Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I hate that I had this surgery

I know every time I post all I do is complain but I have no one who listens or understands. I regret this surgery so bad. My mom told me to eat too much and stretch my stomach out and go back to normal. Is she crazy or what? The other night my husband told me this wasn't his problem. And my mother in law who was a big support just doesn't get it.

I went to the local hospital Monday evening. I was hoping their ER would give me a different idea what's going on. I had tried to call my surgeon again that day and never heard back so I just went in here. They said I had starvation ketosis and my body was eating itself and I had low potassium. I ended up staying in the hospital for 2 days and told I would have to follow up with my surgeon because their Bariatric doctors won't touch someone else's patient. Well Ok then. I am constantly sick feeling or just feeling like crap. I don't feel right at all. I have spent a lot of time thinking lately trying to pin point things and I realize I started out ok but when I was able to switch to regular soft foods that's when this started. Now no matter what I have except Water I feel ill. I also realize if I try something more solid that's not pure liquid it feels like a brick in my stomach. I typically stick to a few spoons of broth or nothing. I'd rather not eat. Who wants to feel bad?

After coming home last night I left a message for the surgeons office and their PA called back. Every time I talk to him I have to start my story over. I have to repeat everything and get asked the same questions over and over. No I don't have a gallbladder, no I am

not vomiting, my surgery date was 10/17/16, etc. Don't they keep files or something? I tell him what the hospital here says and it's like in one ear and out the other. He thought I said starvation psychosis and I said no ketosis and then he said this is what happens when you go to other hospitals. I went to one with a Bariatric program! I figured they knew something. Anyway he told me to start over from day one of the diet. Ok fine. He says my stomach is inflamed blah blah and it's not because of what I did or did not do right and asks if I think that will help. I said no and he asked why and I said because I go days without eating so how could it be inflamed? But he still insists this. He tells me to come in on Monday morning to be seen and we can go from there unless it's still not better during this long weekend he says to call him and I can be sent to his hospital. Well it's still the same last night and today. All I do is cry and lay in bed or sleep. I only made it at work one day and here I am off again. I am not ok. All anyone ever runs are blood and urine tests. I have no more veins left to be poked. I feel like something is broke. I keep hearing some people take longer to heal. I'm not in pain I am sick! I don't understand what is going on. I can't live like this the rest of my life! The anti nausea meds don't work anymore. I want to call the surgeons office again and tell them I don't feel good still but I feel like it gets me no where. I used to think I was tough. I was wrong. Feeling sick is the worst thing. I never imagined this would be like this. I just want to go back and never do it. :(

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I can't imagine the frustration and despair you are verbalizing. I hope that your doctor will consider doing a scope to see if there are any abnormalities that formed. Good luck on Monday. Let us know how that goes.

I'm so sorry that you're feeling so bad! I've read that sometimes our hormones change right after surgery bc it's so stressful-those hormones can make you feel down and sad. Please don't over eat, that could be dangerous to your new staple line and cause a leak. I've also read that some nurses say that you will not be able to get all of your food in the first few weeks after surgery bc of the swelling in your stomach-maybe try to make sure you just get your Fluid in right now and be easy on yourself. Sounds like you need to take care of you right now!! Feeling sick is horrible but it will pass and get better. Take one hour at a time, you can make it and when you do ,you'll be so happy that you made it:)

I'm still pre-op, so I don't have much to say (because I don't know yet) about the first few weeks post op and all of that, and the posters before me seem to address that nicely.

I do just want to suggest a support group, though. It doesn't seem like you're getting much support at home. I know that everyone's relationship is different but if my significant other (we've been together 6 years and he and I live together) told me that the issues I am having from the surgery are "not his problem", I would need to reconsider our relationship.

I hope you get in touch with your surgeon soon and you start to feel better!

I will fully admit that I had an easy recovery but I want to add.

You are never going to better until you are getting some nourishment. So you should sip on broth with unflavored Protein powder all day. You are always going to feel sick and ill until you get get over 600 calories a day. The longer you go without eating and the less you eat, the harder it is going to be to eat and the worse you are going to feel. You are just going to feel weaker each day.

Drink Protein that is a Water consistency all day. Options are broth with Protein Powder, Protein2O Water, Syntrax Nectars.

Even someone with a stricture should be able to get down liquids that are of a watery consistency.

I'll echo that you need to do everything you can to get more Protein and calories in, and broth with unflavored Protein Powder will probably be the best way to do so. Sip on it all day if you have to. I started feeling much better when my Protein and calorie levels came out of the basement!

About your husband -- I don't know you or your relationship and I am a stranger on the internet, but I can't even fathom one's life partner saying that something troublesome "is not my problem." Seriously, what a douche. If my partner said something like that to me about anything (whether I brought it on myself or not), he'd be sleeping at the Hilton...

I hope the coming days find a solution and an improvement in your situation. Good luck!

GENEPRO helped me with this. I added a scoop to my hot Decaf tea and a scoop to my broth. I drank both all day. I strained out the noodles from Lipton chicken noodle Soup. I told all my friends in my support group that. It really turned my mind around. 24 hours later I felt much better. I hope your doctors appointment goes well on Monday.

I am so sorry you're having issues.

Some people have issues moving their diet along to purees/solids as early as others. When you have issues, go back to what worked for a while before trying again. If liquids are what works, stick with that for a while. Just be sure to work as hard as you can to meet your Fluid and Protein goals with Protein shakes/powder. Sip-sip-sip all day long, you do have to keep your nutrients and fluids up in order to heal.

Keep pressuring your medical team to stay on top of it. Sometimes nausea meds don't work or quit working, but others might still work. Ask them to change your script to something else.

I hope this resolves quickly for you!!

Im so sorry

Honestly i completely regret the surgery. I had a decision. My husband went with me to group and i started puree alittle sooner than my dic allowed...my doc was the only one w full liquid for 1 month. I WAS vomitting...I was crying hysterically etc

I chewed some food and felt 60% better. ....now im messing w brain to get through this.i set small goals and look foward to new foods...like scrambled eggs. Riccotta. Cottage cheese etc....all approved. If not i do lite excersice or sleep....i drop a pound a day! Keep your mind off of it but eat and sip in Water soon youll feel alot better and when you look in mirror you will not feel so bad!!!

Sent from my SM-G930T using the BariatricPal App

I'm sorry you are suffering so much. You made a big leap and life change and we all hope it goes in right. How devastating that it hasn't.

My opinion and how I would personally deal with it would be to go to another Bariatric doctor. If you find a good one that has a good team they might help you through this and get you healing. My surgeons team was amazing. They take out of town patients and have a nutritionist that does online/video sessions. I would do some research and see if you can find a doctor who will be beside you during this journey.

Hey there lady

Firstly, I don't think I can add much to the People who have posted before me.

There's loads of good supporting advice. Sadly this does not seem to be mirrored by your family.

This constant sickness is worrying. After your two day admittance to hospital did you feel better than when you went in? If you did then that is part of the answer.

I feel you are fighting this on so many fronts that knowing which way to go is a very difficult choice

Please keep us updated. We all want you to do well

Positive vibes from Kent. UK

I am 12 weeks out from surgery. I didn't feel good for a long time. I had wished I didn't do the surgery too. Maybe two weeks ago I finally felt much better. You will too. Get all your Protein in. Just drink and eat easy things.

I don't have too much to add

I am so so sorry.

I will say I did great free surgery- until 8 weeks and I went downhill . From 8-14 weeks I was super nauseas and ate very very very little. Like maybe 3-500 calories a day. Everything made me so grossed out and sick. I didn't feel fat anymore but I felt sick-- and that was worse.

This week it has turned around and I am feeling so much better. Yours sounds more serious than mine- I am so sorry. I wish you had more support at home and home that you get enough support here!!!

Could it be the types of food you are eating? Just a thought. I had surgery in Mexico and part of the meds I take is Plusgel. It's like Maalox. I drink 2 spoonfuls if I feel nauseated or full. And that happens, but once I take it, what a relief.

My sister had the surgery too and didn't like the way she felt after eating,always sick. But she wasn't taking her Plusgel. Once she started she was much better.

God bless you and please find a support group. You need a support team...fast!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using the BariatricPal App

Hi ,I've just started using orlistat from the doctors this week. Simply cus I'v tried everything, most slimming tabs. everything and anything and now is working.I really recommend it.

Sent from my SM-A710F using Tapatalk

Edited by aria.memar