Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 months post-op food issues

I was sleeved on September 19 and went through the phases with little difficulty. When I got to phase 4 (solid Protein, veggies and fruit) I began to struggle. My stomach constantly feels bubbly. While I was able to eat 4-6 ounces of soft food, now I can barely get 3 in. Also, all protein makes me nauseous. meat, Beans, cheese, cottage cheese, tuna, Protein Shakes. All of it makes me gag to get it down. But I can tolerate things like mashed potatoes or Tomato Soup. The last week everything I've eaten goes right through me. Has anyone experienced any of this? I'm getting so discouraged and starting to worry a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I agree. This needs to be addressed by your Dr.

I echo the other comments to talk to your surgeon and team.

However, I'll also offer this... people tend to think once they've been released to a full diet that they're all done healing and they should be able to eat anything and in normal amounts.

Think of your stomach like a baby's stomach. It used to be a big bag, and now it's been re-structured as a long tube. It has to re-learn how to deal with each and every kind of food. We start off with liquids and move up through purees and soft foods and keep trying things in small stages over and over. It's not a one-and-done deal.

With each new food that you're introducing, the best results happen when you give the sleeve just a little - a spoonful maybe, or one very small bite and see how it goes. Chew the ever-living stuffing out of it, until you think you just can't chew anymore, especially if it's dense like steak. Then try it again another day. Don't overwhelm the sleeve with too much all at once - too much of the same stuff, or too much new stuff all at the same time. And if something doesn't sit well, leave it for a couple of weeks before trying it again. My doc told me some people don't tolerate eggs right off, even though they're listed in the soft foods phase, but if they come back to them after other Proteins are sitting well they often can tolerate them then.

Some people have steel guts, and can throw anything at their sleeve and it's fine. Others need to take it a little more gingerly.

I'm 4 months out, and some days things that sat well before just don't that day, but are fine a couple of days later. I really have had to learn to listen to my body, eat VERY SLOWLY with very small bites, and if something isn't going down well, walk away from it and try something else. It can be very frustrating but it's also been a great learning experience in listening to my body and intuitive eating. Some days I don't get my Protein in, but I'm getting better at it, and learning lots of different foods I can use to feed myself with.

Just keep at it, and take it slow and steady!

How are you doing now? I am 2 mnths out and feeling the same way