Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Solid Foods, Pbing, Family And More!!!

Hey Guys

I've got a bunch to unload and ask about and hopefully some other newbies can benefit from you really wise lap sages . I was banded 11/11 in NYC..So far I am doing great weight loss wise. I know men have this weirdly unfare advantage but I'm taking advantage of it. I started my journey 2 weeks pre-surgery at my heaviest weight ever of 302.5. This morning 12/17 I am 256. 46 1/2 loss is really cool and I am so psyched. But............

I started eating solids last Thursday and then got my first fill Monday 1.2 cc...I'm really so unclear about what will go thru and be easy and what gets stuck and will make me feel so sick..My first solid experiment was with my wife. We went out for Chinese lunch last Thursday. I had just had a prostate biopsy done that morning after a pre-surgical exam scare..The biopsy was the pits but thankfully all is well..Anyway, the lunch.....I had 2 pcs of sesame chicken ( i know bad choice ) and a couple of spoons of shrimp with peanuts and I was off to the bathroom 2 or 3 times feeling horrible...No actually throwing up but white stuff coming up many times...After about half an hour I felt better..My wife was pretty upset that I had made the poor choices and ate the pcs too fast...

Next...Sunday was at a family party---Had a chicken thigh and some salad...After a few bites of the dry chicken--off to the bathroom---sick, awful feeling, etc---passed in about 30 minutes...

Next- Wed lunch---had 2 bites of a minced pork , guacomole, salad thing at a Mexican place and off to the bathroom for the sick run.....

Last---last night had dinner with my wife and 2 kids....They had steak and stuff--I had crab meat with cocktail sauce..Took a couple of spoons on my plate of mashed potatoes with some sauted onions..After 2 forks of the crabmeat -ok--then took a bite of the mashed potato with onion and all hell broke loose...Off to the bathroom..Felt terrible and worse caused a bit of a scene at the table with the kids...My son is aware of the surgery but my 11 yr old daughter thinks I had a hernia operation...We feel she is too much of a blabbermouth and she also has her own serious medical issues to deal with...She got scared with my bathroom antics--went to the bathroom off the kitchen like 5 times and made some awful noises in there I guess..Anyway 30 minutes and all was well.

By the way mushy stuff goes down fine and some solids with sauce ok too..Had a spicy tuna sushi roll for lunch yesterday and surprisingly was fine..

Sorry for all the blabbering..My point is----my wife feels that I shoudn't inflict this stuff on the family and should get my act together.If I have a problem I should just leave the room and not return until it is over...I guess she is right but I feel it is harsh...Help...

Thanks

Steve

NY LAPSTER

Guest daveoinokc

I feel your pain. I do P.B, although I find that I do it more after a fill (for about 2 weeks) than later.Your weight loss is outstanding, and actually alot more than normal for being 6 weeks out. It took me months to get that much off. I can only share my personal experience on how I dont P.B

1. I do not drink Water in or around meals --If I get that now to all

familiar feeling, and take even a sip, it gets bad and fast!

2. I chew even the smallest items to a pulp. I find this fundamental in not getting sick.

3. I push the plate away after even the slightest discomfort. I may continue to eat, but I try to really guage where I am at with it.

4. I dont eat soft bread or breaded things

5. Soft food dont make me throw up

All this being said, and I have heard several other suggestions about how to avoid this, but I don't do them. If I get a fill, I am going to throw up for a while. Alot of what I do P.B is saliva that I swollow after I have commited a food no no. You are not alone. Some people cannot eat chicken, beef or both. I have really good luck with fish, and eat it often. Good luck, Dave

Steve, great weight loss! But I'm so sorry that you're having problems. Are you drinking plenty of Water during the day? Like a good amount right before you eat to help get some moisture in. But NOT with your meals. Are you eating moist meats (and using sauces if needed)? Are you eating very, very small bites and chewing it to bits before swallowing? Stress can tense you up. Do you feel "under the gun" when you eat with your family? Those episodes are definitely not good! Thankful your biopsy was good!

Yikes! It does sound as if you may be either eating too quickly or not chewing your food to a more 'mush' state. I've heard of some people having issues with chicken, but I've never had more than a very real 'stop' sign saying that I am done with it. Pb'ing is never fun and like you, the times I have had to do it, one trip has not really always taken care of the offending piece of material. You do know that once you've PB'd your meal is over, right? That is the rule with the band. If you pb, never return and try to eat more. This means you are 'done' with that meal and your tummy/esophagus needs to rest after that episode. Also, some foods just automatically can be a problem. Mashed potatoes you definitely have to go slow with, if at all, due to the fact that they 'settle' around the opening of your band, sort of like sand in a funnel. They'll pass, but they do tend to settle first and move slowly downward. Another reason why our 'guideline's state that we should avoid breads, rice, Pasta and potatoes. Firstly, these are high calorie choices, but secondly and really more importantly, they are going to eventually turn on us and make us regret it. lol.

Also, please be careful not to get into this 'eat and pb' rut. This is very dangerous to your esophagus AND your band. It is going to happen, but it sure should not be happening every week or several times a week. It'll take time to adjust, but go very very slowly and chew until everything is basically disintegrated and DO NOT drink to wash it on through.

You're doing great with the weight loss!! Congratulations!

Steve, you were banded 11/11 and have gotten a fill? That is very soon. It sounds like you could be too tight. If so, a slight unfill should help. Being too tight is very dangerous and will not help you lose weight faster.

Thanks for the feedback..All is well taken advice but I'm sure will be a learning experience. We're going on a family vacation over XMAS to Florida so I want to learn fairly fast so as not to make my eating or not eating a focal point of attention...As far as an early fill ..it was 4 weeks post surgery and thought to be fine...We'll see....My surgeon is Dr Ren and I have alot of confidence in her ..

Thanks

Steve

Even the best doctor can put a little too much fill in us. I would suggest you call and talk to her BEFORE you leave to go out of town. You certainly don't want to get out of town and have problems. It might just take a timy bit of unfill to make you feel better. You certainly should not be PBing that much!

Hi Steve,

I'm very surprised your doctor did a fill on you so soon after being able to eat solids. I was actually a little scared of solids and took it real slow the initial first couple of weeks. I had already experienced an unpleasent near PB experience before then so I really didn't want to take any chances. When I eat a successful meal I'll take a few initial bites chewed well and a little slowly. I'll pause for a few minutes after that and see how it is reacting. Most of the time that goes smoothly. I'll then go on to finish my meal slowly and well chewed stopping and taking a break if I get any kind of unpleasant twinge. You will get better at reading your band thru experience. I can pretty much eat anything if I work at it properly. I find mixing meals like mashed potatos and meat can be a bit dangerous... If you take a bite of meat and then the potatos it all kind of goes down like a rock. Fills times are also supposed to be based upon when you feel ready for them... I didn't get my first one till 6 months out because I was still losing and feeling satiated from my meals. It sounded like you were still losing and experiencing restriction before your fill. Best of luck to you, Teresa

P.S. When I PB now it is ussually just only enough to get the offensive peice out. It is painless and over quickly. I also find that it can take several minutes before you realize you might not have chewed a bite well enough. If I have had a good portion of my meal and just happened not to chew one of the last bites well enough it takes a few minutes before it hits the opening and causes a reaction.

I was so scared at first that I ate very tiny bites and chewed them to liquid. I also think that you had a fill too early. The stomach can stay swollen quite a while, and you need to be eating solids for a while to even know if a fill is needed. I had restriction without a fill, but my doctor wanted me to be very successful, so he talked me into a fill. I had 2 months of trouble (going back on liquids for a month, too) and now have no fill at all, which is what I need right now.

I know you are loving the quick weight loss -- and you are doing fantastic! -- but the trouble you are having is very dangerous. You have hardly healed and you are vomiting often. This is a perfect set-up for a slippage. Have you told your doctor that this is happening? I think you should if you haven't. You want your band to be in good shape for the long term, you will need it later. :(

Hope things settle down for you soon. Your family is your best support group, so listen to them about how things are really going. Congratulations on the great loss so far. Now make that band work the way it is supposed to! :Bunny

Thanks Rebecca !!!! I Called My Doctor As You Suggested..she Feels That I Have Been Eating Too Fast And Not Chewing Well Enough..i Haben't Actually Vomited Any food Up, Just Spat Up Some White Flemmy Stuff...your Advice And Everyone's Is Great. I Just Have To Re-learn How To Chew And At What Speed.. My Wife Has Been Thru Alot With Me And Has Been Very Supportive Although Like A Typical Man I Always Want To Be Taken Care Of And Am Sometimes Unappreciative..thanks !!

Steve

My doctor told me he thought I was eating too fast or not chewing enough, so I asked my husband what he thought. He agreed. After I got more comfortable with the band, I relaxed and did not take such great care.

It is hard to slow down and be careful. I find if I don't eat soon enough and let myself get too hungry, I set myself up for some fast eating and misery.

Glad you talked to you doctor. You are doing great!

Steve, I remember you have a very sweet, concerned wife. She posted on here when you were rehospitalized w/dehydration and bad pain - right after you were banded. That's one of the reasons I was concerned about you getting a fill too soon and possibly too much. Please listen to your body, if something hurts or isn't right, then follow up on it without delay. The dr. only knows what we tell them. Hope all is well.

After each of my fills I have had a learning curve. I've had 2 so far.

mashed potatoes are an issue for me unless they have a good amount of gravy or other such stuff.

In my mind, we never get past the mushy stage. whatever we eat needs to be chewed into mush before we swollow it. Just be careful to yourself. Seriously think about what you are eating, and how it feels before you swollow it. Put down your fork/spoon/whatever in between bites. These things have helped me when I eat too fast. If you feel any pressure in your chest (even just a little) don't take the next bite until it's gone. You may not be done with your meal at that little bit of pressure, but definately wait until it passes to continue.

Good luck with your christmas vacation :(

Dear New Hope

My wife is sweet and very concerned ..I think you may have me confused with someone else though..I , luckily was never rehospitalized after banding and didn't have dehydration...I hope that person is doing OK though..

Thanks

Steve