Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I thought the first 3 days were supposed to be the worst

help.gifI thought the first 3 days of a low carb diet were supposed to be the worst. Well, today is day 5 of my pre-op diet and it is the worst so far. I did have the headaches and stomach cramping the first 3 days but had no cravings during that time. I would rather have the headaches and stomachaches any day over this starving, craving madness. I feel like I could chew my arm off right now.

My pre-op diet consists of a Protein shake for Breakfast and 2 light meat and veggie meals and a Protein shake at bedtime. And, I'm sorry for complaining because I know many of you are on a straight liquid diet and that sucks but so does this. I'm so hungry and I don't even know what I want but it does not involve meat or Protein shakes. I did have a bit of low fat cottage cheese earlier because the Protein Shake did not satisfy me this morning like it has the past 4 mornings but the cottage cheese didn't do anything for me either. Please help....I'm starting to wonder if I can even do this!!!!

YOU can do this my friend! Look at this as a sort of training ground. It will not always be this difficult. I was amazed at what I discovered about my relationship with food during the pre op diet. Take it one hour at a time--one minute if necessary and try not to think about how many days left! Just stay in the now. You will be so happy that you did it! It is a great feeling to see yourself shrinking from week to week! Hang in there!

Yes, today is much better for me than yesterday was. Last night I was just moping around and I didn't know what to do with myself. Normally, I would have been watching TV and snacking....but, I didn't. I worked on some homework, worked on some ebay stuff.....just basically found stuff to keep myself occupied and today hasn't been nearly as hard. The girls in the office ate Carls Jr for Breakfast and I really didn't even care!

Maybe I had a good doctor or maybe it's just because I'm young, but I had it pretty easy. I was almost normal again by day 3. Weird, huh?

Stick to the plan!!!!! You're going to do awesome!!!!

Help, I am on day 2 of the preop liquid diet and I am starving! Anyone have any suggestions for me?

Mandi78 thanks for your reply. I discovered I can have crystal light and it helped satisfy my hunger. I know I will have a better day today!

When they say it gets easier.....it does!!! I was able to sit in a room, TWICE, with people eating pizza...LOL My mouth was watering, but I was a good girl...sippin' on my Crystal Light!

You're a trooper Kimmie. I think I would have had to have one piece anyway. Did you frequently feel lightheaded and weak and go to bed with gnawing pain in your stomach from hunger? I'm having this problem and I'm not even on the liquid diet. I get about 1000-1200 calories per day with shakes and meat/veggie meals but it still sucks.

What were you allowed on the liquid diet? Did you get Soup or just broth?

And, it doesnt help when people at work are sitting in there eating Jack in the Box for breakfast and talking about what they are going to have for lunch. Geez....

I am on day 4 of my pre-op diet.

I am allowed:

5 slim fast optima shakes

2 cups veggies

broth

sugar free Jello

sugar free ice pops

diet/caffiene free soda or iced tea

Water

Decaf coffee

I still have a slight headache, but that extreme hunger feeling really has gone away. I would LOVE to eat something, but I'm not going to sabotage what I've already done. I have 10 days until surgery.

I am on day 4 of my pre-op diet.

I am allowed:

5 slim fast optima shakes

2 cups veggies

broth

sugar free Jello

sugar free ice pops

diet/caffiene free soda or iced tea

Water

Decaf coffee

I still have a slight headache, but that extreme hunger feeling really has gone away. I would LOVE to eat something, but I'm not going to sabotage what I've already done. I have 10 days until surgery.

That is a lot of food really. Especially if you concentrate on looking at what you are putting in your body. Look at each one of those slim fast shakes. Each one is supposed to be a meal. That is 5 meals, which is a lot anyway.

I am on two clear liquid meals and 1 small meal for dinner. and then all Clear liquids the day before surgery. I am very lucky, I spaced mine out, and did not really have any hunger. Remember when you are only taking in liquid, you are getting no real source of nutrients into your body. So, you may want to have something with a small amount of sugar in it, and you will find it satisfies you. Generally speaking, when you have items with fake sugar in them, they actually cause hunger. This is because the brain feels that it now wants sugar even more, and was never satisfied in the first place. So you can actually end up drinking more sugar and more calories.

I have had to fortune of studying nutrition and health, and so my beliefs on eating are far different then a lot of people. I am also allergic to fake sugar, and my body gets really ill, so I STAY FAR FAR away from fake sugar.

Hope all of you have good eating experiences.

:clap2:

Hi all, I am on day 5 of the pre-op liquid diet. I have had some rough days but it is getting better. I found out I can have crystal light and sugar free Jello so that helps. I am counting the days until surgery. Oct 3. Anyone else here in Mich with an Oct surgery date? :)

I'm on day 3 of my pre-op diet and I'm thinking how lucky you all are for being allowed to have veggies or Optifast. My diet is two weeks of nothing but non-fat milk! Yes you read it right... nothing but MILK!!!! and I don't even like milk that much. I find my mind floats away to all kinds of delicious things to eat without me even realizing it until I'm salivating and drooling....lol. Surgery date is October 5th, hope I can make it - don't know if I can take another 11 days of starvation.

That is a lot of food really. Especially if you concentrate on looking at what you are putting in your body. Look at each one of those slim fast shakes. Each one is supposed to be a meal. That is 5 meals, which is a lot anyway.

I am on two clear liquid meals and 1 small meal for dinner. and then all clear liquids the day before surgery. I am very lucky, I spaced mine out, and did not really have any hunger. Remember when you are only taking in liquid, you are getting no real source of nutrients into your body. So, you may want to have something with a small amount of sugar in it, and you will find it satisfies you. Generally speaking, when you have items with fake sugar in them, they actually cause hunger. This is because the brain feels that it now wants sugar even more, and was never satisfied in the first place. So you can actually end up drinking more sugar and more calories.

I have had to fortune of studying nutrition and health, and so my beliefs on eating are far different then a lot of people. I am also allergic to fake sugar, and my body gets really ill, so I STAY FAR FAR away from fake sugar.

Hope all of you have good eating experiences.

:clap2:

I'm on a fat free/sugar free diet. I can only have the "fake sugar". I'm taking in approximately 1000 calories per day.

Hi All, I had my lap band surgery on 8/2, I" ve lost some weight pre surgery, but it is now past 2 mos and it does not feel like iIam dropping the pounds like i thought I would, (and I really do not eat alot), also I get this pain in my neck when I am chewing/swallowing foods, my doctor said it will go away in eventually, can anyone else related? :rain: