Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

my surgeon wants me to have the bypass instead of the lapband

I had a friend who got the bypass and she only lost about 30lbs before she started regaining. Now I have a gut feeling that she didn't and still doesn't eat right. What I am trying to say is that the bypass is NO GUARANTEE. Plus, when doing my research to decide lap-band vs. bypass, I had found that some people had gotten the lap-band after a FAILED BYPASS!!! I chose the lap-band because I am not done having children yet, plus with the lap-band my stomach and intestine are not cut and re-routed. Not to mention that with the bypass you drop weight fast and most people will tend to have to have reconstructive surgery to remove excess skin folds. I agree with everyone else, do your research, KNOW the pros and cons of both, and then make your decision. Both are a life changing event and with both you WILL have to modify your eating habits and behavior to make either successful. What turned me onto the lap-band is that it can be filled when you start gaining weight, and unfilled when you have reached and maintained your goal or when you want to get pregnant. I don't know if you are planning to have any/more children but look at Carnie Wilson, she had bypass lost all that weight and then got pregnant and is now working her but off to lose the baby weight. I say go with your instinct but do your homework. In the end if you feel bypass is for you, GO FOR IT! This step is for you and you alone, don't let a doctor (who may or maynot be persueded by $$) make the decision for you. A second opinion won't hurt.

my surgeon said that he would do the surgery but he did say alot of bad things about it. i dont know if i should just go to him because there isnt anyone else up here or if i should go somewhere else in the state. i am nervous to switch doctors because what if they are the same way? right now i can have the surgery in oct, but if i try someone else who knows when it will happen. i know that i shouldnt rush things, i have been in this program for almost a year now. the head director of the program told me that i shouldnt rely on the surgeon to get support that i need my team and her for support and that he is a good surgeon with no deaths and does a good job. my concern is that if i have the surgery with him how is he going to be towards me everytime i go in for a fill, is he going to be negative? i am so confused on what to do, i am so disappointed and to the point of not even having surgery period.

andrea

Well, Andielmt. If you want the surgery and it is comming up in Oct. I say go for it. But be sure, like with everything elso KNOW the pros and cons. I know how it is to have to sit and wait. If you are sure and know that this is what you want go for it. If you are nervous about a fill from this doctor, there are other places that do fills. I got my surgery done in Mexico because I was a self pay. I made sure that there were places locally that I could get a fill so I wouldn't have to go back to Mx. There is a place called Fill Centers USA that do the after care and fills for lap-band. Or investigate other local doctors that could do the fill and find out if they would be willing to fill your band if they didn't intall it. I am sure that they would understand if you told them that you were no longer comfortable with the surgeon who put your band in. Hope everythings works out for you. TRUST YOUR GUT, MAKE THE DECISION FOR YOU NOT YOUR DOCTOR OR ANYONE ELSE!!

i met with the surgeon today and he is all for the bypass. he said that only 1 out of 6 people succeed with the band and that i will probably only lose about 50 pounds and i need to lose 140. he said that the bypass would be better and that hes not a huge fan of the band. now what? this whole time ive been totally committed to having the band and now he is trying to convince me to do the bypass. also my bmi is 49 and he wont do the band on people who is over 50 talk about being close. i went to work today and talked to my boss who also is a doctor and she told me today that she feels that the band wont work and that the bypass is the way to go and that i am taking the shortcut by doing the band. im so confused. i feel so disappointed with my visit to the doctor today. any comments?

andrea

I'm facing the same decision. My doctor told me both would work fine for me and he'd do either. My nutritionist said you have to know yourself and your eating habits. You can lose weight with both. Both will restrict the amount you can eat, but the bypass will ensure you cannot eat certain foods, such as sugar and fat. You can continue to eat those things with the lap band, so your will power will need to be strong. Both require a forever lifestyle change or you will regain your weight. Those that had gastric bypass and regain do so because they went back to their old eating habits; they mistakenly believe they don't have to do anything once the weight comes off. Proper diet, low carbs, high Protein, and exercise are important to maintaining your weight loss... with both surgeries. I have found a lot of useful information from bypass folks at www.bariatriceating.com. Check out the sight for yourself. I think it will be helpful to go other opinions.

I would be wary of taking too much advice from someone trying to sell you something. If it helps, I had my surgery last September also wanting to drop 140 pounds (310 to 170). Since then, I have lost 80 of the 140 and am still losing.

It is true that it is not a magic bullet. If I stop exercising or ignore the feeling of fullness I will stop losing weight. If you are a binge eater like I was, however, it is a marvelous assistance in Portion Control. If, on the other hand, your problem is sweets or if yo uare not committed to an exercise plan, you may not see the same kind of success.

FOrtunately for me, My surgeons took my desires into it. And when they saw I had 3 little boys, one of which is very disabled, they told me flat out I'd ONLY be eligible for the lapband. Thank God that was what I wanted anyway.

I'd have kept looking if it meant having to have had the rny with my surgeons. They do about 50% of their surgeries with bands, the other percentage to RNY.

Teri

I'll say one more thing on the subject - either surgery is ELECTIVE - you are paying for it - if your surgeon is pushing bypass or band be weary - it's YOUR DECISION - GROW A PAIR - 'nuff said

My comment is sort of harsh:

Doctors earn more money for doing bypass operations, and that may sway their opinions.

My starting BMI was 73.2, and I am living proof that your doctor and your boss are wrong.

Wendell, you are my hero! :tongue2: Congrats on your weight loss! I too fee the lap band is a much healthier way to go than bp. :)

I'll say one more thing on the subject - either surgery is ELECTIVE - you are paying for it - if your surgeon is pushing bypass or band be weary - it's YOUR DECISION - GROW A PAIR - 'nuff said

Don't wanna start a debate... but i'm a girl :thumbup: I don't wanna grow a pair. :sneaky::thumbup:

Like everyone else, it's your choice. Please if you feel the band is healthier for you, as many of us have chosen, please tell him you only will do the band.

Good luck on your wls journey.

teri