Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would I be a candidate?

Hello all,

I have just recently begun researching the different bariatric options for weight loss. I am currently the heaviest I have ever been. I am 197 and a little under 5'2". This puts my BMI right at 37. I realize that is not super high, though I'm curious about the comorbid thing. I have disc degeneration and a herniated disc, so I had to have 360 lumbar fusion surgery 2 years ago. Also, after my last pregnancy 4 years ago, I developed a stress on my heart, which has now led to lifetime medication to keep blood pressure in check. My yearly echos show my heart is doing fine and shows no abnormality, but every time we try to get off the meds, my blood pressure goes up. Additionally, after that pregnancy, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and have been wearing a mask for about 2 1/2 years. I have gained 22 pounds this year, but I started Zoloft for lack of energy and motivation. It helped some, but I've been gaining so much weight! Between that and the blood pressure beta blocker I take, I'm really at a disadvantage for weight loss. However, what makes me not sure I'm a candidate, is that if I'm being REALLY honest, I'm mainly overweight because I have some sort of addiction to food I think. I just can't seem to get the control to say no. I get tired and don't feel like cooking dinner, so I stop by Whataburger, which wouldn't be that big of a deal if I hadn't had McDonalds for lunch! Anyway, I feel like most people that get this surgery have to have it because they have a physical reason they can't lose weight, not just because they can't stop over eating. I wish I could stick to a good, healthy diet. I keep failing, so part of me feels until I can have better self control, I just deserve to be this way. It's just frustrating sometimes. Sorry for the vent!

I had gastric sleeve surgery September 13th. I'm a 45 yr old male 5 ft 8 inches started at 285 pounds. All my health test came back great. I too have sleep apnea... I am clearly a food addict. If you pursue surgery it is not the solution for us addicts..it is a tool. I am combining my surgery with counseling and support group. Hope this helps. Good luck

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

sleep apnea and high blood pressure are two of the commonly accepted comorbidities. Assuming your egd, cardiac and phych clearence come back ok, i would assume you would be approved. You should check with your insurance co to see what the requirements are.

My insurance did not cover me at all because they simply don't cover ANY weight loss surgery, which is is ridiculous in my opinion, but that's another topic. LOL! If your insurance does cover weight loss surgeries, it sounds to me like you would be a candidate because of the co-morbidity issues. But, don't feel alone at all....I would be willing to bet the majority of us here have food issues and problems with the way we eat. That's why most of us are in the position we are in. Don't let that deter you!! This is an excellent tool....I am only a month post-op, but trust me when I say that right now, I have NO desire to overeat. You will be in a lot of pain if you eat too much, so as long as you follow the diet guidelines, I feel confident you will do fine. You won't be able to eat like you used to. I highly recommend it. Good luck with everything!

You need to find a WL seminar in your area. The doctors know the answers to your questions. My husbands cardiologist was supportive before we ever went to the seminar. He okayed my husband on the spot.

It will depend on your insurance but you might be approved with your co- morbidities. Good luck!!

Hello all,

I have just recently begun researching the different bariatric options for weight loss. I am currently the heaviest I have ever been. I am 197 and a little under 5'2". This puts my BMI right at 37. I realize that is not super high, though I'm curious about the comorbid thing. I have disc degeneration and a herniated disc, so I had to have 360 lumbar fusion surgery 2 years ago. Also, after my last pregnancy 4 years ago, I developed a stress on my heart, which has now led to lifetime medication to keep blood pressure in check. My yearly echos show my heart is doing fine and shows no abnormality, but every time we try to get off the meds, my blood pressure goes up. Additionally, after that pregnancy, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and have been wearing a mask for about 2 1/2 years. I have gained 22 pounds this year, but I started Zoloft for lack of energy and motivation. It helped some, but I've been gaining so much weight! Between that and the blood pressure beta blocker I take, I'm really at a disadvantage for weight loss. However, what makes me not sure I'm a candidate, is that if I'm being REALLY honest, I'm mainly overweight because I have some sort of addiction to food I think. I just can't seem to get the control to say no. I get tired and don't feel like cooking dinner, so I stop by Whataburger, which wouldn't be that big of a deal if I hadn't had McDonalds for lunch! Anyway, I feel like most people that get this surgery have to have it because they have a physical reason they can't lose weight, not just because they can't stop over eating. I wish I could stick to a good, healthy diet. I keep failing, so part of me feels until I can have better self control, I just deserve to be this way. It's just frustrating sometimes. Sorry for the vent!

Sleep apnea is,a comorbidity, for sure. Thays usually all it takes for a BMI under 40. Im similar to you, Bmi 36 HBP, and I qualified. Good luck

Sent from my SM-N920P using the BariatricPal App

I'm a low BMI too. 35.6. I have sleep apnea and that is an acceptable co-morbidity. My only problem is I can't lose any more weight before surgery, or I will be disqualified on the spot. I can't go below 35. I have Tricare Prime South for insurance.

I'm also going through a similar situation. I'm 49 My bmi is 36. I don't have a severe comobibtity. I also have DDD and had fusion surgery on my neck c5,c6 &c7. I have arthritis in my back neck and knees. Also dvt that is requiring a 2nd surgery to strip varicose veins. sleep apnea should get you through. Any Dr note that states weight loss would improve the medical situation. I'm not sure mine will be enough to be approved on what I have. I am going in my 5th month and my Dr will submit the paperwork in November. Keeping my fingers crossed, Good luck to you !!!!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using the BariatricPal App

You MUST seek a surgeons advice!!!!!!!!!!