Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is PCOS and ANEMIA considered a co morbidity?

I'm new to this site. I'm having my first appointment Monday October 10th. I have tricare standard. My bmi is 38 and I've only been diagnosed with PCOS and Anemia. I'm not sure if I'll get approved so I'm thinking about canceling my appointment. My husband said I snore really loud to the point where he doesn't sleep in the same room with me most nights. Anyone else had the same problems I'm having?

@@Big_fine You very well could have sleep apnea - which is usually a comorbidity. They may consider covering you with PCOS. Anemia will have to be treated and stable prior to surgery - as they won't usually operate if you are anemic at the time of surgery.

I wouldn't cancel your appointment - see what they surgeon says!

I would definitely get a sleep study done to see if you have sleep apnea. It is a co-morbidity. I have Tricare Prime. I never saw where PCOS was listed. I encourage you to visit the surgeon. Remember, don't stand tall when they measure your height. The shorter you are, the greater the BMI at your weight. lol Good luck with everything!

I don't think so. I had PCOS but it was my elevated BP that qualified as a co morbid. Hypertension, Diabetes, COPD, Congestive heart failure, Asthma, sleep Apnea, Coronary Artery Disease, Chronic Kidney Disease these all fall under co morbids as I'm sure many others do as well. These conditions can be prevented or controlled. Chronic conditions lasting 6 months or longer uncontrolled could Kill you over time. Think about that... PCOS wont kill you-- could lead to metabolic syndrome-- Diabetes but PCOS itself properly managed that has not exacerbated into Metabolic syndrome will not kill you directly. However sleep Apnea could. COPD could. DM could. Hope that makes sense. Anemia-- could be Iron deficiency related, or sub clinical. Either way it won't kill you directly likely you would become symptomatic and seek medical attention and be administered a blood transfusion.

I'm sure I'm wrong somewhere here but we're speaking in terms of "qualifying comorbids" for WLS conditions that are costing health insurance companies and tax payers billions of dollars to treat patients every year. Conditions that have a high correlation to obesity. Or known to diminish once obesity is controlled. Just a guess...

@@Big_fine first thing you should do is check with your insurance and see if those things are a qualifying DX. If not, than what is.... and if you don't have any of those... then what is the required BMI.

I didn't have any so my BMI had to be 40.... i knew ahead of time i didn't qualify... so to get my BMI at 40... I gained 10lbs. Thats right and i would do it again and again..... Gain 10 to lose 100... hell yes. it was easy to gain 10... and it put me at the 40. Then i went to the seminar... and the rest is history.

@@KristenLe I have to disagree with you Kristen on the appointment. this is the reason, once you open the can of warms there is no going back.... if she goes and they tell her no, it could make the process harder. I say get your answers first with insurance.... then go to the dr. This way if you need the bmi to be 40, you can have time to make changes before you step on the scale and they write the # down. Get what im saying...