Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it possible to start my second week diet a bit early. I can't drink anymore I am starving. What will happen if I eat a couple of teaspoons of cottage cheese, or yogurt? I had my surgery on Sept 6th.:help:

CALL YOUR SURGEON! We CANNOT and most of us WILL NOT tell you it is okay to go against your prescribed post-op diet.

I understand it is TOUGH, it really does SUCK. I've been there, and I'm sorry to say it gets harder. But you CAN do it. Here's a post I made in another thread about eating too early. Sorry, it's a bit TOUGH LOVE:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan70

I was banded on 8/10/07.I will be honest. I did not follow the instructionst to the T. I was supposed to be on Clear liquids for 2 wks and then soft mashed foods for 2 wks. I did eat Soups like mushroom and Tomato Soups the first 2 weeeks, By the 3 week I was on solid but soft foods.. I do not encourage doing what I did though I dont think I have had any problems.HOWEVER I did not eat solids until at least 2 wks later... Now for you is way too soon. Eat a hearty cream Soup before you think about solids

Susan's post is a good example of what most people say:"I didn't have any problems" or "It went down fine" or "I didn't have any pain" or "I chewed really well." Now while I am glad that Susan said she did not start solids until she was supposed to, and likely she won't have a problem from the soups, one NEVER knows. Usually the problems aren't now. The problems creep up later down the line generally after a fill. The band needs to get scar tissue formed around it to hold it in place on the back of the stomach (it's stitched on the front) ans it also gets itself "seated" into a groove it makes in the fat pad on your stomach's surface. If it either doesn't get to make that little groove in the right spot, or it if gets shifted around a lot while the stomach is churning trying to process the more solid food you've eaten (before you were supposed to), then the groove won't form right and down the road you may have a slip. I emphasize MAY, not WILL.

Think about it people, did you get fat in six weeks? NO! So why can't you stick to a freaking plan for four or six or eight tiny weeks out of our whole miserable lives in an attempt to make our lives better? Really! I know, the cop out response is "Well, if I could follow a diet I wouldn't be fat." Gimme a break. It's not a diet in the post-op phase, it's an eating plan to give you the best possible chance you can get with the tool you have just either sold your soul to the insurance company for, or that you have just paid for with blood, sweat and tears (or taken a loan on your home, any number of ways). And remember this is not MAGIC, it is a tool, and that tool needs to be taken care of like any other tool. you wouldn't leave an $8500 saw out in the rain, would you? You'd protect it. So protect your investment in your weight loss tool. It's not magical, it does require work on our part to make choices in what to eat and what not to eat.

I also urge you to call your surgeon before you start testing your band.

Is it possible to start my second week diet a bit early. I can't drink anymore I am starving. What will happen if I eat a couple of teaspoons of cottage cheese, or yogurt? I had my surgery on Sept 6th.:help:

Hi,

Eating before you are supposed to is NOT a good idea.

I have answered this one quite a few times, and I have the following saved as a word document on my computer:

"How Important Is The Post-Op Diet?"

It is critical. Most doctors prescribe a post-op diet of weeks of clear fluids, followed by weeks of full fluids followed by weeks of mushy food. My doctor said 2 weeks clear Fluid, 2 weeks full fluids and 2 weeks of mushy food. The time following the operation is for your stomach to heal. The Lap-Band needs to form a groove on your stomach. That groove makes the Lap-Band resistant to slipping.

Eating food during the post-op period before you are supposed to be eating food could cause the Lap-Band to slip, or increase the risk of a future slippage.

Food causes the stomach muscle to "Work" to digest the food. The "Work" could cause the band to not seat properly on the stomach. Weight loss is NOT to be expected during the recovery time after the operation. If you lose weight, wonderful, but don't expect it. The time between the operation and getting an EFFECTIVE fill that causes restriction is called "Bandster Hell" for a good reason. Without an EFFECTIVE fill, our hunger is just as strong, but the band does not work to help us. Getting an EFFECTIVE fill sometimes takes multiple fills, it is not unusual for it to take 3-5 or even MORE fills to obtain restriction. Because the band has to seat into the groove to hold its position, and every time the band is filled the fill adds extra pressure on the band, most doctors choose to let time pass between fills. Most doctors will not fill a band before 4 weeks after the operation, 6 weeks is common and 8-12 weeks of healing time is not unheard of.

My surgeon said I could eat anything that fit through a straw. That being said, I enjoyed creamy Soups a lot. They really helped my hunger pains. Yogurt should be okay as well, especially the liquid yogurt drinks. Make sure you just double check with your surgeon.

I was banded on the 7th and am just starting to get hungry and not repulsed by food! Tonight I bought a can of progresso low sodium chicklen noodle Soup, added a little Water and nuked it till it boiled. I poured the broth through the strainer and spooned it over about a 30min period. I should have measured how much I ate. I think it was about a half a cup. TOO MUCH! But it was sooo good. I actually felt really full after. I probably ate too much, but it was a lifesaver. I'm going to sleep so much better. I haven't had something warm and filling in forever. Try it. And good luck! Day 5 and im starting to feel good again.

hi there

not sure i was also banded on the 6th sept adn have been hungry and had some cheese adn crackers adn some tuna feeling very guilty but nothinghas happened i am back on track though now and will not do it again until i can start the mushie stage

My surgery was also on Sept. 6, and I, too, am struggling with lack of food. However, I know I just have 6 days left before I can eat Mushies...and when that day comes, I'll start a count down to "soft foods".

It's one day at a time around here. And often...one HOUR at a time.

Hang in there. You don't want to be banished from your surgeon for being non-compliant and from what I understand, some surgeon's will do that.