Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping syndrome over time

Hi did anyone notice that their dumping syndrome gets better over time? When did you start noticing that?? I'm 6 months out and I have noticed a major improvement in my dumping syndrome compared to when to the first few months after my surgery. In fact I almost don't dump at all and can eat most Desserts I like (I just hope I don't gain a lot of weight back. Just 1-2 kg's is fine :) ).. however I still feel nauseated every time I have liquid milk, but icecream or porridge or frozen milk is fine !! There are still so many things with this surgery that don't make sense to me at all!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, the part of your stomach that process fats and sugars has been cut away. So if you consume either of these substances, this leads to dumping syndrome. But after many months, your intestines realize something is amiss and evolves to take up the slack. You body transforms. Therefore after this time, you stop dumping.

After RNY gastric bypass surgery, the part of your stomach that process fats and sugars has been cut away. So if you consume either of these substances, this leads to dumping syndrome. But after many months, your intestines realize something is amiss and evolves to take up the slack. You body transforms. Therefore after this time, you stop dumping.

That's a very good answer and explanation. Thanks.. but does it usually take around 6 months for this transformation to take place? I keep hearing people who keep losing for 18-24 months. I have reached my goal weight (and a bit more) by 6 months post-op.

I also heard the part that absorbs Iron is also bypassed and the only way to get enough Iron into the body is through supplementation and iron infusion. I have never taken any iron supplements after my surgery yet my iron levels at 3 and 6 months post-op were higher than pre-op.. (same with Vitamin B12 but I have been taking B12 supplements)

I would argue here. I never had dumping syndrome. I am 26 months post op. Recently i have had several episodes of full blown dumping. The shakes, sweats, heart racing and very sick to my stomach.

They have come on while eating things I probably shouldnt be (product 19 cereal) & pumpkin pie.

after having it 3 times with the Cereal, i figured out what was happening and threw the box away.

I am not sure why it could happen so late in the game and have done no research to figure it out but it is definately dumping.

I am pre-op but I have experienced dumping. I had major GI issues a few years back so was tested for food intolerances. My biggest one is soy. If I accidentally ingest soybean oil for example (such as at a restaurant since they seem to all cook with it cuz it's cheap), I get a strong reaction: I get flushed and sweaty and nauseated, with splotchy red Patches on my neck and chest and my heart races and I feel shaky and sick. In about 45 minutes, I get intestinal cramps and diarrhea.

Whenever the body is faced with something it can't process, it tries to "dump" it out as quickly as possible.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

Hi did anyone notice that their dumping syndrome gets better over time? When did you start noticing that?? I'm 6 months out and I have noticed a major improvement in my dumping syndrome compared to when to the first few months after my surgery. In fact I almost don't dump at all and can eat most desserts I like (I just hope I don't gain a lot of weight back. Just 1-2 kg's is fine :) ).. however I still feel nauseated every time I have liquid milk, but icecream or porridge or frozen milk is fine !! There are still so many things with this surgery that don't make sense to me at all!

My question??? Why are you eating anything that would cause you to dump? Perhaps I'm a bit naive here ( okay, I'm not, but trying to not be judgmental)

but if you ONLY had surgery 6 months ago, I don't get eating desserts and such. You're still in weight loss phase- the "honeymoon" stage, if you will.

This seems more like self-sabotage to me... but that's just MY OPINION and well, you know.

To each, their own...

Hi did anyone notice that their dumping syndrome gets better over time? When did you start noticing that?? I'm 6 months out and I have noticed a major improvement in my dumping syndrome compared to when to the first few months after my surgery. In fact I almost don't dump at all and can eat most desserts I like (I just hope I don't gain a lot of weight back. Just 1-2 kg's is fine :) ).. however I still feel nauseated every time I have liquid milk, but icecream or porridge or frozen milk is fine !! There are still so many things with this surgery that don't make sense to me at all!

My question??? Why are you eating anything that would cause you to dump? Perhaps I'm a bit naive here ( okay, I'm not, but trying to not be judgmental)

but if you ONLY had surgery 6 months ago, I don't get eating desserts and such. You're still in weight loss phase- the "honeymoon" stage, if you will.

This seems more like self-sabotage to me... but that's just MY OPINION and well, you know.

To each, their own...

If you read what I wrote you will know that I'm in the maintenance phase already. I have lost 100% of my excess weight and there is a risk I might lose more. So I am now put on a high calorie diet and it was actually my doctors advise to try and consume more sugar because a) sugar is the best way to stop weight loss and b ) I have been suffering from low blood sugar so I need to keep eating all the time and need to consume a bit of sugar. So far I am managing to stabilize my weight for the past 5 weeks.

Edited by mmy

I would argue here. I never had dumping syndrome. I am 26 months post op. Recently i have had several episodes of full blown dumping. The shakes, sweats, heart racing and very sick to my stomach.

They have come on while eating things I probably shouldnt be (product 19 cereal) & pumpkin pie.

after having it 3 times with the Cereal, i figured out what was happening and threw the box away.

I am not sure why it could happen so late in the game and have done no research to figure it out but it is definately dumping.

As I said before. So many things with this surgery that don't seem to make sense to me.. btw I had a MGB and not RNY. I was told my body will never absorb Iron and the only way through is to get Iron infusion. To my surprise and to my doctors too my iron levels are higher post-op than pre-op even though I never took any iron supplements. We had to repeat the tests to make sure.. I'm not sure what is happening with you and it really doesn't make sense to experience dumping after more than 2 years!!! Strange!

To each, their own...

If you read what I wrote you will know that I'm in the maintenance phase already. I have lost 100% of my excess weight and there is a risk I might lose more. So I am now put on a high calorie diet and it was actually my doctors advise to try and consume more sugar because a) sugar is the best way to stop weight loss and b ) I have been suffering from low blood sugar so I need to keep eating all the time and need to consume a bit of sugar. So far I am managing to stabilize my weight for the past 5 weeks.

No. Nowhere in that post does is say you are in maintenance...or that you've lost 100% of your weight, it says you're 6 months post op and you've experienced a change in your dumping syndrome... Which leads me to think -if you notice a change at 6 months out---you were eating dumping-causing foods even during WL PHASE...

And, quite frankly I don't know of any docs who will tell you to eat shakes or iced cream to keep your blood sugar up. There are plenty of things, like oh, Glucerna, that will do that, as well as other slow- releasing foods that don't cause dumping...

To each, their own...

No. Nowhere in that post does is say you are in maintenance...or that you've lost 100% of your weight, it says you're 6 months post op and you've experienced a change in your dumping syndrome... Which leads me to think -if you notice a change at 6 months out---you were eating dumping-causing foods even during WL PHASE...

And, quite frankly I don't know of any docs who will tell you to eat shakes or iced cream to keep your blood sugar up. There are plenty of things, like oh, Glucerna, that will do that, as well as other slow- releasing foods that don't cause dumping...

Read the second post.. well it was my doctors advise! I'm sure he knows better. There are two reasons to eat sugar and not one ..

Hi did anyone notice that their dumping syndrome gets better over time? When did you start noticing that?? I'm 6 months out and I have noticed a major improvement in my dumping syndrome compared to when to the first few months after my surgery. In fact I almost don't dump at all and can eat most Desserts I like (I just hope I don't gain a lot of weight back. Just 1-2 kg's is fine :) ).. however I still feel nauseated every time I have liquid milk, but icecream or porridge or frozen milk is fine !! There are still so many things with this surgery that don't make sense to me at all!

To each, their own...

Read the second post.. well it was my doctors advise! I'm sure he knows better. There are two reasons to eat sugar and not one ..

Yeah. I'd find another doctor. But that's just ME...

And when I'm quoting one post, I can't very well see what was written on another. No worries. I'm totally bowing out of this thread...