Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post Op Diet Journal - Phase 1

Hi ya'll,

Well it is Day 10 of Phase 1 and I don't know about you but I sure am tired of shakes and Soups. I am getting very excited about eating pureed foods. Dang I just need some real meat. I guess I really am a carnivore. I know - I know the meat will have to be pureed but I will be so happy just to have some texture if you know what I mean.

Had my follow up appointment with the surgeon yesterday and he said I was doing really well. I am down 23 pounds since 8/14 so I have nothing to complain about there. I am permitted to return to all my activities except I have to wait one more week for swimming, and I can't do heavy lifting or vacuum for two more weeks. Now that it a darn shame not to be able to vacuum - heh!

I have read all your posts and everyone sounds like they are doing pretty well too. Thanks for all your support and keep those posts coming. We will make it together!!!!!

shelli:girl_hug:

Hi all - I was banded August 24th and my journey seems to be very different from many of you. The SWLC is a clinic - I was in and out and on my way home in 5 hours. (home is a 2 hour drive). The aneasthetics used were very short acting, and resulted in very little residual drowsiness/grogginess. Up and about very quickly post-op. The drive home was bumpy - damn roads - but minimal pain medications required.

Post op diet has been changed following a recent seminar attended by the staff - 24 hours clear fluids, followed by full fluids for the rest of that 1st week and then purees for week 2. I am almost finished week 2 and have a follow-up appointment with the clinic this coming Friday. At that time as long as I am tolerating what I am currently eating, I will get the go ahead to increase to a soft diet - I am doing well so far.

Last night I made shephards pie for dinner and it was tolerated well - the ground beef was lean and crumbled well, I always add a few veggies and chewed the heck out of them - the mashed potatoes on top were wonderful! I had a total of about 1 cup of this and it held me over until about 11 am this morning. The clinic dietician called to check in on me this morning (this clinic has a fantastic follow-up program - the surgeon called me day after and I spoke to him on the chat line 2 days later) and after I told her what I was doing was given the go ahead to continue carefully. We are already talking first fill at the 4 week mark. I am currently on vacation and enjoying the time off immensley. I go back to work next Monday and at that point expect to be starting to lose on a more regular basis - this week with all the thick Soups, and salted V-8/tomato juices, I have been retaining Fluid again - that has to be changed and quickly.

Good luck everyone - we're on a great journey!

CindyD, if you like drinking the V8 juice, you can find the "low sodium". I find that I can drink that w/o retaining too much fluids. I have enjoyed reading this thread. I had my surgery 8/10 and I get my 1st fill next Tuesday. Trust me, everything you all went through I can certainly relate.

Hi Cindy and Lohamar,

Welcome to our thread.

shelli:bandit

I meant Gloharmar - welcome!

Hey guys - day 2 being back to work and I don't think I'll need a nap today - lol. Yesterday I was so beat that I slept for like 2.5 hours and couldn't go to sleep last night!!

Just getting back into the dog walking routine too.

Ugh!

I've lost a little more than 21lbs so far!!!! I wish I was more excited because of this and into this "new life style". I find myself wanting to just veg in front of the TV and eat a bunch of crap -lol! I hope that's not a bad sign ...

I had a REALLY good Soup today! Reduced Fat Campbell's Cheesey Broc. You mix it with milk - it was really yummy and will be 2 meals.

Have you guys had any favorites you can share?

Hi Cindy and Lohamar,

Welcome to our thread.

shelli:bandit

Thanks Shelli - I was hoping you wouldn't mind my jumping in -

Gloharmar I should be able to get the low sodium V8 at Loblaws - unfortunately the small grocery store didn't have it and I haven't been out - you are right - the sodium is a big deal for me - likely a bigger issue than cake/sweets. We all have our little weak spots.

Cindy

Hey Shelli--I too am on day 10 and I agree with you about wanting meat. My first choice will be a very lean charcoal grilled, out in the back yard hamburger patty!!!! Bring it on.

I had to go to primary care doctor today. I have a bladder infection. They gave me a prescription for liquid Cipro and can you believe my stupid Walmart did not have it. So, now I will wait until tomorrow and get it at Kroger where I usually do anyway.

While at stupid WalMart, I found a product you'll (can u tell I am Southern)might be intersted in It is Protein that you can put in an individual bottle of Water. They have several flavors. Oh, it is made by Kellogg.

Lost 18.1 pounds since 8/13/07!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys - day 2 being back to work and I don't think I'll need a nap today - lol. Yesterday I was so beat that I slept for like 2.5 hours and couldn't go to sleep last night!!

Just getting back into the dog walking routine too.

Ugh!

I've lost a little more than 21lbs so far!!!! I wish I was more excited because of this and into this "new life style". I find myself wanting to just veg in front of the TV and eat a bunch of crap -lol! I hope that's not a bad sign ...

I had a REALLY good Soup today! Reduced Fat Campbell's Cheesey Broc. You mix it with milk - it was really yummy and will be 2 meals.

Have you guys had any favorites you can share?

Once again it sounds like we are on the same schedule - this is the first day I was on my feet all day and did not get too tired - didn't even have to take a nap today. Yesterday after I got home from the docs I was a little bummed and didn't know what to do because as you know in the old days I would have turned to food. But couldn't do that and won't do that - I was just craving meat or salt or bread or something. But today got up on the right side of the bed and drank my shake like a good little girl.

I tried something good today. It was Progresso's chicken Gumbo soup. I thought maybe it would be too spicey but I heated it thru with half a can of chicken broth and then it was just a little spicy and very satisfying. Shared it with a friend and she got all the chicken, rice and veggies.:cry Also I like the Healthy Request Cream of Potato from Campbells. Also my friend brought me over some homemade Cream of Asparagus soup and now that was heaven.:hungry:

Glad to hear that you are doing so well Candle. Take care, shelli

Hey Shelli--I too am on day 10 and I agree with you about wanting meat. My first choice will be a very lean charcoal grilled, out in the back yard hamburger patty!!!! Bring it on.

I had to go to primary care doctor today. I have a bladder infection. They gave me a prescription for liquid Cipro and can you believe my stupid Walmart did not have it. So, now I will wait until tomorrow and get it at Kroger where I usually do anyway.

While at stupid WalMart, I found a product you'll (can u tell I am Southern)might be intersted in It is Protein that you can put in an individual bottle of Water. They have several flavors. Oh, it is made by Kellogg.

A bladder infection on top of everything else you have been thru - now that just sucks. I hope you feel better with that soon. Those can be quite annoying.

I will have to look for that product at Walmart when I go there this week - thanks. Wow, you are losing great Claramae. I promised my doctor I will not step on the scale everyday so I am not allowed to weigh myself again until Monday. Monday is the day I start on Phase 2 the pureed foods - I can't wait. Do you think hamburger would taste good pureed? You know with the cheese, Tomato, onion, ketchup, etc. lol

Take care and I will talk to you tomorrow.

Clara I swear by Cranberry juice (Blueberry juice also works) for bladder infections - drink as much as you can - it will change the pH of the urine and knock the infection out quickly. The blends work and I always get the light/diet. If the taste is too strong you can mix it with gingerale. It will help meet your liquid requirements too! Good luck.

Cindy

When I talked to the program coordinator at my dr,s office, she said one of the patients told her they pureed pizza! Now that sounds good! I work at a nursing home and they puree everything -even apple pie. Oops, maybe I shouldn't have said that!

SueStenzel

Do you think hamburger would taste good pureed? You know with the cheese, Tomato, onion, ketchup, etc. lol

Take care and I will talk to you tomorrow.

Hi, I'm a newbie to this site......really pleased to have found it. I had my band fitted on 3/08/07. Op went great very little discomfort afterwards sites have healed really well and I can't feel the port which was a great concern of mine, my apetite decreased straight away and all in all I had lost about 34 lbs from pre op to surgery. The last two weeks I have felt soooooooooooooooo hungry and wanted all the wrong things and went back to being able to eat quite large amounts a bit of indigestion here and there but nothing that I couldn't overcome!! I had felt so positive but I am sure that I have gained back some of the weight I had lost ( I hav'nt had the courage to get back on the scales) I get my first fill/inflation tomorrow and just hope this will get me back on track.......I have lost my positivity and fear failure, I'm sure I can't be the only one to feel like this at this stage I would like to add at no stage have I regretted having it done and I am sure deep down that it will work for me I think its just the fear of the unknown!

Hi Metoo, Im a newbe banded on Aug 29th, Just begin anew- don't look back and remember why you did this in the first place. With renwed conviction and determination. Stick with it, it may be the most difficult thing you do in you life, but aren't you woth it. Be good to yourself and treat yourself to small rewards when you accomplish small goals. A pedicure, or whatever floats your boat outside of food. Maybe we need to define what we like and cherish outside of food. I like uninterupted time to scrapbook. what about you? Anyway don't give up and get back on board.

Sande

Hi Sande, thanks for your encouragement.......I really have plenty to keep me busy, I am single with two boys who I enjoy so much. I am sure that my first fill TODAY will snap me out of this, I am so determined and I know it will be a gradual process. All the best Justine