Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Trying to change before surgery. Help

I'm trying to start changing how I eat before surgery, my first consult is approaching. I just turned all my new patient information and I feel defeated already! I feel like I'm never going to change how I'm eating, please help me. How did some of you all make changes and fight the temptation?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

The sleeve forces a LOT of this. Don't stress about it, just make one small change a week and commit to sticking with it. Then add to that.

What *I* did was I started ramping down my eating as soon as I booked my surgery. I started cutting out flour, sugar, wheat, starch. I cut my portions and stopped eating just because the food was there. I stopped eating around 8PM each night. I increased my Water intake. I dedicated one day a week to liquids, just to get a feel for it. Then I upped it to two days a week, then three.

You can list out the habits you have that you want to change and then list how you'll actively change them. The mind game is the hardest part of weight loss surgery. As much as you KNOW you should not and cannot eat something, that doesn't stop your brain from wanting it. Practice avoiding things you know you're not going to be able to eat post op.

This might be controversial but I don't believe in will power. Will Power is some kinda magical skill that people think comes automatically installed with the sleeve. THERE IS NO MAGIC. It's all YOU. And for me, deciding to say no is like working a muscle. That NO muscle gets stronger every time you use it.

But again... post op, the sleeve does a lot of this for you. You will not have capacity to eat much of anything, let alone anything junky. Anything sweet you might ingest will probably make you sick. Just hang in there until your surgery date and then........ everything changes.

The only thing I changed before surgery was i quit caffine about 3 weeks before. I kinda just winged everything else. I followed my two week pre op diet and that was hell. Post op was so much easier when you don't feel hunger. then the only thing you have to worry about is mental cravings and habits. But within the first few weeks you sort of get used to not eating and small meals.

Today is my surgery and I've done nothing to really prepare! I got my surgery date in the midst of my separation from my husband of 12 years and I've lost 12lbs just from stress. I'm scared because i haven't done my 7 day liquid diet like I should have and yesterday I ate bites of food here and there. I'm freaking out! I know it's my fault, I'm an adult and this was my choice but now I'm just scared something bad is going to happen to me while in surgery! Should Have i rescheduled?

Today is my surgery and I've done nothing to really prepare! I got my surgery date in the midst of my separation from my husband of 12 years and I've lost 12lbs just from stress. I'm scared because i haven't done my 7 day liquid diet like I should have and yesterday I ate bites of food here and there. I'm freaking out! I know it's my fault, I'm an adult and this was my choice but now I'm just scared something bad is going to happen to me while in surgery! Should Have i rescheduled?

I would definitely tell the surgeon. They typically have you not only do just liquids, but Clear Liquids the day before the procedure. He needs to know what is going on.

That's what I'm going to do. It wasn't much but it was substance. I did do the milk of magnesia and been cleaning out my system since, just scared. I have 3 babies to be here for after all of this. I didn't think going into it I'd be going through all of this and not having my husband here to support. Although my family has been great, I'm usually not one to ask for help.

That's what I'm going to do. It wasn't much but it was substance. I did do the milk of magnesia and been cleaning out my system since, just scared. I have 3 babies to be here for after all of this. I didn't think going into it I'd be going through all of this and not having my husband here to support. Although my family has been great, I'm usually not one to ask for help.

The surgery is stressful enough, let alone adding in all of these other things you are going through. Hang in there. I wish the best.

I decided to try to focus on the post-op requirements during the pre-op diet period. I tried (only succeeded some of the time) to eat only three meals a day and to attempt to get at least 20g of healthy Protein in with each meal because I knew these would be things I would need to focus on the most in the post-op long term.

Did anyone have inflammation in the stomach before surgery

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App