Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

QUESTIONS FOR CARNIE WILSON? (Prize for your question!)

Will you marry me?

Sent from me to you!

Gary, Carnie is already married and has been for a while...though I'm sure she'd appreciate the adulation. lol

Diva Taunia

Thank you for answering my ?. I was just curious about that. But...I myself would never ever have the Lap Band. My hubby had his for around 13 years and he did lose 100#'s but...he was over 500#'s. Truthfully, he could have done better because he didn't follow his guidelines. So in 2013 his band malfunctioned. He went to a BARIATRIC CENTER with the Excellence award. When they went in to do his Revision the band had eroded into his liver. There was so much scar tissue and bleeding they backed out and we were told that they would do it in 3 months after he healed. Long story short he developed abscesses and was deathly sick for 9 months and 3 months he doesn't remember. So he was on hold again. The Surgeon that tried to do the Revision refused to operate on him again. He actually called him a problem child. Off to OHSU, we went they were going to do his revision but they wanted him to lose 20#'s and get his A1C down to a 7. If his A1c was good he couldn't lose weight same way as the weight down blood sugar up!!. We finally went to Mexico in June of 2016. He ended up having the Sleeve because his whole right side was solid scar tissue. So as you see the Lap Band isn't something I would attempt. Not that I need to at this point, my RNY has helped me be successful in my weight loss. His weight loss is real slow but at least he is losing!! Sorry for the book. LOL Did Carney have good results with her BAND OVER RNY?

Diva Taunia

Thank you for answering my ?. I was just curious about that. But...I myself would never ever have the Lap Band. My hubby had his for around 13 years and he did lose 100#'s but...he was over 500#'s. Truthfully, he could have done better because he didn't follow his guidelines. So in 2013 his band malfunctioned. He went to a BARIATRIC CENTER with the Excellence award. When they went in to do his Revision the band had eroded into his liver. There was so much scar tissue and bleeding they backed out and we were told that they would do it in 3 months after he healed. Long story short he developed abscesses and was deathly sick for 9 months and 3 months he doesn't remember. So he was on hold again. The Surgeon that tried to do the Revision refused to operate on him again. He actually called him a problem child. Off to OHSU, we went they were going to do his revision but they wanted him to lose 20#'s and get his A1C down to a 7. If his A1c was good he couldn't lose weight same way as the weight down blood sugar up!!. We finally went to Mexico in June of 2016. He ended up having the Sleeve because his whole right side was solid scar tissue. So as you see the Lap Band isn't something I would attempt. Not that I need to at this point, my RNY has helped me be successful in my weight loss. His weight loss is real slow but at least he is losing!! Sorry for the book. LOL Did Carney have good results with her BAND OVER RNY?

@@shedo82773 OMG! I'm so sorry for your husband's history! I really hope he's in a better place now, and I can certainly understand why you'd be hesitant in any type of lap band surgery.

My understanding is that Carnie has done well with the BOB procedure. She and I are going to talk this week, so I'll be sure to ask her how she's been doing and report back. (I'll probably have our conversation recorded at some point as an interview, so I'll let you know when that happens.)

Despite your husband's situation, I know lots of people who have had tremendous success with the lap band. Alex, the founder of Bariatric Pal, is one of them. He'll actually be interviewing with me on Backstage Pass Radio next Friday. I'm really sorry it wasn't the best option for your husband and it didn't work out well for him. :(

Diva Taunia

It was awful for sure!! When he had his Lap Band the Dr told him he wasn't strong enough for the RNY. But at that time he was still able to work as a Truck Driver, and that is a very hard job. Which most people don't realize. Anyhow he was the first man to get the VANGUARD Band. And because his weight was over 500#'s, she just assumed that he ate all of the time!! Which for the most part was untrue. Yes, he was a big eater but we felt that his weight problem was also due to WHAT we ate!! She really did him an injustice. He could have handled the RNY easily. It sure would have helped him without everything he has gone thru now. I tried to explain to him that there are tons of People that are successful with the band, he is just not convinced. LOL After he had his Sleeve in June he isn't working his program much. I thought that it would have at least made him more aware of what and how much he is eating. Heck, I see lots of people losing large amount of weight!! He just doesn't deal well with head hunger!! I try to help him and I know he gets mad but this is a LIFE AND DEATH situation here. He has Kidney Cancer and his size prevents them from being able to do anything about it. I am so worried, they told him if he does nothing he will more than likely have 4 years with 2 being PURE HELL for him!! You would think that he would try harder. I'm sorry for the long posts. Sometimes I just don't have anyone to listen to me. He is my BEST friend and we have been married for 43 years and I just don't want to lose him and be alone! Thank's for listening.