Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Uncontrollable Bowels

Hello. I have never posted on here in fear of ridicule. But here it goes. I was sleeved on Oct. 14th. I've had very few issues, but this is a big one!

I have literally shit the bed twice! With my partner in the bed next to me. Humiliating! I have no control! Okay, yes. I had an icecream bar before bed. Yes, I crapped. A lot. So it goes through my tight leggings or whatever pjs I wear.

I can make this go much, much, longer. But you all get the point. I am one of the few sleepers that dump.

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Stop eating things that make you dump.

Ice cream bars shouldn't even be on the menu for you.

You don't have uncontrollable bowels, you are dumping by eating off plan.

Which is surgery working as intended. Dumping is supposed to discourage you from eating trash foods.

Wait until you are healed and have lost your weight to eat sugary sweets, and then only do it in moderation.

@@Judygrim708

2.5 months is far to early to know if someone has lactose intolerance. Eating an ice cream sandwich that is full of sugar and causing dumping is pretty obvious.

You realize this person never came back and is most likely a troll.

No sane person is going to complain about dumping after eating ice cream 2 .5 months post-op.

No sane person is going to complain about dumping after eating ice cream 2 .5 months post-op.

Actually they might just have been pissed off and moved on with their lives...

My lapband doctor was crap. Little to no prep, advice, handouts or even team members besides an appointment scheduler. Just a self righteous a*****e getting paid..... Milton Owens Chapman Medical Center in Orange CA......btw.....8 years later and I am sleeved. Yay! With a great thorough and supportive surgeon and team.....Dr Misra, Marina Del Rey Hospital.

You can get dumping with sleeve according my surgeon and said it will happen at least once during the first few months. Also advised that Constipation may happen or it will be total loose bowels.

11 minutes ago, jennifermurphy50 said:

I've done quite a bit of reading and told by 2 dr's that dumping isn't associated with gastric sleeve only bypass. Don't get me wrong - still shouldn't be eating ice cream.

It is not generally associated with the sleeve, but it does happen. It is far more common (hence the association) with bypass. If a sleeve patient drinks something high in sugar and/or fat, say something like chocolate milk or milk shake, dumping is a strong possibility. I have not personally read or heard of any band patients experiencing it though. It wouldn't make much sense either since the food stays in the stomach after seeping through the banded portion.

It is not generally associated with the sleeve, but it does happen. It is far more common (hence the association) with bypass. If a sleeve patient drinks something high in sugar and/or fat, say something like chocolate milk or milk shake, dumping is a strong possibility. I have not personally read or heard of any band patients experiencing it though. It wouldn't make much sense either since the food stays in the stomach after seeping through the banded portion.

Thanks for sharing. I had no idea and it's nice to know. [emoji3]

On 1/10/2017 at 10:38 AM, OutsideMatchInside said:

I usually respect everything you have to say about these surgeries. You definitely have a lot to say and it's often very helpful. But your pessimistic and condescending tone have no value here. People want support, not ridicule. And to be respected, you also need to be empathetic.

Thank you for your understanding.