Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does being active get easier?

I went to the park on Saturday night, and I saw monkey bars and a rock climbing wall that I really wanted to climb. I'm 25 years old, but I couldn't help but feel my inner child want to play on the playground. The last time I was truly athletic was when I was 15. I weighed about 125 and was able to do just about anything a typical athlete could do. I climbed a big rock and felt somewhat limited because I was scared I would fall. I remember not feeling this worried about falling (I don't know if it's my balance that's off because I'm overweight or not). I also remember feeling like I could climb anything. But now, I feel like an old woman; like I'm going to lack the strength to hold myself up on monkey bars. I've already lost 45 pounds. I was able to be a bit more active than usual while at the park.

As I lose weight, will I get my active nature back? Has anyone gotten a good amount of strength back?

Kids don't care if they fall, their bones are so Nelly they bounce! That is when you know you are good..when ya hurt :)

Sent from my XT1254 using the BariatricPal App

Yes!

I'm 49, and I find myself doing the silliest things because I can now.

I found myself jumping rope at the gym the other day. I haven't jumped rope in probably 30 years. I did great! My bladder....not so much.

I hike, climb trees and rocks, run around with my dogs, ride my cool beach cruiser bike, run a couple miles, and can climb over 100 floors on the Stair Climber. Sometimes I find myself wanting to push limits physically just to see how far I can go. It's the best feeling in the world. It gives me a natural high!

Start working on muscle strength and stamina now, and by the time you've lost most of your weight, there will be no stopping you at your age! Aches and pains from being older is the only thing that can stop me now, lol.

I went to the park on Saturday night, and I saw monkey bars and a rock climbing wall that I really wanted to climb. I'm 25 years old, but I couldn't help but feel my inner child want to play on the playground. The last time I was truly athletic was when I was 15. I weighed about 125 and was able to do just about anything a typical athlete could do. I climbed a big rock and felt somewhat limited because I was scared I would fall. I remember not feeling this worried about falling (I don't know if it's my balance that's off because I'm overweight or not). I also remember feeling like I could climb anything. But now, I feel like an old woman; like I'm going to lack the strength to hold myself up on monkey bars. I've already lost 45 pounds. I was able to be a bit more active than usual while at the park.

As I lose weight, will I get my active nature back? Has anyone gotten a good amount of strength back?

Yes, it gets better and easier as you lose weight especially if you exercise and stay active.

Focus on improving your: strength, cardio/aerobic capacity, endurance, and flexibility and the sky is the limit!

Yes I think being active is easier when you have less weight to carry. I think it's important to workout 3-5 days a week and sometimes staying motivated is hard for people so change it up. Try new things. I personally workout first thing in the morning so that I can't make excuses. Just get it done. Have a plan and even put out your workout clothes.

~LA

@@Hiraeth

When the weight comes off I feel like you naturally become more active.

I do jumping jacks now just because I can and I am bored. I run when I don't have to. I don't try to bring everything in from the car in one trip, I don't care if I make more trips up and down the stairs.

The more you lose the natural it becomes.

Also being active is useful just because you center of gravity changes and you have to learn your body over again.

I'm almost 4 months out and I climbed halfway up a tree yesterday.

Never in a million years did I think I would do that!!

So yes, it gets easier.

Absolutely!!!!!!

I've run marathons and do yoga daily... and I have very few limits these days. I did a Spartan race and could do it all!

Wow! Thank you all so much for all the positive feedback! That really gives me hope. I mean, I used to be able to ride a bike with no limits. But now, I'm so scared I'll fall. I even used to skateboard and ride down hills with no fear. Now, getting on a skateboard seems so scary because I'm scared of losing my balance. I guess I do need to learn my body again.

I remember being able to run a whole mile without stopping. I've even started having dreams of being able to run for a long time. I really took a lot of things for granted when I was a teenager.

Right now, I'm walking at least 2 miles a day. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I'm doing about 150 reps of 5 pounds on each arm. I never really had huge arms even at my max weight of 255, but my gosh, I actually have wings from loose skin. I guess my arms are meant to be sticks, lol!

When I was at the park, I was able to swing my whole body over a pole (using only one arm) with ease. I couldn't believe how much easier doing that was after losing only 45 pounds!

Edited by Hiraeth

Keep dreaming of all the child/teenager activities you want to do. Use it as motivation to get out and do them. Life is short and age is only a number

It gets easier as you drop weight and gain strength. Enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G920T using the BariatricPal App

I miss climbing trees... I used to climb all the time to escape reality of family life. Then I found the computer and internet.

AND I miss playing basketball! - I can't wait to play basketball again with the ruggies :D

Edited by Raenh

I miss climbing trees... I used to climb all the time to escape reality of family life. Then I found the computer and internet.

AND I miss playing basketball! - I can't wait to play basketball again with the ruggies :D

I see you have lost almost 100 pounds. How are you feeling? :)

I miss playing softball. I played 2 summers ago and I was actually the best player because I was hitting the most and the furthest. But running the bases was very difficult and painful, lol!

I'm feeling really good about that - and I didn't think of it like that I have lost almost 100lbs since I started this journey 8 years ago... lost and gained, but even when I gained some back I didn't go back to what I was. Now I just want to continue losing with my new sleeve. I really miss playing basketball lol.

@@Hiraeth you can do anything - I have found the more the weight has dropped the more active I have been, I am doing things now I would never have dreamed of before and loving every minute. I go to anything up to 8 classes in the gym a week and try to fit in 5 resistance sessions (but don't always manage it) my strength still needs some work but it will get there it's still better than it was when I was nearly 250lbs heavier.