Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I doing this right?!

I'm 3 weeks post-op Sleeve & I feel like I'm failing at this... I miss food and have been introducing new foods into my meal plans that I probably/most likely should NOT be having this early on.

Yesterday I went to a party and had 6 Tostitos chips...

I don't seem to have any issues drinking Water and no issues consuming large quantities and I feel like I can still eat a lot (2eggs, spinach, cheese for Breakfast or how I'm able to drink a homemade 20oz smoothie in 30mins, when I heard the some sleevers^ take up two hrs for 8-16oz).

What if I make the hunger hormone come back? Or the chips make the cravings come back? Why can I drink regularly? Why can't I seem to listen to my pouch and stop over eating?

Sorry for the rant... I've been feeling this for the past 4 days.

Have a good day all.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

You need to be more worried about chips perforating your staples that run a line through your remaining stomach, causing a leak of bodily fluids and bile into your body cavity then bloodstream and causing sepsis and potential death.

But that's none of my business.

Wow, my surgeon has me on liquids and soft foods for the first 5 weeks. I am almost 2 weeks post-op and the idea of eating chips makes me want to barf. In fact, I have been told it is dangerous. The stapled line in your stomach is not even healed yet.

When I add more foods back it will be very slowly, like one new soft easy to digest thing at a time. I look forward to trying ONE egg.

Right now if I have a day when I can get my Water and a couple of Protein shakes in I am doing good. For the rest of our lives we will have to do Water and Protein first. At each meal we will eat protein and then, IF we have enough room, we can have a little bit of veggies. After that, IF we have room we can add fruit or a healthy whole grain.

I honestly plan to never tempt fate. I will not even try sweets, bread, Cookies, crackers, chips, candy, etc again EVER if I can help it. I plan to make healthy choices.

I guess you could say I am tired of being morbidly obese?

Do you track everything you eat? I plan to when I actually start eating. Many people use the My Fitness Pal app on their phone. If you had to enter in there that you ate chips how would that make you feel?

Not fussing at you but my surgeon is very strict and I plan to follow his advice. I am a rule follower. I don't want to go back in there, not have lost anything, and tell him I am eating junk. I respect him (and myself) too much for that.

I think long term. What size will I be at Christmas? Spring Break? Next summer? Wouldn't it be great to buy a smaller, cuter swimsuit next summer??

BUT, I really can't understand how you can get that much in. I feel hungry but a teeny amount fills me up. I get a 10 oz shake out of the fridge and turn on a movie because I know I will be working on it for a while!

Edited by laceemouse

Wow, my surgeon has me on liquids and soft foods for the first 5 weeks. I am almost 2 weeks post-op and the idea of eating chips makes me want to barf. In fact, I have been told it is dangerous. The stapled line in your stomach is not even healed yet.

When I add more foods back it will be very slowly, like one new soft easy to digest thing at a time. I look forward to trying ONE egg.

Right now if I have a day when I can get my Water and a couple of Protein shakes in I am doing good. For the rest of our lives we will have to do Water and Protein first. At each meal we will eat protein and then, IF we have enough room, we can have a little bit of veggies. After that, IF we have room we can add fruit or a healthy whole grain.

I honestly plan to never tempt fate. I will not even try sweets, bread, Cookies, crackers, chips, candy, etc again EVER of I can help it. I plan to make healthy choices.

I guess you could say I am tired of being morbidly obese?

Do you track everything you eat? I plan to when I actually start eating. Many people use the My Fitness Pal app on their phone. If you had to enter in there that you ate chips how would that make you feel?

Not fussing at you but my surgeon is very strict and I plan to follow his advice. I am a rule follower. I don't want to go back in there, not have lost anything, and tell him I am eating junk. I respect him (and myself) too much for that.

I think long term. What size will I be at Christmas? Spring Break? Next summer? Wouldn't it be great to buy a smaller, cuter swimsuit next summer??

BUT, I really can't understand how you can get that much in. I feel hungry but a teeny amount fills me up. I get a 10 oz shake out of the fridge and turn on a movie because I know I will be working on it for a while!

Sounds like u have greater will power than me. My program is strict and I guess old habits die hard, but I will continue to keep trying to do better because that's why I made this whole decision, to improve my life and do better.

Right now it's not about 'will power', like I explained above. Right now you are PERSCRIBED a diet of lots of fluids and liquid or soft food because you just had major surgery on your stomach. Yes, it's hard. Yes, we've all been through it. But believe me, once you get through this phase and can start eating more 'real' food, you will feel more restriction and less hunger. Right now it's just your head messing with you, like it did all of us. This is the HARDEST phase to get through. But get though it safe without landing yourself back in the hospital by following surgeons orders, and it will be smooth sailing from there.

I'm on my second week and am allowed full liquids including creamy Soups. I try to drink Protein shakes but I'm so burned out from my preop diet. I've been eating cream of potato Soup made with high Protein milk, but I feel guilty that I'm not just drinking a Protein shake since I'm only getting in about 40 or less of protein a day. Anyone have this problem?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by krissyleigh

Mushy, chewed up corn chips won't rip out titanium staples, so stop telling people that alarmist crap. The people that might pop a staple are few and far between. We're not sewn up with bubble gum and fishing twine. I really hate to see people trying to scare new patients into compliance. It simply does not work this way.

SEcond of all, OP, you know EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING WRONG. You know what you're eating that is off plan and you know your thinking is off. If you want people to say it's okay, this is definitely not the place for it... Bariatric Pal is known for being... aggressively real.

I"m sure your doc gave you a meal plan. Pull it out, stick it on the fridge. Plan ahead and follow it. Because right now, any weight loss you're experiencing is purely due to Portion Control. In a not very long amount of time, weight loss is more about how YOU help your sleeve and less about the sleeve doing it for you. This is your golden ticket. Don't waste it, because in three months you'll be gaining weight and not sure how to take it off.

The pre op diet and every post here, all the links, all the youtube videos are set up to give you the education you need, but it's worthless if you don't plan to actually make changes. THE SLEEVE IS NOT MAGIC. It doesn't work no matter what you eat.

I'm on my second week and am allowed full liquids including creamy Soups. I try to drink Protein shakes but I'm so burned out from my preop diet. I've been eating cream of potato Soup made with high Protein milk, but I feel guilty that I'm not just drinking a protein shake since I'm only getting in about 40 or less of protein a day. Anyone have this problem?

You need to be getting g more protein. You need it to heal from surgery.

I'm not a fan of sweet shakes so I add a scoop of unflavored Protein powder to 8 oz of 1% milk it's 29grams of protein in a small amount. And the powder doesn't change the taste of the milk at all.

I'm 3 weeks post-op Sleeve & I feel like I'm failing at this... I miss food and have been introducing new foods into my meal plans that I probably/most likely should NOT be having this early on.

Yesterday I went to a party and had 6 Tostitos chips...

I don't seem to have any issues drinking Water and no issues consuming large quantities and I feel like I can still eat a lot (2eggs, spinach, cheese for Breakfast or how I'm able to drink a homemade 20oz smoothie in 30mins, when I heard the some sleevers^ take up two hrs for 8-16oz).

What if I make the hunger hormone come back? Or the chips make the cravings come back? Why can I drink regularly? Why can't I seem to listen to my pouch and stop over eating?

Sorry for the rant... I've been feeling this for the past 4 days.

Have a good day all.

If it's not on your surgeons list of 3 week post approved foods then you are right that you "probably/most likely" should NOT be eating them. You choose to have most of your stomach removed, an extreme measure you loose weight. If you want to succeed you need to stay on your program.

How much pre op counseling did you have? Did you see a psychologist or a nutritionist?

I'm on my second week and am allowed full liquids including creamy Soups. I try to drink Protein shakes but I'm so burned out from my preop diet. I've been eating cream of potato Soup made with high Protein milk, but I feel guilty that I'm not just drinking a Protein shake since I'm only getting in about 40 or less of protein a day. Anyone have this problem?

I'm not a fan of sweet shakes so I add a scoop of unflavored Protein powder to 8 oz of 1% milk it's 29grams of protein in a small amount. And the powder doesn't change the taste of the milk at all.

How much daily protein did your surgeon recommend for you?

@@girl10029 I'm wondering if you're getting enough Protein? Are you feeling hunger or just eating out of habit? I was on a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) for the first 6 weeks and keeping my stomach acid way down really helped me not have any feelings of hunger from my stomach. The head hunger is a WHOLE 'nother thing and you can only manage it with sheer willpower. About not feeling full, you won't feel as much restriction until you're on more dense Proteins like meat.

You need to weigh and measure all your food, record what you're eating and drinking and get yourself on track. The first 6 months or so are the time you'll lose weight the fastest, don't screw up and waste that time by eating corn chips :) You were strong enough and determined enough to have the surgery, don't fail yourself now, right?? Good luck, and no more corn chips!

@@TheCurvyJones **Mushy, chewed up corn chips won't rip out titanium staples, so stop telling people that alarmist crap. The people that might pop a staple are few and far between. We're not sewn up with bubble gum and fishing twine. I really hate to see people trying to scare new patients into compliance. It simply does not work this way. **

It's hardly a scare tactic to remind people that you absolutely can cause damage with ANY food that you eat too soon. It doesn't matter what the stomach is closed with if you put too much strain on a fresh suture line too soon.

@@girl10029 The biggest concern about your staple line isn't as much from sharp-edged foods, it's from the action that your stomach has to take to digest ANY solid foods. The stomach squeezes and churns solids in order to mechanically prepare them for enzymatic breakdown...and 3 weeks after the surgery we've had, we're short on enzymes so our stomachs have to do even MORE mechanical work. The squeezing and churning moves in waves through your stomach's muscles and that's where the potential for damage comes. Those muscles, as they contract, pull against the staple line. Most of the time, nothing serious will happen a few weeks out, but if you had a weakness along that line, or if there was a section where the staple line wasn't PERFECTLY aligned, you could have a problem. The biggest concern is very early, like people you see who eat meat or other hard to digest foods in the first week.

Babbs is just concerned about you and your health...everyone here wants to see you succeed. Good luck!

How much daily protein did your surgeon recommend for you?

90 grams. It'based on my pre op weight. The amount of protein needed will go down as I lose weight.

What did your surgeon or NUT advise?