Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to change before surgery. Help

I'm trying to start changing how I eat before surgery, my first consult is approaching. I just turned all my new patient information and I feel defeated already! I feel like I'm never going to change how I'm eating, please help me. How did some of you all make changes and fight the temptation?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I just had surgery on Halloween and I honestly don't know how people cheat. Just getting in my Protein Shakes and Water every day is a struggle. I don't feel hungry at all. I have no cravings. And the fear of getting a leak or rupturing something keeps me from trying anything not approved. Don't get my wrong, I know eventually I will heal up and be able to eat more variety and volume, I will just do my best to never add back the bad stuff. Right now I am determined to be successful. I don't want to have had major surgery for nothing.

Don't make anything cauliflower. I tried to make cauliflower pizza and OMG!!! It's horrible. I can't get the smell out of my nose or the house. I'm terrified I can't change. They said get Baritastic Surgery for dummies.

It can be pretty overwhelming...what type of diet does your patient information suggest? Are you encouraged to eat high Protein, low carb, low fat? All of those?

I didn't have an official pre-op diet that I had to follow, but I cleaned up my eating in the month or two before surgery. I cut out Desserts entirely and eliminated the few sodas I drank. I stopped eating any chips, pretzels, crackers, etc. I stopped eating Bagels, muffins and most bread. I tried to focus on Protein, whole grain carbs and fresh vegetables and fruits. I ate dairy, but quit buying low/no fat versions at the suggestion of one of my dietitians.

It wasn't as hard as I expected and it made the transition to post-op life much easier.

I decided when I began my six-month, insurance-required diet program that I was going to work to lose as much weight as possible before the surgery. I followed a low-carb/high protein/high healthy fat diet (less than 20 grams of carbs per day -- most days less than 15 grams), starting at 2000 calories per day and whittling down to 1800, 1500, and settling at 1200 calories per day for the last 3 months of the 6.

I weighed 397 pounds (at 6'0") on March 21, and I lost 99 pounds by the day of surgery on September 28, weighing 298 when they wheeled me back to the OR. But even better than the weight loss itself, I re-established my relationship with food and got myself in the mindset to be successful post-op.

It is the very best thing I ever did for myself, and I am convinced that it was partially responsible for my almost seamless recovery and my continued weight loss post-op. (I've stayed low carb throughout my food stages post-op, and I've lost 34 pounds since the surgery for a 133 pound loss total.)

Take advantage of this time and get started now. You will not regret it!!

Good luck!

@@ShelterDog64 I love Mountain Dew. That's my biggest problem. I have only 2 cans a day. One in the morning and one at night. I was looking for a councilor for eating disorders. I've died 3 times and I've had 38 surgeries so far. While I was in the nursing home for a year they wouldn't feed me for 6 months and I starved. I panic when I get hungry. I'm learning to calm down.

Where do you live? I'm in Arizona. I know a girl that lost 250 pounds and she eats junk just in smaller portions.

I just hate seeing that there are people who manage to lose weight eating junk. One thing you really have to learn when you have WLS is how to fuel and nourish your body. We can't rely on the volume of food to make up for dietary problems any longer, because our volume is so low.

You have to learn where you can get the most bang for your buck protein-wise, and your focus has to be on that for the first few months at least. You have to avoid simple carbs, like sugar, flour, etc. I eat carbs every day but I get them from vegetables, fruits or rice/grains like brown rice, farro and quinoa. No white rice, mashed potatoes, bread...you can't spare the space for such nutrient-poor food. It's not second nature right away, but after a few months, I don't have to think as hard when I look at a restaurant menu or when I'm shopping for food.

Did you change anything before the surgery?

Not really. I had an easy 3 day pre-op diet. I had a headache from no caffeine for one day but it passed. I am now allowed one cup of coffee with caffeine per day but haven't added it back. Your taste buds change. Every taste and smell is amplified. I can't stand sweet (used to love it) so finding Protein shakes I can handle has been hard.

@@ShelterDog64 I love Mountain Dew. That's my biggest problem. I have only 2 cans a day. One in the morning and one at night. I was looking for a councilor for eating disorders. I've died 3 times and I've had 38 surgeries so far. While I was in the nursing home for a year they wouldn't feed me for 6 months and I starved. I panic when I get hungry. I'm learning to calm down.

It's not the easiest thing I've ever done, but it's not the hardest either. It sure sounds like you could use a therapist to help with the trauma from the nursing home...I can't imagine what that must have been like. Good luck to you :)