Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

TENaciousTENS "roll call" as promised!

Judy- Since you are an experienced bandster could you give us some info. We are all getting to that point before first fill where we are getting discouraged and the weight loss is stalling. Is this normal and when do things pick up again?

Hi Carot,

YES...for sure yes it is very normal. It is not until the second or even 3rd fill that most people get any true restriction like that you might have had just days after the surgery when your stomach was still perhaps swollen and getting use to the band. It is very important that the fill be done slowly so your stomach does not swell causing slip or errosion. Remember, you want this band to be happy around your stomach for your life and it's worth it knowing that in a few months you will be flying in bandland lossing around 2 pounds a week....but it does not happen until there is true restriction which takes time.

For example in my own 10cc bands like the Vanguard or the new AP-s, your doctor would have put only 3cc into the band at surgery, then the first fill will be to 4cc or maybe 4.5cc which puts the band at a neutral pressure (meaning it only fills out the intertude's baffolds without restriction to the walls of the stomach). So then you have to wait another 3-4 weeks before the first restrictive fill. The second and on going forward is only another 1 cc, so now there is restriction on the stomach but it may not be enough. To me this period is the most frustrating point of waiting for your stomach to heal and get to true restrictive fill range (70-90% of the band capasity). You are thinking well I had the surgery why am I so hungry....because you don't have true restriction on the stomach and they have to wait to find that perfect fill point that is best for each person. So I understand and am expecting restriction and true weight-loss with the tool only begining after fill #4 (in 5-6 months after surgery....not fill #1.

So after surgery it is so IMPORTANT to focus on restrictive dieting by eatting correcty in prep for restriction AND excercising which are your other two legs to this three legged stool. It will not happen without all three legs stable and supporting. If you stay focused on these 2 you will loss weight but it's harder. So two legs are good while you MUST wait for the lap-band to be restricted.

So my advice is reset your schedule expectation...not your weight-loss expectation. I know for some this is not what you wnt to hear but it is truth from one who already knows....I sincerely hope it helps everyone to get into some type of excercise now cause if you do, you will be so much futher ahead. I wish all of us the best results...let's keep working hard together cause I am right there with you.

Thanks judy.....that was some great information...i'm bringing up the rear here, just banded on oct 31st...i had to have my gallbladder out first on oct 1st due to stones, and they had to repair a hiatal hernia during my banding surgery..... feeling good...but so sick of Clear liquids, thankfully he said if i was feeling good i could start Protein shakes and skim milk on tuesday......back to work tommorrow...it' a beautiful day here in ct, so i'm going to venture out for my first walk today.....

Eileen

Hi everyone! Well I'm 4 days post-op, banded on Oct 31, Eileen...I'm right there bringin' up the rear with ya!

Judy we appreciate the detail in your post, especially re: restrictive dieting!!!!!!!

Have a good day everybody! It's beautiful here in Virginia :)

Judy, thanks for the good info...I was banded on 10/11 and I have the new 10 cc band. My doctor did not put any Fluid in to start with, so I have been hungry from the get go. I got 3cc's on 10/25, just 2 weeks post op and the first few days made me think, wow, this is going to be good, but now that is had been almost two more weeks, I'm just a hungry as ever...I appreciate your encourgement to exercise and it has been what keeps me going because you feel so much better!! I have wanted to rush this process but after listening to you, I know it will come and I have to be patient so my band will last a lifetime!!

I am so excited!! My 1st fill appointment for my new band is now tomorrow morning. Someone else had canceled and my Dr. said call Judy!!! I love this man. This is so wonderful becasue I am only three weeks post-op on Wed. Oh, I am so-o-o-o excited that I am going to go swimming now for several hours. Just wanted to share my wonderful news. Yea!!!

Hi Judy,

that was great info - I have been feeling quite despondent about my ability to 1) feel full 2) not feel hungry 3) stall at 10kg lost 4) put weight back on!!! Only my very close family know about the band but I feel like I'm making excuses if I explain that the weight loss will be gradual and won't really kick in for a couple of months - there expectations are high so I guess I will print off your answer to give them and myself a reality check if that's ok with you.

thanks again for the information.

Jude

Dear Friends,

We are all at the same point..we SHALL get there. Thank-you for allowing me to help as I am always a little held-back with those I don't know. But I have such a passion about all of us learning from each other and this is more than any one of us or our doctors, who mostly don't have a band, could understand on our own.

We will all get there together...but until we do hit our "sweet spots" in a few months, we have to do well with eating AS IF we had restriction already and really focus on excercing. IF we do so we will be ready to loss -100lbs by this time next year. IT IS THE ONLY WAY.

OMG don't kill me everyone. I haven't updated the list in SO long. More than half the people on it don't post anymore, and there are a ton of new people! Maybe I'll try to do some this weekend. Sorry everyone for dropping the ball but it got so overwhelming :-(