Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP! 16th day with pain

I was reading how some people recover quickly. Not me though. I have diarrhea every other day with pain beginning shortly after I wake up and have any type of liquid for Breakfast. I spent 4 days back in the hospital last week (all tests were normal) but nothing has changed. I can't get more than one shake in a day with about 8 oz of the recommended Soups. I try to walk a fair bit too. The pain makes my stomach and abdomen feel like they will explode. I also have that lump in my throat. I'm due to go back to work Sept. 4 and am worried I won't be able to handle it. Has anyone else felt like this? What did you do?

i felt real poorly for about two weeks. very sore. i was banded july 25. dropped about 30 lbs the first month and could bearly stand upright. i let my self get dehidrated right off the bat. couldnt get 500 calories forced down. i turned to protien drinks and grape juice to get strength up. it was a long haul, but i made it. havent lost any wieght since and dont care. im working out a little and feel pretty good but still light headed and anxious.

havent had fill and probably wont for a few more weeks. my son was banded sameday as me. he had no problems whatsoever. he has already had a fill and probably another in a few weeks.

everybody is different. what does your doctor say. i would not go back to work if your not ready. i went in after my second week, turned around and came home after about 20 minutes. stayed home for another week and really worked on getting to 1000 calories a day. i was so full from the time i woke up till i went to bed, that all i could do was just sip all day long. finally got my strength back a bit.

i think it just took a long time for my body to heal. i thoght my body was rejecting the band, but dr assured me it wasnt as it would be much worse right away. (first 24 hours). i would stay in close contact with your doctor. if all tests are normal, it will get better. hang in there.

Our clinic flushes the band on surgery day and leaves about 3cc's in it. You might want to phone your clinic and see if they do something similar and if so maybe they can remove all liquid until you heal.

I am really sorry you are having to go through all this pain. I don't think 16 days of pain is normal, most of us are super hungry at this point. I would keep following up with your surgeon until you feel 100%

When i first got banded i must say that it was really bad. At the hospital, the next day i was able to have some juice and half melted sugar free ice cream. and broth ( a spoonful of each). They sent me home thinking i was fine and dandy and i went home...

At first i was ok but i took some pain medication (hydrocodone) and i started feeling nauseous and then i was throwing up like everything (which there wasnt much to throw up in the first place) i couldn't even keep down Water. so back to the hospital i went, they took x-rays put in an iv (which was almost impossible because i was so dehydrated my veins kept collapsing) and called my surgeon and i was ordered to stay another night. So i felt a little better the next morning but very nauseated, so they kept me another night making sure i could keep liquids down.

So they next day they sent me home with a RX for nausea went home felt fine and then that same night i couldn't keep liquids down (and on top of that i had diarrhea)... this was march 19 and 4 days later and i was not keeping anything down when i went home.. So we called Dr. Shayani concerned and he asked me a couple questions and he said i had to go see him the next morning .

When i went to see him i was 5 days post op and i had lost 11lbs... we finally figured out that my stomach just couldn't handle the medications and thats what was making me so sick and the diarrhea turned out to be a infection called C. Difficle which you basically from antibiotics... So not only was i unable to take pain medicine but i also got a nasty pill for the infection which i wouldn't recommend crushed but had no choice... But eventually i got better...

I was in pain for like 3 weeks post-op (b/c i was w/o pain medicine)... Even through all that the whole time i never regretted having the surgery and i definitely think this is the best decision i have ever made in my entire life.:whoo:

GOOD LUCK... Take things slowly and it will get better... Just remember this will improve your health.. Try to go to work when you can and if its too painful then wait a little longer...

(sorry about the long novel)

Sorry you are having such a tough time. I guess i have been really lucky.Recovered pretty quick.Sounds like you should call your doctor. Hope things get better soon. Donna

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches