Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery was yesterday... so much pain!

post-307223-14836015272658_thumb.jpg

Well there's no turning back now... I'm in so much pain. Mostly gas pains but thats no joke! And my ribs so tight and achy. I feel like I can't Move my upper body in my own. I had hoped I'd get some sleep in tonight but I'm waking up every 45 minutes. How long did these gas pains last for you guys?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Take some Gas X strips for your gas pains it works wonders! I was sleeved on the 30th and I have been using them like crazy!! Only thing that help

Edited by mzyaz

The pain will pass in a few days. As others have said, chewable Gas X is your friend! Hang in there, it will soon be a distant memory. It's all worth it in the end!

Dayna, I woke up in excruciating pain after surgery too yesterday. A mix of gas a pain in my stomach. I finally felt some relief around 6 last night after dilaiuded in recovery and morphine in the room. Walked the halls 3 times, did my breathing and at about 10:00 pm pains came back in full force. Haven't slept yet, pain meds in 5 minutes. Surgery was 8;00a.m yesterdsy..sorry you're having a tough time. I haven't heard too many people have problems like thus so I felt completely blindsided!

I thought I was going in feeling pretty prepared as I've had a laparoscopic surgery before but that was regarding my tubal ligation. This was way worse! But on the plus side after this past nap my shoulder pain has improved. I had taken gas x and walked about five laps slowly. The pain under my ribs is still awful though, the nurse said that's more than likely the surgical pain. She just gave me a shot of something. Hope it helps.

Some of the gas is from the CO2 that is trapped in your abomination cavity. The surgeons use it to inflate your abdomen during surgery. In addition, your intestines are 'shocked' from the surgery and the result is lots of gas. So you are dealing with 2 types of gas. The GasX will only help the intestinal gas. Your body absorbs the CO2, but it takes several days. It's uncomfortable, as those of us who have been through it can attest, but the good news is, it gets better every day. Walking helps a lot too.

Dayna,thanks for sharing. I have a a question for all. To get rid of the gas, do you pass gas? Break wind? Etc...is that how the gas gets out? Or just move around til it settles in you? Ty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

When i had my surgery done the nurses said the only way to move the gas pain was walking I think over the next 24 hours I walked the paint off the floor I did feel better though and about 2 days later it was mostly gone

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Dayna,thanks for sharing. I have a a question for all. To get rid of the gas, do you pass gas? Break wind? Etc...is that how the gas gets out? Or just move around til it settles in you? Ty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using the BariatricPal App

The gas pain is from the CO2 they use to expand your abdomen. We exhale CO2 so there is a gas exchange at the cellular level and eventually the CO2 gets absorbed and most likely released through exhaling. Passing gas by farting helps if you have intestinal gas but this is different gas. Gas x won't really help with it, moving around (shifting in bed often when laying down) and walking is the best way to get rid of it. The gas molecules need to get to the place they can exchange and be expelled from your body through exhalation.

Hope that helps, the first day after surgery was the worst for me (my sister said I looked pitiful slumped over in a chair super pale lol) but it was all up from there! I hope you feel better soon

Walk, walk, walk. You may not want to, but it works wonders for the gas!