Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First time poster, finding the pre op diet...easy plus other qs.

Good Evening all,

I was told on Wednesday evening i am to have my sleeve on the 3rd of January, this caught me completely cold as ive been waiting that long. I immediately started my pre op diet and in 4 days have lost 7 pounds which is crazy.

Obviously we have Christmas coming up and well...my 30th birthday (new years eve). Now I get the deal with alcohol but how long before surgery should i stop ? For the record i haven't had a drop for 7 days now but i wouldn't mind a couple of drinks at Christmas and here or there, not so bothered about my birthday as i appreciate its very close to my op day....would this be an issue ? I wouldn't drink 8 days before surgery however i havent had direction on this, i see my nutritionist on Wednesday :/.

In regards to my pre op diet, at the moment it consists of this daily :

Breakfast : Meal Replacement shake, low carb, high Protein

lunch : Same again however i may add half a chicken breast for bulk

Dinner: Tonight i have chicken breast and stir fry, tiny tiny tiny bit of mint sauce

Obvs i am having sugar free fluids (mainly Water but pepsi max every now and then)

Does this seem ok ?

For what its worth, im 6ft tall, male and im weighing in at 19st 10, i hope to be 19st flat for surgery. Not sure If this makes any difference, figured id put it.

p.s on a last note, i was so against this surgery yesterday but i came on here and m view point has just dramatically changed, i am looking forward to living again, thank you.

Yes, I think it would be an issue, for a couple of reasons.

First, the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver so your surgery can proceed safely and short of choosing to infect yourself with hepatitis, drinking is the worst thing you can do to your liver with respect to its health and size.

Second, and more importantly I think, is the mental and emotional aspect of it. Do you really want to start off your new, healthy life by deciding that your surgeon's instructions and guidelines mean nothing and you can choose to disregard them if it makes you happy and your life easier? It may not seem like it, but IMO this is a slippery slope kind of thinking that can lead you far away from the kind of commitment and mental toughness you are going to need to be successful. Similarly, you should get in the habit now of not letting other people's reactions and comments dictate your dietary choices. You need to be stronger than that.

For the record, I lost over 200 lbs (over 14 stone) and am now maintaining my weight at a healthy level, and I did it by following my surgeon and health team's guidance with respect to diet incredibly strictly. That's the method that works for me. Good luck!

Edited by Bufflehead

I agree that the alcohol won't help your liver. Also the sugar and carbs are not likely on your preop diet. You will get to have alcohol again when your surgeon releases you for it.

Ok well i kind of knew that and honestly the past weekend was the first weekend in a while where i havent wanted a drink so i see no reason to change this. It'll do me good :).

I'm hoping my diet is ok, sugar free everything, high Protein and limited carbs is what im doing, ill check in the with the nutritionist on Wed.

Thank you for your honest input and wow....200lbs! Ill have to find some before / after pics which i hope youve posted as that is brilliant, I want to lose about 7 stone so 98 -100 pounds.