Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Face work - how to find a surgeon?

TerriD

Yes, it just seems that as you lose weight you also lose in the face. Facial surgery before all the weight is off might just result in the need for it again. As for the stabalizing. I think that is to allow your skin to go to the state it will rermain after all the weight lost.

I'm researching very early on (about 8 months to a year early) because I want to get all the info I can before hand. Also I'll need that amount of time to save the money.

I went to the support group meeting at Dr. Spivak's office last week (Tuesday evenings at 7pm) and the speaker was a plastic surgeon that works alot with Dr. Spivak. His name was Dr. John K. Long and I plan to have a consultation with him in the future.

I found out he was going to be there by looking at the speaker schedule on Dr. Spivak's website.

The director of the program, Wanda Chase recently had some work done and looks AMAZING! I think her surgeon's name was Dr. Heller and he is with Baylor (I believe she said).

Anyway . . . just wanted to share this info.

Have a great Monday ~

Lynn

Great Lynn!! Thanks for sharing that! I won't be shopping for a tummy tuck...that's not my priority. I figured that's the kind of work that the PS does that speaks at the support groups. But still, I'll bet that Spivak can give me a referral for whatever i want done. I'll wait a few more months before persuing it...hopefully can lose at least another 20#! (I'm starting to wonder!)

Great Lynn!! Thanks for sharing that! I won't be shopping for a tummy tuck...that's not my priority. I figured that's the kind of work that the PS does that speaks at the support groups. But still, I'll bet that Spivak can give me a referral for whatever i want done. I'll wait a few more months before persuing it...hopefully can lose at least another 20#! (I'm starting to wonder!)

Most welcome Terri, I was hoping that you'd be at the meeting!

I am with you with the last 20 pounds . . . I spend most of my waking hours wondering if I need a fill . . .

I went in for one last Tuesday, but Leslie didn't think I needed one - ??? She seems to think I am losing okay, but I don't think I am being impatient - I haven't lost very quickly (or that MUCH!) and would love a little 'jump start' . . . I think I may try to get in this Thursday afternoon to see Dr. Spivak himself - ???

I'd KILL to weigh 155#!!! If you're losing, I wouldnt get a fill. I'm pretty much max'd out and I can tell you that being too tight is no fun! I'm okay for now but I couldn't take a drop more!

Oh, and I can't go to Spivak's support groups -- I have another obligation on Tuesday nights. :)

Heller used to work at my hospital (here in houston)- he does very good breast work and TT

I'm trying to find names of PS as well - I'm going to need mostly body work when I get to goal. I'll ask some of the PS here who they'd go to (I work at MD Anderson)

I'd KILL to weigh 155#!!! If you're losing, I wouldnt get a fill. I'm pretty much max'd out and I can tell you that being too tight is no fun! I'm okay for now but I couldn't take a drop more!

Okay - I called and am supposed to go in for a fill in the morning.

I have a question . . . . Just hypothetically suppose (:)) I was able to eat 8 chicken nuggets from Chick-fil-A and a side of cole slaw in one sitting . . . would those of you who are at your 'sweet spot' think I needed a fill ???

I still have a real blurred idea of 'how much' is okay I think- sad huh, since I'm almost a year out . . . I really think that is too much and so that is why I scheduled the fill.

Thanks,

Lynn

I can't eat chicken nuggets at all...or if so I have to eat teeny, tiny little bites (fried stuff in general gives me problems). I would be able to eat maybe 3 chicken nuggets and 1/2 serving of cole slaw. Yeah, you need a fill!!

I've just had a full face lift: eyes, brow, neck, jaw. My surgeon told me that it is unwise to get one until you are at goal and your weight is stable within 10 lbs +/- max. I had my face lift on Sept 24 and it already looks great!!! I have been getting lots of compliments. Still feels kind of weird though....

I want to get a face lift too. I have no idea what they cost. Can someone give me a ball park idea at what I am looking at ?

I hate the way my face and neck look now that I have lost the weight.

I want to get a face lift too. I have no idea what they cost. Can someone give me a ball park idea at what I am looking at ?

I hate the way my face and neck look now that I have lost the weight.

Denise

It depend on your area - $25,000 - $30,000 for a full face lift - that's the whole thing... That's here in California - I am a ball parking that figure - depend on the doctor too

green

how much does it hurt to get the kind of lift you have? Did you go to a doc outside of USA?

I am Canadian and live in Toronto and so I went to one who is here. I did choose one who has a big name and and an excellent reputation. He is one of the surgeons to whom our media go for quotes whenever they are doing articles on cosmetic surgery, and he has also been profiled often.

I paid about $25,000 for the work and it still isn't quite finished. Now I am involved in a series of treatments to get rid the rosacea on my cheeks and generally improve the quality of my skin. I went to my first session yesterday. It hurt more than I expected, by the way.

I chose my surgeon very, very carefully. This is because your face is out there 24/7 and a grrl doesn't want to live with any mistakes. :omg: None of us want to spend the rest of our years wearing a burqa, eh? :phanvan

I was on the operating table for 9 hours and I remained at the clinic overnight. I could have returned for a second night but I wanted to be at home. Because the operation is such a long one the surgeon required that I undertake a number of medical tests beforehand in order to assure that I was healthy enough to handle this. A stress test is one of these and a visit to an eye doc is another. The eye doc gave me a test to see if my eyes were 'wet' enough to withstand an eyelift.

Unlike with the op for the lap band, after this surgery you can't immediately leave town. You will require some aftercare. I was operated on a Monday, sent home on Tuesday, and had to make return visits to the clinic Wed, Thurs, Fri, and the following Monday. They want to keep an eye on you and towards the end of the week they begin to remove your stitches and staples.

The pain is, I found, seriously bad but I don't handle pain well. Never have. I do believe that you must find an excellent surgeon and really, really trust him. The reason for this is that you will go through a week of looking like a monster, and then a week of looking like a very ugly human. I spent a week looking like Michael Caine, the Brit actor, after he had been badly beaten and this really freaked me out. I figured that if I had to look like a British actor why couldn't it have been Jude Law???? As for my eyes, I looked like I had Down's Syndrome and had been in a car crash.

Now, though, I do look great, thanks to the lap band and the face work. Yesterday my pharmacist who is just a kid went nuts over face lift. (I told him when I was cashing in the script for all the heavy narcotics and other exotic meds. :)) There are, however, large portions of my face and neck which feel funny (this is because it takes time for the nerves to reconnect) and which will continue to do so for a long time yet and my cheeks and eyes are still somewhat swollen - mostly my cheeks.

It used to be that a lot of Americans would cross the border to have cosmetic work done up here. This was when our dollar was really cheap. Now Canada is no longer such a bargain.

I hope I have answered all your questions. If you have any more, feel free to ask. ;) Do get yourselves the best face surgeon in the biz, is my one most important piece of advice. :ranger: