the drinking subject, for those of us who don’t mind a tipple, with the Lap Band in place alcohol will be absorbed much more quickly and therefore if consumed should be done so very slowly – remember, less is more and a lower tolerance can mean higher blood alcohol levels, so if you’re going to drink, please don’t drive
  • just because you’re eating out, don’t decide to “make a meal of it” so to speak, and consume more than you have become used to over the last ten weeks
  • eat one entrée sized meal only over the time it takes your eating companion to consume both entrée and main course
  • if you don’t like the entrée choices, ask for the main meal served entrée size
  • remember, we often eat just for taste, and not for hunger; if you remember this then savouring one tiny teaspoon of your partner’s dessert for the taste is all you really need
  • if you’re worried about drawing attention to yourself by making the above requests, or by seeming to eat less than you have in the past, remember, this is the new you, you DO eat less now, your appetite isn’t as great, you don’t seem to need as much to satisfy you anymore, perhaps you’re coming down with something (any of these statements, casually uttered should deflect the curiosity of family or friends used to the old you, if you’re the shy type and think it’s none of their business. Otherwise feel free to be loud and proud and espouse the wonders of Lap Band surgery.)
  • locate the toilets on arrival so you know exactly where to go if you’re not concentrating on each mouth full and you need to make a hasty exit
  • by now you should be able to judge what “tiny” mouthful means and should be back to using knife and fork

Edited by sher67

Thanks for the info very helpful.

i would just like to say to freckles,gary and bobo you are stars,you really give inspiration to me and all the new peep getting done you are really important on this forum and play a big role so keep on with all your rants thanks a million im only starting my journey with help of you yay xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:lol::mad::eek::thumbup::):mad:

it is my pleasure, good luck you, keep us posted.

gx

Hi All. Haven't been on for a while. Had my second fill on 1st July and now have 5ml in a 10ml band. I have been really struggling since. I managed to drink 2 glasses of Water after I had my fill, but when I got home and had some more water, it seemed to get stuck and the pain in my chest was so bad. I tried yogurt and after 2 spoonfuls, that would get stuck and I had to make myself sick. Hot Soup and drinks go down alright, and now I'm living on really smooth mash potato. I also have to take my time eating, 'cause everything just gets stuck. Can anyone tell me if this is what the restriction feels like?

After 2 weeks I am managing to eat a bit more, but nothing that isn't smooth. I don't know whether to go for another fill in August or get a bit taken out. On the up side, I don't feel hungry and I am definately not eating as much. I just don't want to end up eating aload of junk just because its the only thing that will go down. Please tell me that others have had this problem. In a way it would be great that I am at my restriction, as it would save me a fortune having fills.

Anyway, Good luck to all those going to Belgium in a couple of weeks for their band.

hi karob

Sounds pretty much like restriction, my goodnes thats quick after 2 fills, you will be the envy of a few on here. In my experience i would not get it taken out as it will eventually ease and what you will learn about you and your band in that time is invaluable. As long as you can get water down then just try different thing, i have days where thin soup is all i can eat and other where i can eat chicken, no day is the same. my last fill was march and i still can be very tight, u will find at only 2 fills it will ease off quite quick and that when u get more in not out, it aint east this lark.

g

hi all

big test for me, i am having my varicose veins removed on the 4th of august and as it is a general anasthetic i have to get my band opened, much to my regret as i have spent some time getting to my sweet spot but hey ho. It will be interesting to test and see for the 4 weeks how i am mentally with food. I am hoping that my eating habits have changed enough by now that it should be ok.

Keep you posted.

g

Thanks very much Gary. I read your message yesterday and it helped me a lot. I have been feeling down but feel better now thanks to you and the others that replied. I take on board what you say, I need to get a grip and stop being so impatient.

I need to find something to stop the need for the eating for comfort. I have my own busy and very hectic business with my husband. I employ very close friends and family only, which adds to the pressure. My relationship with my husband since starting the business has deteriorated. He is either at work or the pub and I am either at work, out with friends or home alone. I am in a difficult situation as any decisions I make will affect a lot of people close to me, and eat food to try to make things feel better. Anyway, I need to not use food as an emotional crutch.

I always complain that I don't have much time for preparing food which is why I grab things that are unhealthy but I went to the supermarket and did what I always thought was being lazy and bought ready made salads and stir frys.

I have been racking my brains to think about an exercise which I will enjoy. When I was in my early twenties (some twenty years ago) I became addicted to exercise. Now I can think of nothing worse. What do you do? I find that by the time I get home from work I am so tired I have no energy for exercise. Walking the dog is my limit.

I read your later post. I hope the varicose vein op goes well and you soon get the right restriction back in your band.

I can't seem to eat slowly. I try and then forget and find myself eating at the same speed I always did. Do you think that by eating nearly the same amount as before that I might have stretched the band? God I hope not.

I am now 14 stone 2. I also went out and bought some new clothes yesterday. I am not expecting to be in them for long but needed to feel better about myself.

I appreciated your message and do feel that you put out your hand to me. Thank you for that. Will keep you posted. Jaynex

Thank you so much for replying Kerry. I think I have just been feeling a bit pathetic. I don't know if you felt like this but the time leading up to the band I felt so optimistic and initially after, with no appetite, felt a bit euphoric (even though there was a little discomfort). I think I have had a glimpse of how things were before and don't want to go back to it again.

I have eaten healthily the last few days and still thinking about the exercise although I am always so tired when I get home that I can't be bothered to be honest.

I hope you are well. Two stone is brilliant.

Thanks again for replying. Jaynexx

Sammy

Thank you so much for replying. I am feeling a bit better about things now and looking forward to my first fill next friday. You have been very kind. Jaynex

Hi All

I am going to Belgium to be banded by Dr Chris on the 11th August.

I have a few questions and was hoping you guys might be able to answer some of them for me.

Here we go:

When am I likely to hear back from Freddy about which hotel we are staying in, how to get there, what to do when we get there etc?

I am booked to travel by Eurostar, did anyone else travel this way? Will the taxi collect us from the station? (I have booked the package directly with Freddy.)

Did anyone take out an insurance policy to cover costs should there be any problems afterwards? i.e with the band slipping or anything else that could need a re-operation.

I sleep on my tummy; once the tenderness of the operation has gone, will I feel the port or anything when laying on my stomach? Are you aware of something being inside your stomach or do you become oblivious to it?

I read that you have to inject yourself afterwards. How long is that for and why do you need to do it?

Do you sleep on a ward in the hospital? I am worrying about the night in the hospital because I know I will be thinking about my children and stuff and will probably end up being a weeping woosy!

How soon after can you get up and walk about? Do you get up to use the toilet etc.

How soon after the operation can you drive?

How long after the operation do you get all this excess gas for? I have images of me going back to work and...well...basically farting away at my desk!!! :)

Phew!!! That was more than a few!

Thanks in advance everyone.

Hi

It is my first post although I have been reading the forum for a few days. I am going to be banded on the 12th of August by Dr Chris and have similar questions to the above post. I am travelling alone as hubby has to stay behind and look after the kids. I am also travelling by Eurostar.

I would appreciate it if anyone else being banded on the 12th would get in touch as I am feeling bit alone and scared.

Also, I am going to transfer the 500 euro deposit tmrw, any advice on what is the most cost effective way of doing this?

I am 35 years old, BMI 34, weight nearly 15 stone and am hoping to get back to my original weight of 10.5 stone.

Last question, after being banded on the 12th, do you think I will be well enough to attend a friend's 40th birthday bash on the 22nd.

Thanks in advance.

Hi bandsters

It seems as if most are doing well getting a little more worried as the 27 draws closer but finding comfort in all those that write in.

For those that have been banded there lots of talk about food can you drink as much as want or is this also restricted.

Elizabeth hope the responses have helped it must be theworst feeling after speeding so much money and going through surgery to feel it hasnt worked this is one of my fears.

I hope it works for you keep writing in

Thanks Sher

Good luck on the 27th. You won't regret it. I'm feeling a bit better now. Look forward to hearing your news xx]

Hi

It is my first post although I have been reading the forum for a few days. I am going to be banded on the 12th of August by Dr Chris and have similar questions to the above post. I am travelling alone as hubby has to stay behind and look after the kids. I am also travelling by Eurostar.

I would appreciate it if anyone else being banded on the 12th would get in touch as I am feeling bit alone and scared.

Also, I am going to transfer the 500 euro deposit tmrw, any advice on what is the most cost effective way of doing this?

I am 35 years old, BMI 34, weight nearly 15 stone and am hoping to get back to my original weight of 10.5 stone.

Last question, after being banded on the 12th, do you think I will be well enough to attend a friend's 40th birthday bash on the 22nd.

Thanks in advance.

Hi. I was banded last month. My mum came with me but to be honest I could have done it alone. I also went by eurostar and found it quite comfortable. The worst part was the last leg of the journey on the national express home. How far do you live from the eurostar?

Try not to worry. Once you are there in Belgium and you have spoken to Frederik at the hotel you will feel happier about the whole thing. At this point, you will meet whoever else is having the band done on the same day. Hopefully, you will be able to team up with that person - it is good to share it with somebody else going through it.

When I got to the hospital the next morning I was put in a ward with three beds. The other two ladies weren't english. Dr Chris got me moved to be with the other lady which was great.

If you have any other questions please ask.

Oh and the other thing, you will feel well enough for the wedding. Obviously, you won't really be able to eat unless they have something like Soup.< /p>

I really wish you the best. I nearly went on my own, I was up until the last minute so i can appreciate the worry you are feeling. Good luck Jaynex

Hi

Thanks in advance.

Hi. I was banded last month. My mum came with me but to be honest I could have done it alone. I also went by eurostar and found it quite comfortable. The worst part was the last leg of the journey on the national express home. How far do you live from the eurostar?

Try not to worry. Once you are there in Belgium and you have spoken to Frederik at the hotel you will feel happier about the whole thing. At this point, you will meet whoever else is having the band done on the same day. Hopefully, you will be able to team up with that person - it is good to share it with somebody else going through it.

When I got to the hospital the next morning I was put in a ward with three beds. The other two ladies weren't english. Dr Chris got me moved to be with the other lady which was great.

If you have any other questions please ask.

Oh and the other thing, you will feel well enough for the wedding. Obviously, you won't really be able to eat unless they have something like Soup.< /p>

I really wish you the best. I nearly went on my own, I was up until the last minute so i can appreciate the worry you are feeling. Good luck Jaynex

Thanks Jaynex

How's your experience been so far? Pain...eating pattern...weight loss?

Also, what method did you use to transfer the money across?

Sorry to ask u so many questions.

I am going on the 29th July with my husband and having the band on the 30th July. I asked the bank to transfer the whole amount and they charged me £24.00 for the service.

Looking forward to hearing from Frederik with regards to the confirmation details (have emailled but nothing so far) he does answer but sometimes you have to chase him.

Looking forward to this as I have drawn the line and just want to get on. A client asked me today if I was really excited and then went quiet and said or are you scared and I was honest and said not scared at all just excited that I have made this decision and therefore feel very much in control of it and know that if it fails it's because I didn't follow the rules. My fingers are crossed all will be well as I just want to be healthy and enjoy life. I'm not governed by food but I am an addict when it comes to exercise and have really missed it because of the weight gain after the acl reconstruction (knee) so I am looking forward to playing competitively again. I started back at tennis a few weeks ago and loving it.

Hope all who are going over in the next few weeks have a very positive experience and we are all here to support each other and to listen. Happy for anyone to pm me or call.

Take care and remember that we have one life, we have to live it and enjoy it and do everything we can to get the most from it.

Claire x

Edited by MummiesBB