Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone experience lapband locking mechanism failure?

SElaine, we have the same surgeon. How are you doing now? I had a band implant in May of 2006, I had to have it removed when my annual EGD showed an errosion. I had a new band implanted 10/1/07 it is one of the newer bands. After my third fill, I'm enjoying great restriction. I'm so happy to have my band back. Are you having yours replaced? I will say this it was easier the 2nd time around for me.

SElaine, we have the same surgeon. How are you doing now? I had a band implant in May of 2006, I had to have it removed when my annual EGD showed an errosion. I had a new band implanted 10/1/07 it is one of the newer bands. After my third fill, I'm enjoying great restriction. I'm so happy to have my band back. Are you having yours replaced? I will say this it was easier the 2nd time around for me.

Hey tmazgal,

I'm so happy to see your message! I'm doing OK now. Still struggling to keep this weight off, but I'm fighting! I'm glad to know you are doing OK after your rebanding. I'm sending you a PM with all of the specifics.

Sorry to say, but I have had nothing but gas and diarrhea every day since I was banded. I went to my dr who said I probably have some kind of infection and gave my medicine for it. but I still have it and probably will have to go to a gastroenterologist about it. anybody else have thsi problem since they were banded?

Sorry to say, but I have had nothing but gas and diarrhea every day since I was banded. I went to my dr who said I probably have some kind of infection and gave my medicine for it. but I still have it and probably will have to go to a gastroenterologist about it. anybody else have thsi problem since they were banded?

Hi beachgal,

My friend Virginia had similar problems with her band. She ended up having it removed and converted to a RNY. You can read her post here:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f24/my-story-very-long-cross-posted-55766/

I'm sorry for everything you are going through. Hopefully they can find a solution that works for you. Good luck.

Hi beachgal,

My friend Virginia had similar problems with her band. She ended up having it removed and converted to a RNY. You can read her post here:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f24/my-story-very-long-cross-posted-55766/

I'm sorry for everything you are going through. Hopefully they can find a solution that works for you. Good luck.

Hi Selaine. Thanks for your reply. I read your friend's story and I can relate to it. I also was told that it couldn't be the band ( but then why did these problems start after the band was inserted?). Well I will have to see the gastroenterologist to get some kind of answer. I'm tired of constantly running to the bathroom!!

Beachgal

The gas story was one I could relate to during the time I was banded although I did not suffer from the diarrhea. It began in the early days when one of the first fills I had clamped the band very tightly around my stomach. When my fill giver heard/saw my reaction he immediately released some of the fill until I was comfortable, but later in the day my abdomen swelled up so much that I could hardly walk without pain and I seriously thought about having to go to hospital. It was only in the wee hours of the morning that I started to get rid of the gas. The worst thing was, passing the gas was so loud and forceful that I thought I would wake the whole household. From then on there were just days, probably once every ten to fourteen days where my belly just blew up to the point where I had to unbutton my jeans. It was always uncomfortable (although never as bad as the first time), but I learned to live with it because I knew relief would come when when I went to bed at night and lay on my side. When my band was removed nearly six months ago, the swollen tummy and forceful explosions of gas subsided to "normal"! So I think that there could be something that is going on for some people that relates to the band and not necessarily the food that they eat, but in my own case, I don't know whether the gradual erosion of the band over a couple of years had something to do with the symptoms I was feeling.

I have been interested in reading your comments Wheetsin that some who have had eroded bands have eventually had new bands placed and done well. I have just read tmazgal's post and am very happy that it is working well the second time around.

When I asked around on some other forums last year about rebanding following erosion, I only got a couple of responses, one said she was warned against it opted for a sleeve and the other one had the experience of the second band also eroding and she finally had the sleeve done., This is why I dismissed rebanding completely at the time although my surgeon said it could be done. My thoughts were that if I was one of the few with an unlocked band, it would be just my luck to have some other complication like a slip, and that I would be worrying about what could happen for years to come. I have an appointment with my surgeon on the 10th April to discuss my options and to hopefully book a date. The way I have struggled over the last couple of months has shown me that I want to regain my energy and once again be free of the burden of obsessing about my inability to lose weight on my own. I want to find the "New Me" again - because she is temporarily absent without leave. I will keep you updated!

Marion

Well, it was a long time coming but I finally had a revision to a sleeve on August 5th. It took my surgeon 4 hours to work through all the adhesions and scarring that remained after my band removal in October 07. I regained much of the weight that I had lost with the band while I waited for a decision as to when a revision would be done, and I became very depressed during that time because I felt I had no control over my situation. When the agency that normally covers treatment injuries here in NZ declined my application, my surgeon immediately stepped forward and arranged for the new surgery at no cost, which was a huge relief. I have had a pain free recovery and finally have my life back again. Best of all, I can finally lay to rest all the anxiety and despair of the last three years, and move forward again. My weight is dropping off again, I finally know what restriction feels like and I can't keep the smile off my face. So to all of those who like me, were not destined to keep their bands, there is a solution, so don't give up!

Marion:smile:

well ijus t got band on the 20th so far ok a ittle depression but it is slswly goning away i am praying that thisisthe best thing for me so i just need to learn to live with it

Kingfish, I am glad to hear that you are doing so much better now. I wish you the best of luck with your sleeve. Even tho you no longer have the band. Please keep us posted.

well ijus t got band on the 20th so far ok a ittle depression but it is slswly goning away i am praying that thisisthe best thing for me so i just need to learn to live with it

Hi Real Deal. The band is a fantastic tool and I am sure you will do very well with it. I still have regular contact with my banded friends and all of them have done well with it, some have lost all the weight and are at goal. While complications do happen, many of them have a solution. Feeling a little depressed after surgery is not uncommon because your body has been through a rough time with surgery.

Please don't worry yourself by looking at things that could go wrong, it will probably never happen. Best of luck with your band, I am sure you will do very well with it. Marion

Kingfish, I am glad to hear that you are doing so much better now. I wish you the best of luck with your sleeve. Even tho you no longer have the band. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for your good wishes - best of luck to you as well. Marion