Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Interesting NYT article on WLS

Bill, you have lost 121 pounds and you aren't even 6 months.

I expect you will lose a lot more.

When I started this, if I am going to be honest, even though I set a goal of 180, I really never thought I would get below 250. I accept that I would be a smaller plus sized woman forever. Well now that I am easily under 200, and far before the 2 year mark, I am aiming for 165.

I think a guy your height and build 275 would be a nice weight.

I will never be thin. I did not expect that coming into this. If I hit my goal, I will be ecstatic. At that weight, I will still be classified as just about morbidly obese, but knowing my body and looking at the other numbers beyond BMI, I know better, and that is all that matters to me.

Great response, although I would just say that you might surprise yourself about being thin. And I say this from a personal perspective. I, also, said/thought I would never be thin. I was always fat with the exception of a few years where I wrestled/played football as a kid.

When I started out, I was 333 at 5'8" and just the thought of being around 200 seemed impossible. I am 9+ months out from surgery and about 11 months out from starting the weight loss process. I am now 148lbs and thin by any objective measure.

I'm not saying you will be thin, that you even desire to be thin, or that you should aspire to be thin. Just saying that this surgery is really amazing thing that may surprise you in a lot of ways. I'm not special. I got thin just by following my plan and doing what I was supposed to.

Thank you. I am open minded. I started out with a goal of 325 after doing the math, based on the information provided by the people at my program - math based on fat, Water, and muscle mass. I revised that down to 300 after I got started. If I go lower than 300 without losing muscle, I am fine with that. But, I will be very surprised.

I liked the article. The fact that rang the truest for me was resetting your set point. That weight which your body fairly naturally seems to want to be at. Although I fluctuate a few pounds up and down these past 10 years, I seem to stay at a size that I like (12) and that I can keep up with healthy eating and twice a week work outs. It took years for me to not fight with myself over food.< /p>

The tamped down hunger factor really made this lifestyle stick, compared to all the dieting before.

I think it is all relative. Starting from a high weight....

100 lbs gone for good might be the best ending. Others want a specific goal and can attain it.... I ended up being where my body wanted to be.... and I feel fine and healthy. And thankful a decade later. My life is so much more navigable at a " normal" weight. I don't feel like I have to waste time and energy thinking about it.... that is worth a whole lot to me.,

We all have different ideas and goals. It is nice to see seasoned people discussing them. Civically!!!

Edited by Julie norton

Bill, you have lost 121 pounds and you aren't even 6 months.

I expect you will lose a lot more.

When I started this, if I am going to be honest, even though I set a goal of 180, I really never thought I would get below 250. I accept that I would be a smaller plus sized woman forever. Well now that I am easily under 200, and far before the 2 year mark, I am aiming for 165.

I think a guy your height and build 275 would be a nice weight.

We shall see. I am not opposed to it, and I am certainly motivated. It would be a weight I have not seen in over 30 years. I am going to post this picture in a couple of weeks on the day itself in my own thread, but here is a sneak preview. I am approximately 270 in this picture, which will be 33 years old in a little less than two weeks.

post-305822-0-00637700-1483490244_thumb.jpg

Lap band surgery was approved in the US in 2001. It has been in Europe since approx. 1993. The weightloss success rate for lap band is the same 3 years post surgery as gastric bypass and sleeve. I wonder if there is a scientific study regarding lap band issues and the cause. I know numerous people who love the band and are successful with it.