Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Channel your feelings into positive action. Get started now. It will only make you more prepared for this surgery that is going to help you achieve your goals. I understand your sense of "shame." I was there last December when I saw nearly 400 pounds on the scale, and now I am in a completely different place at 300 pounds. And after I have that surgery next week, and use it to help me continue my journey, I'll be in yet another different place sixth months down the road.

But no matter where I end up with this weight loss journey, I don't want to forget the "shame" of that December day in 2015. Because as soon as I do, I'll end back up there.

Best wishes!

Edited by blizair09

@HopefullnVirginia my surgery is on Thursday too! As I get older, I realize that some people can never comprehend how certain experiences feel until they have to go through them themselves. Don't ever let another person make you feel bad about who you are. You made a great decision by taking this step to gain a healthier lifestyle and to lose an unhealthy one. We all have felt bad about our weight at some point which is what made us all consider bariatric surgery to begin with! You can do this and you don't have to be ashamed, remain focused on your main goal: to be a healthier you! Best of luck on your surgery on Thursday. Prepare to come out with a new body and a new mindset, you can do it!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Some people really have no life. Seriously, who is sitting around thinking about a co-workers wife's weight? Get a hobby.

I hope your husband told him to shut the hell up and mind his own business.

@@tiff291 Thanks for your note - you are absolutely right, I just need to stay focused on my goal! Good luck to you on Thursday! Let me know how it goes and I'll do the same!

We can't change other people, only ourselves. But in my opinion that puts us a step ahead, because at least we're trying. People like your coworker can't even detect their own deficiencies. There's rose colored glasses and then there's intentional blindness. He's the latter.

You don't need this person's approval - he didn't factor into your life decisions before surgery, and he definitely won't factor into them after surgery. To quote a very overused Disney cliche: Let it go.

Go ahead and shed those tears as they may be the only benefit out of this. Get it out. And then take what he said and move it over into the "pro" column for changing your life for the better by getting the surgery.

And if you really want to put him in his place: Walk over to him and say with the biggest smile on your face - Thank you. Then walk away without another word.

You are not alone, we've all had to deal with naysayers in our life who seem to think because we're fat, we've got a built in billboard flashing: "Please give me your opinion on how I should live my life."

The truth is you owe him nothing.

You will have the last word on this, one way or another. Stay strong and true to yourself, first and foremost. You deserve it!

@@HopefulInVirginia - I've been obese since birth.

My pediatrician put me on a diet when I was in the 4th grade.

I was always teased in school, called "Big Boy" or "Big Man" by strangers. I can feel the judgement whenever I meet someone. No matter how gregarious, funny, personable, intelligent, witty or whatever I try to be, the word "fat" is almost always the first way someone would describe me to someone else.

And then let's talk about moving through crowds, trying to will my body to be smaller to fit between people at concerts, how uncomfortable seats are in stadiums or music venues and how they leave bruises on my thighs, or bus seats, or airplane seats, or booths at restaurants, or not being able to find clothes at normal stores, or any of a thousand daily reminders that I'm morbidly obese.

Four Decades of that.

Diets never work, exercise can only do so much when you get so big. It's an awful Catch-22.

And now.. there's hope. There's real hope. I see myself making progress EVERY MORNING. I look in the mirror and I see Myself in there - fuzzy, undefined, mostly obscured, but I'm there. I'm in there encouraging myself to keep going. To use this tool I've given myself and to embrace the person I've always thought deep down that I was.

Be Proud of taking this step. This is seizing control of your own life and health in the best way available to you. Someone thinks you're taking an easy way out? Well that someone doesn't know the decades of mental anguish that being obese puts you through. They can't appreciate your pain and never will. What they think is inconsequential.

I'm not even a week post-op and I know this is the best decision I've ever made. I'm a 40 year old man and I get teary-eyed when I think about who I'm going to become in the next year, of what I'll be able to do, of how I'll feel about myself. That joy is a thousand times more potent than the snide remarks of some ignorant twat.

Don't let other people's ignorance make you feel bad, if I read the post correctly sounds like hubby didn't tell this person off. I hope he is fully in your corner and supportive. Good luck with your journey and surgery. I am not sure how to work this site very well, I can't even figure out how to setup my profile.

But I am on FB ,Alice Phipps live in Gaston SC. If you can find me I would love to friend anyone going through this process and we can private message to keep in touch.

Anyway best of luck and never be ashamed of taking control of your life and health. .

Sent from my SM-N900T using the BariatricPal App

My supervisor every week always asks me if I am still going through with the surgery. He always asks me why and tell me that I am taking the easy way out but he is very unhealthy himself. When I decided to go on this journey I really was scared of how people would think, I always knew it would be some ignorant people and the ignorance really did show. You are getting yourself healthier and extending your life, you will be able to do things that you couldn't have done before. This is by no means an easy lifestyle change but you can do it and that's all that matters. GOOD LUCK!

I can't believe the gall of some of the people described in this thread. I think I'm lucky because just about everyone in my professional life has struggled with their weight to one extent or another. My VP at work lost 65 pounds last year, and my boss has lost about 50 pounds or so over the past two years. (It also helps that we are all friends, and that I have known them both for 10 years.)

I guess in my personal life, no one has had the balls to say something like that to my face if they are thinking it. But regardless, it's just ridiculous that in 2016 people think that this surgery (or any other bariatric procedure) is "taking the easy way out." Please....

I stand by what I said earlier about channeling shame and negativity into positive change. But, when it all boils down to it, screw the nasty people who are likely either blessed with great genetics or who really shouldn't be pointing fingers themselves.

I agree with everyone else. Don't give your attention to ignorant and insensitive types like this. If he really cared, he would do the research and find out more about how you are changing your life, or at the very least wish you the best possible outcome. No, this person is a self-righteous douchebag who doesn't deserve your time or energy!

Best of luck to you!

@HopefullnVirginia just checking on you, how did your surgery go?

@@tiff291 surgery went great! I'm not in pain except for the trapped gas that makes my chest hurt. Just did a lap around the hospital floor trying to help expel the gas. Otherwise I'm doing pretty good! How did your surgery go?