Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomaphyx(Revisional Product) & Lap Band Choice

I went to see my Dietician yesterday. While walking out of the office I noticed a post card reading “Still staring your weight loss goals in the face?...Now a non-surgical option for revisional surgery is available.”

Apparently there is a new weight loss product out called “Stomaphyx”. Here is there main website. http://www.endogastricsolutions.com/index.php?src=gendocs&ref=StomaphyX&category=Products&submenu=StomaphyX

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Unfortunately it reads like a sales pitch and doesn’t give much information unless you call them or ask for information via e-mail. It does have a diagram of the product though.

I found this site: http://www.biotech-weblog.com/50226711/stomaphyxa_novel_noninvasive_weightloss_surgery.php

<o:p></o:p>

It gives a brief description, but at least it refers to the procedure as revisional rather than an alternative to gastric bypass or Lap Band. The other site confuses this point by not stating clearly what Stomaphyx is for, at least the parts I read.

Anyway, I was pushed this way and that on my surgery choice. I was going to do the bypass because when I started all of this it was my only option. Now though, I have decided to do the Lap Band. But my Surgeon tried to “talk me out of it”. Not in a hardcore way, but she still mentioned it and I did think about the alternative. The Dietician on the other hand seems to…gosh I don’t know. I feel like she is not really behind my choice and it discourages me.

But then I saw this Stomaphyx thing and thought if gastric bypass is the miracle cure then why do they have to go back and fix it? Is there such a high percentage of patients whose stomachs stretch and they find themselves needing a revision? The fact that it is enough of a problem that researchers and medical companies have taken the time to create a new product for it makes me think that Lap Band is the way to go. It has a built in system for restriction already.

Of course, I do not understand the product fully; there wasn’t enough information on the sites. But still it is apparent that gastric bypass is not the miracle cure some would have me believe. Lap Band takes work and apparently the bypass doesn’t lessen this “burden”.

wow...I have never heard of that. All I know is this..I researched the band for 6 months before making my decision. Bypass was never an option I considered. Lap band has been a life saver..literally! I was banded in April of 2003..lost 95 lbs..and been maintaining now for over 2 yrs. I wish you luck in yoru decision!..

deb