Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No wonder you are confused. Those instructions are very confusing. I am not even at 1500 calories in maintenance at almost 16 months post-op. And I would think it will be near impossible to get 1500 calories in just 3 meals without snacking. My meals are rarely (if ever) 500 calories per meal. There just isn't enough room. And if you are eating lean Protein and veggies, they aren't calorie dense enough. That said, we are very glad you asked about what you can have as it is tough with such little instructions. I had a huge booklet though and I was still confused (too much info really). There are some docs who say no Protein drinks, but I will tell you that at this far out, I am still having one per day. I just cannot imagine how I would get sufficient calories and Protein without it given my stomach capacity is so small.

I didn't read all the posts, so forgive me if the following is repetitive, but here are some suggestions:

Try Premier Protein ready to drink shakes. They are great! They are thin, only 11 ounces and have 30g of protein. Some folks don't like them, but many do recommend them and that is what I still drink.

For a powder (if you go that route) be sure to get whey Protein ISOLATE (it supposedly absorbs differently). I use Precision Engineered whey Protein Isolate and I just love it. It also has 30g of protein and other good macro-nutrients (plus is 99% lactose free if that is an issue for you). What I liked about the powder (especially the first 6 to 12 weeks) was that I would add it to stuff. For example (once you can tolerate thicker "liquids" or soft food), I would add in 1/2 scoop of vanilla powder to 1/2 a container of greek yogurt (my favorites are Dannon Light & Fit Greek Key Lime or Dannon Light & Fit strawberry Cheesecake). I would also add 1/2 scoop of chocolate Protein Powder to a sugar free / fat free dark chocolate pudding snack container. Those things really helped amp up the protein and helped keep me full.

Now one last thing, I would be happy to direct you to my nutritionist team if you like. They do all consultations over the phone so it is super easy. Throughout my weight loss phase, I would send her my food logs and talk to her about once a month. Since I reached goal, I have slowed down talking to her a bit (and to be honest with you, I have been backsliding a little and not tracking and wonder if a call to her wouldn't help with accountability and getting back on track). They specialize in bariatric patients and its not that expensive. If interested, send me a private message and I will send you the details.

Hang in there! You can do this!!

My NUT told me no straw because it puts more air into your stomach. She also said no dairy till week 4 and ice cream was a no no due to sugar and fat both which they don't want in your healing stomach

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@kmorri you are doing great! I can tell you

had a great surgical team ;D

Respect the sleeve. Be gentle. Try some Isopure at GNC. If you can tolerate the taste it is great. 40g of Protein and hydration. Kept me moving two years ago.

@@kmorri you are doing great! I can tell you

had a great surgical team ;D

Thanks @jane13 ! I think we both did! haha

Ensure is full of sugar. Special k is also so sugary that it made me sick once.

That might be what is wrong with me. I had a few sips of one earlier, after I took a shower I was so weak and light headed, shaking, like my sugar dropped or something. I am going now to get some of the premier shakes that everyone recommends.

Oh dear lord, were you sleeved by a team of chimpanzees? Is that all the guidance your post op instructions contains? Special K protein' drinks' are not your best option, BTW.
Actually I have an excellent doctor!

Hi are u in uk or us

Ensure is full of sugar. Special k is also so sugary that it made me sick once.

That might be what is wrong with me. I had a few sips of one earlier, after I took a shower I was so weak and light headed, shaking, like my sugar dropped or something. I am going now to get some of the premier shakes that everyone recommends.

When our elderly patients don't eat anything, we give them either ensure or ice cream. It's not giving them the nutritions they need but they do get calories to live on. It is full of sugar and other garbage. There was also a study on it recently which suggests that it's the worse form of a Meal Replacement one could consume.

I have tried special k in the past myself and the very thought of it disgusts me.

Good luck! Please try wArm broths made from bouillon, sugar free Popsicles, Jello, and anything at this stage to get some liquids in. I think a few Premier Protein shakes will give you much needed energy. Did you see a Nutritionist, and if so, can you call her or him for guidance, or your surgeons staff? If not, keep searching by Google, for food recommendations in stages of VSG. Good luck, day by day you will get stronger!

Haven't had surgery yet tomorrow is my day but on pre op diet my sister told me put Protein shake (I like the premier ready to drink) in freezer for awhile then put in a glass to get cold. When ready to drink comes out like a shake. Maybe that will help.

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

I use the premade premier shakes and I make my own as well. Pinterest is awesome for Protein shake recipes. You just have to kinda watch the sugars in them. Good Luck!