Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm thinking about a revision...

I had a vsg in June of 2013. Prior to surgery, I lost just over 40 pounds (over about a 6-7 month period) and lost about 40 pounds within the 4 months post-op. At that point, I had my gallbladder removed and then it took about a year to lose another 10 pounds or so. My lowest was about 50-55 pounds from surgery weight and around 90 from my highest. Over the past year-year 1/2, I have gained back about 40 of the 50-55 lost since surgery. (But I am 2 sizes smaller than I was at this same weight before, I'm guessing from the muscle mass change) Looking back, I think it's odd (and a bit unsettling) that my surgeon talked to me about revisions the day I had my initial consultation for the sleeve (it was also pushed VERY hard for me to go with a lap band).I find this so unsettling because I realize now that he knew at the time my insurance will pay for revisions. I knew nothing about them then, and still know very little. I never ever not even once have got sick after eating. I also have always found this odd, because I don't really know of other people who never experienced that- not even one time. I followed the food "rules" fairly strict for about a year- year 1/2 post op, but admittedly have slid off of that wagon over time. I started doing half marathons (I am a mostly walker, but some walk running usually for the second half of those) last year and have done 6 of them this year along with the prep for that and various other exercise. Anyway, I have been thinking about this for quite a while and finally decided to try to see another doctor because I really have not so great vibes from my original surgeon. I am seriously considering a revision, but it has been hard to come to this place mentally where I have accepted that it just didn't work out for me like I thought it would. I don't regret it at all, and have made some serious life changes that have stuck all this time. I'm looking to see if there are others in this group who have been where I am right now for support and possibly advice.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Unfortunately you have to follow the food "rules" forever, not just the first 1 - 1 1/2 years....even with a revision. Have you tried going back to basics? How much Protein, carbs, calories and fluids are you getting? How are these numbers different than when you were losing? You sound pretty active and that can only help.

If you feel you were not losing weight, despite eating high protein/low carb and getting 100+ ounces of Water and taking all your supplements, have you been checked for metabolic or hormone related illnesses?

@@sheetmetalgirl, I agree with @@Dairymary, maybe go back to the basics first and check to see if you have PCOS or insulin resistance. Also, check your insurance company to see if you ate a candidate for a revision. I don't know much about revisions...

I get that the food rules are forever, but I didn't sign up for a surgery to only lose what I lost. 20lbs of the 40lbs I've gained was gained in one week after being put on a new medication for low blood pressure. I think I have a low thyroid, but my primary dr doesn't agree.

I wore a cgm earlier this year for a week, and never had a high blood sugar. I even ate a high carb dinner with dessert afterward on purpose to see what it would show. I also had a new sleep study done a few months ago, and they said I do not have sleep apnea any more. Those tests were done because I feel exhausted a majority of the time. I also work full time, I'm a union steward which takes up personal time constantly, and I am taking 6- 9 credit hours in college each semester. That could have something to do with that too, but since I've had the low blood pressure, I'm tired a lot.

According to my insurance, I'm a candidate... I would just go through the same process as before basically. If you originally lost less than half of the excess weight after the 1st surgery and it's been over two years, the rest of it is the same as getting approved for the first surgery. I've done the reset diets, but doing like each phase for a week instead of just a day or two. No success with that either. And I don't have PCOS

Try going a month or so with high Protein, low carb and low sweets and no bread. Sugar should be no more than 8g. It'll be hard, but you will definitely lose weight.

Have you had a pouch test to see if everything is in tact?

Also, good to have a good physical as there are many things that can cause tiredness and weight imbalance... low vit D, thyroid as you said and done drs dobt follow the updated values on what is considered hypothyroidism, anemia, autoimmune diseases, Cushing's syndrome, pcos, and more

I do think going back to the basics for more then a week might be. Good idea especially if you do have anoyhet unknown issue in the way. You can document everything so you have evidence to show the insurance and new doctor that you tried everything and here are the results

Maybe you do need a revision but if you have a primary thyroid condition, a revision is not likely to fix it help much...your body needs repair first with meds, than WLS can be considered.

I have bipolar, and lithium has given me hypothyroidism but after a couple years on thyroid meds, it's better. I was just sleeved and I have pcos too and I notice my weight is slow to move off despite following the rules. Still tweaking things though...

I have to get steroids from time to time and that makes me voraciously hungry, pack on lbs and store fat for the winter lol but I'm still loosing with the surgery just not as fast as my counterparts it seems....

So, having thyroid issues should not make you gain huge amounts and loose nothing with the sleeve in place unless something is wrong with the sleeve and it happens even though not often

I have to be very strict about my meals bc I dobt lose as fast so maybe you need a diet reset for longer, document every crumb for yourself, the NUt, surgeon old or new and insurance.

Also suggest getting a good exam..maybe you need a new gp!!

Good fortune

When I've done the diet resets I do like one week liquid diet, one week puréed, one week soft... etc. so it's not just for one week, it's like two months, and I might drop a pound or two, but my weight fluctuates so much it's hard to know what's a real loss and what isn't. The blood pressure med is basically makes me put on a lot of Water weight..... I am interested to find out what an endo says, but I'm waiting for the 1st of the year to go once my flex account has money in it again before I subject myself to a bunch of testing again.

When I've done the diet resets I do like one week liquid diet, one week puréed, one week soft... etc. so it's not just for one week, it's like two months, and I might drop a pound or two, but my weight fluctuates so much it's hard to know what's a real loss and what isn't. The blood pressure med is basically makes me put on a lot of Water weight..... I am interested to find out what an endo says, but I'm waiting for the 1st of the year to go once my flex account has money in it again before I subject myself to a bunch of testing again.

I knew you meant one week per stage. U might need longer...

They took me off the combination blood pressure pill so I no longer have the diuretic aspect... just in a regular bp pill that doesn't cause weight gain..first change my gp made

Seeing endocrinologist is a great idea to rule out medical problems. I keep thinking there is a test that can show if your sleeve is still correctly done....??

I hope you keep or kept logs if your diet reset and weight numbers to show the Dr. They love stuff like that pkus when we're re fat, ppl don't likely give us the benefit of a doubt when we say, the diet isn't working or related!!

We're you on meds for high or low blood pressure?... I used to be on a diuretic for no reason other than I retain fluid... no high blood pressure just Fluid retention, but that landed me in the hospital because it lowered my already low blood pressure. Now I'm on a med to up my blood pressure and just have to deal with any swelling. No more diuretics for me for sure. It seems most people who have no issues are on meds for high blood pressure, which is a whole different ball game, that's why I ask

Edited by sheetmetalgirl

I personally have been through almost exactly what you're going through. Sleeved 10/2013...lost 90 lbs the first 7 months, then hit a wall. Stuck to diet & exercise...nothing! My body put back on 15 pounds even though I still stuck to strict eating! I went back to my surgeon in May 2016. We tried even stricter diet...stayed the same. I took phentermine for 3 months and only lost 3 lbs!! (Most people will lose at least 20+ in that med). So, it was inevitable....I opted revision. I had my surgery 11/9...had a bleeding complication the next day and ended up in the hospital a week and had 4 blood transfusions. Healing now &. on track. Lost 19 lbs, but have been stalled for 6 days!!! Frustrating. I never stalled with my sleeve. I guess I'd suggest trying what I did with your doctor and seeing if anything else can help you while making the decision to revise. Everyone will tell you eat better, exercise more, do a pouch test, do back to basics, etc...all good intentions but not the answer when you know what you've tried. Good luck to you!!!

Thank you... I definitely plan on seeing an endocrinologist to rule out some other issues, and I am planning on seeing a different bariatric Dr. to get another opinion. My dr rarely has time to meet with patients unless it's the consult visit and I really dislike his PA, so I'm hoping to have some productive discussion about my options

@@sheetmetalgirl, glad your going to a different doctor. ;)

I had a I had a Lap band removal and vsg conversion in June 2014. I started at 252 as my highest weight and 237 as my surgery weighty. My lowest weight was 201. I followed the diet faithfully for almost 2 years and kept the weight off give or take a couple of pounds.. I found that's spinning was my favorite exercise and still is. I was active on and off the 4 years because of complication so with my knee and then plantar fascititis. The last year has been hard cause I my plantar fasciitis and lower back pain. ( which restarted since I've put on weight again) has been really bothering me... so new activities that I love like 5k and 8k runs... well their increasingly difficult to complete.

I now weigh 248. Which is above my surgery weight. My GERD isa real problem... I still drink my Proteins shakes... take my vitamins.. I eat most things but not in excess because of my sleeve...my weight gain has been a plateau for about for almost 2 years now.. I have not gained and only loose 5lbs here Andy there's and regain it back.

I guess give the fact that I really didn't lose as much weight as I expected to with the vsg and gaining all that weight back, has me thinking that the malabsorption piece of weight loss surgery is the tool that would help me final loose weight and be healthier.

This extra weight gain is causing me physical pain now and I wann do something about it.