Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! Freaking out - need honest feedback

I had surgery on Dec 29th. Did it hurt, yes. Were there moments of extreme discomfort from gas pain, absolutely. But all of this was completely manageable with pain medication! To say you are not going to feel anything is silly because you will be uncomfortable and in pain at times for the first 3-4 days. Then it's easy. I'm barely bruised now. I took 90g of Protein daily to recover and it's worked great. I was so scared and anxious before surgery and it's understandable you are worried. Hang in there, you will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by Mandybb

I had my surgery back in 2014 and I remember the pain well. The best way to relieve the gas pain is to take the medications as ordered by the Dr and as soon as they tell you that you can walk, walk. Even slowly walking in the hallways of the hospital will help the gas bubbles move down and 'out'. Best wishes

I had sleeve 12/16/16 and literally NO pain, no gas. Only felt nauseous the next morning getting dressed to leave and got some Med in my IV and that went away quick. I read a lot too so was actually shocked at how good I felt.

I had the sleeve and had minimal to no gas pain. I had mentally prepared for it and was relieved to have skipped that. I was up walking right when I got in my room and I walked every 30 minutes. I did have the dissolving gasX just in case.

Do not get scared. My recovery was great and way easier than I imagined.

The pain I experienced was far from blinding or excruciating and I was off pain meds by the time I went home on the third day.

Don't be discouraged. I had my surgery on 12/26. So 10 days ago. I had gas pains, but they weren't so bad that I was feeling like I was going to perish. The more you walk the easier and better the gas pains feel. WALK! WALK! WALK! After my surgery I slept off my anesthesia and instantly got up to walk. I walked a mile right after surgery and the gas was minimal.

When I had my surgery, there was one thing that they pressed me to do concerning a potential gas issue - WALKING. The Gas-X strips and the "Hospital Shuffle" laps with the IV Drip in tow should help to reduce and gas issues.

Also, attitude is VERY important, so PLEASE don't go into your surgery with the full expectation of "unbearable pain". Try to focus on your new life reset and the excitement of clothes shopping every 4-6 weeks!!

Hi, I completely understand that you are looking for stories where people have experienced little to NO pain. I don't want to be negative because I'm sure you don't want to hear it but we all have the same goal in mind and that's to lose weight and get healthy. BUT I'm going to be 100% honest with you because I wish someone would have sat me down and explained to me what I could possibly experience.

Everyone is NOT the same, I have family members and friends who has done the sleeve and the RYN and none of them experienced the level of pain I did. My sister had surgery a week before I did and is still experiencing horrible nausea. Even though she was perfectly fine and content up until she reached week 3. These surgery are painful! Yes, there are plenty of people who either do not experience the same level of pain as other but this is what happened to me, I was in excruciating pain for days. I technically still get pain and I'm between 2-3 weeks post op. The gas pain I only experienced the first 2 days then it subsisted. I was in pain in the hospital no matter what pain meds they would put me on and had to return to the hospital 1 day after being discharged due to incontrolable nausea and vomiting.I couldn't take the liquid pain meds I was prescribed or the nausea medication because I could not keep it down. So I stopped taking them bother all together after I was discharged the second time. Who ever is on your FB group is not being weak or wimpy, they are being honest. So my suggestion is to be prepared for the worst possible. Because if your not, you will have a very difficult time.

I had the sleeve on Nov 23rd. I had no gas pain. After I got out of recovery and had a good stress cry my husband and I fell asleep for about 2 hrs. The nurses left us alone for that while. Once I woke up I was fine. My incisions hurt when I sat up and I was scared to move around too much on my own so my husband would help me sit up and such. The same night of surgery I did about 10 to 15 mins of walking around the ward. The next morning they removed my catheter ( I was cathed during surgery and had low urine output so they made me keep it in till the next morning once I was producing enough). I asked them to unhook the monitors and stuff and I did a bunch of laps. Once I got back in the room I sat on the couch cause I hate hospital beds. The surgeon came in and was surprised. He asked if I wanted to home and I was like YES PLEASE. So he signed my release and I got to come home about 11am the day after surgery . On the way home we went grocery shopping. I took it slow and was fine. The last pain med I had was IV tylenol the night of surgery. The only pain I experienced felt like I'd done a lot of situps.

My sister in law had the sleeve with my surgeon 1 year ago. She said she had very mild gas pain but did have enough surgical pain to warrant a 2 night hospital stay and tylenol 3 for about a week.

Sent from my SM-G935T using the BariatricPal App

I love what @@BigDog Bryan said...so much of it is expectation. I knew I'd have some pain and I did. I also knew the staff would do everything they could to help manage it and they did. It was fine. Walk, walk, walk...and drink fluids.

Hi all. My surgery is Jan 20, and I'm in a Facebook group with others having sleeve surgery in January. The ones that have already had the procedure are describing horrible pain from gas. I have yet to read somebody who said it was tolerable. Everyone is in excruciating pain for the first few days, some even staying in the hospital 3 nights.

Does anybody have a surgery story where the pain was bearable? I know it's going to be painful, but I'm not ready for the blinding pain that's being described by others. Help! I'm freaking out!!

I was really worried about the pain after surgery as well. In recovery, apparently I complained so bad that they did an EKG to make sure everything was fine. Thank God it was. But I don't even remember the pain in recovery. Yes, the gas was bad. Pretty bad at times. BUT it was not unbearable !!! Take gas x strips and walk as much as possible because it's the only thing that will help. Best of luck!

I was sleeved 8 days ago. I stayed in the hospital for 1 night and pain was bearable enough to go home the next morning, but they made me stay 24 hours. I was on Hycet pretty religiously the first day out of the hospital, but I was up moving, taking stairs the same day out of the hospital...so Day 2. Gas pain wasn't any big deal, like it was with my band! I was up and grocery shopping on day 7 and back to work day 8. Energy level is a little low because of lack of calories, but the sleeve surgery beat the band surgery BIG TIME! And I had a band removed with the sleeve surgery, so more scarring to remove and overall prodding around in my body! I was off of pain meds completely on day 4. Everyone is different, but it totally depends on your pain tolerance! Good luck! It will be worth it one day!!!

SW:327 CW:239 GW:155

Heather in Texas

Everyone has already had great replies to this topic but I will tell my experience since my surgery was just on Wednesday. I had minor pain and no gas pain at all. They only had me on iv pain meds for the first 8 hours or so. After that they wanted me to use liquid for pain. I did that it was fine. Now I am home and I have a small amount of pain but it is very manageable. For me, everything was easier and less pain than I expected. But that is just my experience.