Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! I am gaining weight

Susan---you are asking US---a bunch of unusual and wierd people to tell you if you are unusual or wierd????? Yep it's wierd!!! j/k---work it however it works for you.

Some people weigh every day saying it keeps them in check, others choose weekly weigh ins, others only know when they go to the Dr. We each approach all the aspects of this in our own way---maybe we ARE all wierd and unusual!!!!

Welcome to bandland, and welcome to LBT!!!

Kat

God I hope I dont go through this.

I'm about three weeks out and still feeling some restriction.

I dont get a fill until october the 4th.

I had surgery on the 24th of august.

I lost 21 so far.

It may be a little weird, but that's ok. This is how you feel, and if it works for you, more power to ya!! (Just a note though- research shows that those who weigh themselves daily lose more weight. They are better able to keep track of their weight, whether it be a loss or gain!)

<p>(Thanks Wendell! I agree! Your posts are always helpful!)</p> <p> </p> <p>I am almost 4 weeks post-op, too. My doctor told me that the 6 weeks after surgery were for healing, not necessarily for losing. I lost some, as I was still on a liquid diet for 2 weeks after surgery. But, when I started eating food again I plateaued. I do not eat much, plus I have been exercising quite a bit. Finally, after almost 2 weeks at the same weight, I lost 1 pound yesterday and another today. I am looking forward to my first fill on Sept. 24, but a little scared! I am terrified to get something stuck. I chew food until it's liquified, but I am still paranoid! Any words from the wise?</p>

scale weight repeatedly stalls during the weight loss process. Common reasons include the following: (A) Patient is eating more than they think they are. (:wacko: Patient is retaining Fluid for some reason, like salt intake or menstrual cycle © Patient's body is dehydrated, and is retaining Fluid for that reason (D) Patient's body weight has increased due to muscle tissue increasing due to increased exercise (E) Unknown.

The best way to not go insane about scale weight is simple: Stop weighing obsessively.

Weigh in not more than once a week, because momentary weight fluctuations of as little as 1% of your body weight will wipe out a full week's weight loss. Take measurements before being banded so that when the scale weight stops, you can re-measure to see if your body size is shrinking while the scale stalls. EXPECT the scale loss to stall once in a while, this is NORMAL.

Weight loss is a "Staircase, not a curve" that is, its stop, then drop, stop, and then drop.

hi susan,

actually i think you not wanting to know your daily weight could be helpful.

i stopped weighing myself because my moods were being dictated by what it saw. let's face it...when i am eating healthy....my body responds. i dont need a scale to tell me this.

when i weighed everyday or even several times a day...i found i cheated more....dont know why.

so about 3 months ago i stopped weighing daily and started to only once a month. i also take measurements because i found i was seeing lots of results there.

i learned about not weighing when i was in an eating disorder rehab years ago. they wouldnt let us see our weight for the reasons above.

since i stopped weighing i am not eating junk like i was.

anyway just wanted to share my experience with this...

I am so glad to see this post - I have been struggling since I started eating solids - at 2 week post op. I had to cancel my first fill but am going in on Friday - I haven't lost anything since 2 weeks out and it will be 7 weeks now - - - I am glad that this is normal. Made me wonder if I was going to fail at this too!

Thanks everyone.

I also seem to be stuck in a plateau...I was banded 2 weeks ago, and I lost 19 lbs. in the first two weeks I was on liquids (one week before and one week after surgery). This past week, I have only lost a pound, and that fluctuates from day to day. It is hard to understand how I could not be losing weight when I am sticking to my liquid diet...I am having sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast in the morning, a Protein Shake for lunch, and blended Soup for dinner. I know that I should be happy with my weight loss so far, but it is discouraging to get on the scale after being on only liquids for 3 weeks, and it seems to be stuck. I start my mushies tomorrow, and I really hope I don't start gaining anything back...I have been so good about sticking to my prescribed diet!

I also seem to be stuck in a plateau...I was banded 2 weeks ago, and I lost 19 lbs. in the first two weeks I was on liquids (one week before and one week after surgery). This past week, I have only lost a pound, and that fluctuates from day to day. It is hard to understand how I could not be losing weight when I am sticking to my liquid diet...I am having sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast in the morning, a Protein shake for lunch, and blended Soup for dinner. I know that I should be happy with my weight loss so far, but it is discouraging to get on the scale after being on only liquids for 3 weeks, and it seems to be stuck. I start my mushies tomorrow, and I really hope I don't start gaining anything back...I have been so good about sticking to my prescribed diet!

Scale weight repeatedly stalls during the weight loss process. Common reasons include the following: (A) Patient is eating more than they think they are. (:o Patient is retaining Fluid for some reason, like salt intake or menstrual cycle © Patient's body is dehydrated, and is retaining Fluid for that reason (D) Patient's body weight has increased due to muscle tissue increasing due to increased exercise (E) Unknown.

The best way to not go insane about scale weight is simple: Stop weighing obsessively.

Weigh in not more than once a week, because momentary weight fluctuations of as little as 1% of your body weight will wipe out a full week's weight loss. Take measurements before being banded so that when the scale weight stops, you can re-measure to see if your body size is shrinking while the scale stalls. EXPECT the scale loss to stall once in a while, this is NORMAL.

Weight loss is a "Staircase, not a curve" that is, its stop, then drop, stop, and then drop.

Susan,

I am not sure on the gaining wt part. I had a friend whose hubby did this. She said he wasn't ready to give food up. He had to make it up in his mind that the band was just a tool to help him and he had to work at it too. My hubby and I both have it done to be moral support to each other. Talk to your doctor. Are you drinking sodas? Don't because the carbonation stretches your stomache allowing you to eat more.

Hope all goes well.

WildCat Mom

Thank you, Wendell. I love reading your posts. I always get excited when I see one of them because you are so informative and are often the voice of reason.

I know that I have to stop weighing myself everyday...it's going to be hard but I am going to try!

I SO wanted to be one of those people who followed every instruction to the letter.

I ALSO wanted to be the rare bird who lost slowly and steadily and wouldn't need a fill for a long time.

These WANTS are happening about as well as WANTING a figure like Angelina Jolie was getting me in shape BEFORE surgery! (That is NOT AT ALL!!)

In the first week and a half I quickly dropped from 301 to 290. Then -- curse it all, I drifted -- I've been 293, 294 or 295 every day since then. My body REALLY likes the mid-290s!!! Dang it!!

Because of that, my nutritionist told me to do another week of full liquids. Did I do it? Heck no! I leapt right over mushies and have pretty much been eating whatever the heck I want.....altho' I placate myself by reminding me that I am

• making excellent food choices
  • taking in 1/4 tp 1/3 of what I previously consumed
  • chewing excessively well
  • avoiding drinking like I am supposed to

I'm full aware of the consequences of rushing things MIGHT set the stage for slippage later. But, I had the weigh the consequences of the here and now which might've included jail time and/or a lengthy trial because I was SO frustrated somebody was gonna get hurt.

Okay, That may be a slight exaggeration. SLIGHT, I said. Because I WAS snapping people's heads off and really NOT being my usual cherubic self.

Anyhow, I'm still weighing every day -- WHY? Because if/when there IS a change, I want to know about it immediately. BUT, I'm pretty much ignoring the neutral/negative results because I am noticing a little more room in my waistbands.

:clap2: Altho' I'd hoped to already be disposing of a few things by now,....at least I can see there is SOMETHING happening. I'll just have to be content with that.

Hi Pam---I just wanted to remind you of something my Dr. told me to expect that maybe yours didn't mention. I was told that it is very common among women to get very emotional, easy to anger, have excess fatigue etc. during the first quick losing phase, and even possible at any time when you are losing quickly. The reason behind it that he give me, is that your fat cells hold estrogen, and when it dumps into the bodies system, every other hormone we produce has to go into overdrive in an attempt to rebalance our systems. At all times our bodies are working to stay in a balanced mode, and any number of things including just our normal menstrual cycles, can and do disrupt the balance. The sudden influx of extra estrogen is hitting the body in a similar pattern he said to what it does pre menstrually. So in other words, we go through an extended bit of PMS....regardless where it hits in our actual cycles....and regardless if we even have those anymore!!!!

I had my banding after a hysterectomy, and I was not exempt!!!

I suffered for years with Migraine headaches, always hormonal based. I could never take birth control pills, anything with estrogen, it was instant visual distrubances, then the headache. Following my hysterectomy, I did not have a single migraine in over 4 years! Then when I got banded.....about 2 weeks out my first one hit! Luckily he had prepared me, and I knew why I was getting it -didn't help the headache one little bit though. I had a total of 3 in about a 3-4 week period of time, I was grouchy, I cried at the drop of a hat....just very moody. Nothing debilitating, or anything that serious. Just an explanation of WHY I felt so "bitchy".

I won't flame you for eating when you are supposed to be healing---but don't be surprised if your Dr. does!!!

Relax, the band will be successful for you, if you treat it right, and do your part----which begins with getting proper restriction after you have healed. When you can start the fill process, things will change for all of you. Maybe not over night, and maybe not with the first fill---but work with your Dr. and give both the band and yourself another chance-----you are all WAAAAY to early in the game to be getting discouraged, and doubting yourself and your successes.

Kat

First off I want to thank you Susan for being brave enough to post this. I too have not had my first fill yet and have gain back some of the weight I lost in the first few weeks. I have gotten so down and depressed and am seriously looking at the date every few hours trying to will the 22nd to be here so I can get my fill. I have even been avoiding this site because I am sooooo ashamed of myself. Secondly, I want to thank all of you that have responded to Susan's post because you all have given me the hope and encouragement that Susan and I need right now. By the way Susan I am sooooo jealous that your fill is on the 14th and my is on the 22nd. Just kidding I am happy for you. It makes me happy that there are so many cheerleaders in our court who don't even know us. Thankyou all so much!!!!

Thanks, for the information, because I was going crazy thinking that the surgery wasn't working. Even those I had my surgery a month ago. Cassiew

no susan i dont think it is unusual at all to not want to know your weight i was on a diet plan a year ago and if i busted my ass all week and didnt lose it basically made me want to give up it ruined my day and my whole week so i think it is very wise if you feel that way about it at some point when you are ready go by a scale any only weigh in once a week this seems to work for me ! i can weigh myself in the morning ane literally be up 5 lbs like 3 hours later? its frustrating so ya good luck with your fill!