Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

@@RJrocks Are you asking if drinking alcohol is ok to do? Well it depends on the person doing the drinking. I, myself enjoy a couple glasses of wine before dinner. Or a good margarita on the rocks... I don't drink Beer only because i never have.. Hate the taste.

My suggestion to you is, if you want to have a night out and have a cocktail.... do so, but be mindful that one will probabley do you in..... i use to drink a few and just start a buzzz..... now one good one and im buzzing.... Make sure if you drink you have a DD. Try to stay away from stuff like ??? and coke or ??? with sprite as the combination may get to you.

chris

I come from a family with major addiction issues (both sides going back multiple generations). Because of this I have always been careful about alcohol consumption. Hell, I get worried about taking prescription pain meds for the same reason. Before my surgery, I would have a cocktail maybe 5-6 times a year when dining out. I never drank at home and would have a few drinks at my favorite yearly gaming convention.

Now that I have the surgery I will probably never touch the stuff again. Maybe a few years out I can have the occasional (yearly) cocktail if it can be made in a way that it is no longer a sugar bomb - no sugary juices or sodas. And that is if my doctor approves it, which I am highly doubtful of considering he told me it would be years before we could even discuss adding coffee back. (This has been the biggest struggle for me - I am a student - I NEED my morning coffee.) I never liked wine (well at least when it isn't in sangria) or beer. Honestly I won't miss it, though I may miss the occasional sangria.

Nerdy question here...

Can someone explain why there's a change in alcohol's effect? Your liver is the same or even healthier, so it shouldn't take longer to metabolize. Alcohol's mostly absorbed in the small intestine. A smaller stomach may mean less is absorbed there and so more is absorbed in the small intestine, but again it's your liver that breaks it down. Based on the stories of how much more sensitive people become it's almost like the stomach becomes a lot more efficient at absorbing alcohol, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Nerdy question here...

Can someone explain why there's a change in alcohol's effect? Your liver is the same or even healthier, so it shouldn't take longer to metabolize. Alcohol's mostly absorbed in the small intestine. A smaller stomach may mean less is absorbed there and so more is absorbed in the small intestine, but again it's your liver that breaks it down. Based on the stories of how much more sensitive people become it's almost like the stomach becomes a lot more efficient at absorbing alcohol, but that doesn't make sense to me.

Less body mass

sent from mobile device

Nerdy question here...

Can someone explain why there's a change in alcohol's effect? [...]

Less body mass

Ah, of course. How could I forget, it's the whole point of WLS. :rolleyes:

So if you loose 30% then you get drunk 30% faster or with a 30% smaller drink.

I've been thinking, and I suspect the stomach acts as a "holding tank", releasing its contents (alcohol) slowly over time, and that with a smaller stomach the alcohol now hits the small intestine faster at a higher concentration. So the liver hits its max faster and the brain gets hit with the difference.

Thanks for indulging a nerd. ;)

I was a cheap date (half a cocktail could get me buzzed) prior to surgery, so I am choosing to abstain. I dont want to have a couple of sips and start stripping. Lol

HW 385 SW 359 CW 340 Sleeved 10/5/16

That's me I'm a cheap date now so I know after surgery it will be worse. I don't drink now so not an issue for post op, now to get my date!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Nerdy question here...

Can someone explain why there's a change in alcohol's effect? [...]

Less body mass

Ah, of course. How could I forget, it's the whole point of WLS. :rolleyes:

So if you loose 30% then you get drunk 30% faster or with a 30% smaller drink.

I've been thinking, and I suspect the stomach acts as a "holding tank", releasing its contents (alcohol) slowly over time, and that with a smaller stomach the alcohol now hits the small intestine faster at a higher concentration. So the liver hits its max faster and the brain gets hit with the difference.

Thanks for indulging a nerd. ;)

I think it's possible the shorter route through the stomach is also a factor. But body mass has a lot to do with alcohol processing.

@@RJrocks,

Replacement addictions are definitely a concern after weight loss surgery. The explanation is that if you are addicted to food and you use bariatric surgery to take food away, you become addicted to something else: whether negative such as alcohol, or positive such as exercise.

When you said your surgeon said 1 in 10 patients becomes an alcoholic post-op, I thought that was crazy high! But then I found this: it may be the study he was referring to about alcohol use disorders (AUD). It says, “10.7 percent of patients reported symptoms of AUD” by 2 years post-op, and 1 in 8 had at least 3 drinks per day on a typical drinking day. The information is from the national Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) study.

Wow. I had known that alcohol abuse could become a problem, but not that it was so common! If I were you, I would ask the surgeon which patients are more likely to develop alcohol abuse, and whether you have those characteristics. I am guessing that the patients who develop alcoholism after WLS are the ones who are addicted to food rather than just have poor eating habits, or who use food as an emotional crutch. If you use food for comfort or to hide your feelings, you might want to think hard about what you can use instead post-op (besides alcohol), and how you can address your feelings in healthier ways.

Good luck!

A lot of it has to do with what your programs really prepare you for, I feel. I went through a very comprehensive program at mayo Clinic, and a friend went through a very short program at a weight loss institution here in Phoenix and was under the knife in less than 2 months from his first visit. My process was a good deal longer and required four visits with a psychologist before they would clear you. Alcohol dependence was a big part of the discussions. The suggestion from the surgeon was at least a year, but the team basically said that it was all about balance. One every once in awhile was not going to harm you, as long as you are mindful about the rest of the things that go into your body (and NEVER drive after even one drink. Things hit us a lot faster and a lot more strongly after surgery).

Living in NYC, I would drink often socially, but not to excess. Moving out to the desert, I went out maybe once or twice a month. I've had the occasional drink since surgery, but I'm mindful of how much and what I drink (a vodka and diet cran, normally) and I never feel the need to drink more, or more often.

However, I know if I feel like I had the inclination to drink more or more often, I'd have to stop myself and make an appointment with the bariatric group, as I know this is a real concern among weight loss patients. So much of our successes (or failures) are due to not being mindful of the choices we make.

The good thing is - the roadblocks that stand in our way ALWAYS have a Detour.

Alcohol affects me exactly the same way that it did before the surgery. I still cannot get tipsy no matter how much I drink. I was told that getting tipsy would be quicker since our stomachs are smaller. For me, that's not the case. I don't drink much anyway, so I don't really mind.

My advice is to stay away from anything carbonated. This will cause your stomach to expand and it will probably hurt. Limit yourself and don't drink weekly.

I didn't drink before surgery, I gave it up because of my diabetes.

I have enjoyed alcohol a few times since surgery. My tolerance is the same. I don't get tipsy any faster.

I don't really enjoy alcohol so I don't have it often.

It is a non issue for me, but I think it is worth it to be cautious about it. Especially if you miss food, are unhappy or lived a life prior to surgery where you were not very social and being social is new to you.

I partied enough in college and my 20s enough for 4 lifetimes.

My plan allows alcohol after 3 months but no beer, not even small batch craft beer.... I probably have 3-4 drinks a year but the food holidays are coming.

....I think your doctor pulled that "statistic" out of his bum.

I am actually a bit worried. I now drink every day. Not till I'm wasted, but 2-4 vodkas every day-weekends? More---and I've gained back 20 lbs. I have to quit

I defintly get high easier. Before my RNY I could drink 12 beers before I felt tipsy. I don't drink beer at all now (sad because it was my drink of choice) I have never cared for wine untl last summer we went to a family reunion (camping etc) I had 2 glasses of wine and I was above buzzed. It hit me fast and hard!! They say if you do drink make sure you are with people you trust, believe me please do. I also lost my buzz quick too. I have never been on to drink hardly at all. When we went thru my preop classes they told us to be real careful due to cross addictions. My hubby was rootin for me to get obsessive about sex!! NOPE!! He was kind of sad when I became obsessive about exercise. I have always been someone that didn't have a 1/2 way about me. I either was what I call B***s to the wall or nothing. One thing I have worked on vefry hard was to realize 1/2 way is ok. Not easy for me at all.

Don’t drink.