Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is one to do???

Guest needhelp219

Guest needhelp219

This is my first time using this site and I am finding it very helpful after reading other postings. I have an appointment on Dec 23rd to discuss the lap band surgery with my Kaiser doctor. I am now 290 at 5'2" and can not take it anymore. I have tried to loose for over 10 years and have failed. I have researched a little on the lapband and gastric bypass, but the lapband seems to be the procedure with fewer complications. I think that is best since I am separated with two children. So, now that I am leaning towards the lapband, wanted to see if anyone out there can help me with the following questions...

1) I am currently with Kaiser and not sure how the appt. will go on the 23rd, but if they do cover some portions of the procedure, anyone out there had surgery with a Bay Area Kaiser and can refer a good surgeon?

2) Any referrals of any surgeon in the Bay Area incase Kaiser does not cover and I can research other doctors that take out of pocket.

3) Any advise before my first appt with a doctor, i.e. what to discuss with him and what not to say?

Thanks for your help.

I've heard Kaiser doesn't pay anything for any weight loss surgery. :D This may not be written in stone, but your starting place would be to contact them and ask.

From what I've heard, Dr. Cirangle is probably the best Dr and lowest rate in the bay area, with the best follow up. His patients gush over him all the time. Can't beat that kind of admiration.

Good luck to you!

Welcome and Good luck with your appointment. You are right about the Band being the Safest choice. I did not want to risk my life to try to save it. The band is not anything as invasive a bypass.

I am still trying to get approved for my surgery. The only thing that I can tell you from my experience is that I was denied because I do not have PROOF of a recent 12 months Medically supervised weight loss attempt and 6 months medically supervised exercise program. If I had known this summer, when I started trying to get the band, what I know now- I would have been going to my PCP and being weighed once a month and have them DOCUMENT that I was trying to lose weight. Atleast that way, I would have about 7 months documented by now. I have struggled with my weight most of my life and the doctor always weighs me, so I thought that would be good enough. But of course if you go the self pay route, as many here have, you will be able to avoid all of the headaches of insurance. Just realize that having the surgery is not the end of your expenses. There are costs for fills and such. Of course most people who have had the surgery will tell you it's well worth it if you can find a way.

You are making good choices by researching and learning everything you can.

Kasier would only approve the Bi-pass and it was a very lengthy process... Go luck!

Kaiser here in Oregon only offers the gastric bypass; they do not do the adjustable lap band at all - which is really a shame since it's so much safer and saner. I'd think the whole Kaiser system was the same, but maybe you'll find something different in the Bay Area. Because I didn't want to go through the LONG Kaiser process and I decided lap band surgery was the better choice anyway, I have chosen to have my banding in Mexico where I will self pay. I'll be banded on Jan 19 by Dr. Alberto Aceves in Mexicali. Yippee!

Jackie S

Oregon

Hi there, Dr. Cirangle in SF is about the least expensive (12K) in the Bay Area, Leatha is right. Dr. McKeen SJ does my after care, I went to Monterrey MX for my band placement, I believe McKeens total with after-care is 22K.

Good Luck! I live in Morgan Hill..PM me if you want more information???

OMG, I thought I paid a fortune out of pocket $15,750, which included a year of fills, here in Newport News, VA. I have also heard the reason ins co's are not paying is because the surgery is reversible and it's still considered in my state as experimental stage.