Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recommendations? K. Krause or E. Meguid?

My Lap-Band doc is moving out of state. She recommended these 3 surgeons: Dr. Ed Meguid, Dr. Kevin Krause or Dr. Hawasli. Does anyone go to these docs? Can anyone give me advice as to which is better? How many band patients do they have? I've already had surgery, but I need a doc who is willing to do my fills.

Thanks!

Good luck trying to find one. I've been looking for a week and when I find one, and try to make an appointment, they have to talk to the doctor and then they don't bother calling back.

You can try Port Huron. It's a good two hour drive for me.

I too am a patient of Dr. Deol's. I haven't a clue as to where to go from here, but I know that she did mention Dr. Krause is out of Royal Oak Beaumont, and I believe the other two are out of Bon Secour. Did you happen to get anything in the mail from her office? I haven't as yet, but I am sure we will get something. I am going to try to get in for one last fill this month before she leaves.

I too am a patient of Dr. Deol's. I haven't a clue as to where to go from here, but I know that she did mention Dr. Krause is out of Royal Oak Beaumont, and I believe the other two are out of Bon Secour. Did you happen to get anything in the mail from her office? I haven't as yet, but I am sure we will get something. I am going to try to get in for one last fill this month before she leaves.

I'm so sad that she is leaving, but she got a great offer and she deserves it. She was getting a letter ready to send to patients and gave me a copy while I was in the office. You'll probably be getting it soon. If you don't, let me know and I can give you the details.

I talked to the gal in the office today... apparently they should know by next week if another doc will be taking over the practice. I'm really hoping this happens so I don't have to beg another doc to take me on for aftercare. We'll see... If this doesn't happen, I'm planning on trying Dr. Krause, mostly because I live in Royal Oak and it would be nice and close in case of emergency.

I don't have any personal experience, but my mother was not impressed with her two previous lap band doctors - mcguid and hawasli. I forget which one was her surgeon and which one she just did follow ups with... Nothing horrible, but they really didn't know nearly as much about the lapband as they did the gastric bypass, and it showed whenever my mother had a question. She was having issues with swallowing food.. it hurt her to swallow even well chewed foods,, but she was still hungry all the time... their suggestions were always to try getting another adjustment... it really made my mom feel like it was all her fault and she had "failed"... When I decided to get banded,, I went to Dr. Deol's seminar with my mother, and my mother was immediately impressed with her and switched to her... Dr. Deol figured out the problem was an esophageol pouch (i''m fuzzy on the details) - and assured my mom that she wasn't a failure! And has been working with my mom to make sure everything is okay...

Anyway, if it hadn't been for dr. deol she would have just thought she "failed' or the lap band was another failure.. the other two doctors just didn't understand the issue..

Anyway, that was my mother's experience, it might be entirely unique, but I thought i'd post it in case anyone was interested.

I could ask my mom for more details about either doctors if anyone is interested. I'd have her post here but she is computer illiterate!

-mary

Mary,

Thank you so much for your post. I am looking for posts either positive or negative. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone come forward with positive comments. I heard that they only did 25 lap bands. That would explain why they didn't know what to do about your mother.

Mary,

Thank you so much for your post. I am looking for posts either positive or negative. Unfortunately, I haven't seen anyone come forward with positive comments. I heard that they only did 25 lap bands. That would explain why they didn't know what to do about your mother.

I had no idea they only did 25 lap bands, I will have to tell her that! Her PCP told her to go to that hospital so I think she assumed it was them or nothing. By the way, your signature made me laugh out loud!

That figure regarding 25 lap bands was haunting me, so I did a search online to get to the bottom of it. I found the original article and it was written in August of 2004. Hopefully Dr. Hawasli has done many more surgeries since then.

I talked to one of the staff at Dr. Hawasli and Dr. Meguid's office. (It turns out that she married an old friend of the family. Small world!) Here is what I found out. Dr. H sounds like a very skilled surgeon. He has done organ transplants. He is the head of laproscopic surgery at St. John's and founded the program there. The two of them do various bariatric surgeries also. As far as lap bands, they do not use fluro for fills unless there is a problem. Fills are usually done in the office. She had lap band surgery by them and believes they are good at fills. I'm just wondering, for me, if it would be better to go to Port Huron because lap bands are all they do.