Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

disturbed by my pre-op visit

So I went for my last pre-op visit today and the surgeon really tried to talk me into gastric bypass. Her reasoning was that she sees better weight loss with bypass and less complications. That is just really hard for me to believe because when we were going over the stats the mortality rate was 1 in 100 for bypass compared to 1 in 1000 in lap band. I know that weight loss will be slower with the lap band, but she has me all confused. I never even really considered the bypass, mainly because there is no way I can take more than a week off from work. She seemed to think I would be okay going back to work after a week (just said I would be tired). Any comments? Need some encouragement I guess. thanks!:help:

Personally rerouting my anatonomy scares me. Good luck with making your decision. I would get another opinion to see if they differ.

I agree with time4me...I don't like the idea of altering my digestive track and you don't have the option of going back. I have heard of lots of people who have the gastric bypass and have problems with malabsorption and not getting proper nutrients because it bypass' the intestines so quickly you don't get everything out of your food that you should. These are just a couple of reasons why I know the lap band is the right choice for me. I would definately get a second opinion and do lots of research so you make the best decision for you.

Best of luck to you.

The Doctor makes a lot more money with the bypass procedure. I went to a seminar and the surgeon stated she did 60% bypass but "always did the lap band on self pay patients". It's a business and bypass is bigger business than lapband. Check out Dr. Ortiz from Mexico. He has done thousands of this procedure and his website was very encouraging. I have talked to beaucoup people about him, also, and did hear one negative thing.

So I went for my last pre-op visit today and the surgeon really tried to talk me into gastric bypass. Her reasoning was that she sees better weight loss with bypass and less complications. That is just really hard for me to believe because when we were going over the stats the mortality rate was 1 in 100 for bypass compared to 1 in 1000 in lap band. I know that weight loss will be slower with the lap band, but she has me all confused. I never even really considered the bypass, mainly because there is no way I can take more than a week off from work. She seemed to think I would be okay going back to work after a week (just said I would be tired). Any comments? Need some encouragement I guess. thanks!:help:

I would be surprised they were pushing GB over LB for you if you have less than 100 to lose. In my mind I always thought of GB as being the most drastic measure they did and reserved for patients with lots of weight to lose. I had 200 to lose and still went with LB. But I think the option of getting a 2nd opinion is a good one. Of course I am writing this after your scheduled date. So what happened?

my surgeon kinda did the same thing. at first I thought his motives were purely financial as well, but the more we discussed I realized it was because I wanted hard core fast results, abd the bypass is geared for just that. I think he brought it up to make me question myself so i would know whether or not I trully wanted the band, and was dedicated to work for it. Your doc is taking your life into their hands, they have to play devil's advocate, for two reasons. 1. so you can't sue them later and 2. so you know exactly what your getting into. I was doubting my choice about 24 hrs before surgery too. Just trust yourself and all will be fine! good luck!!!

Today I read something about the lap band not working for people who are certain type of eaters. If they are a high sugar eater they can bypass the band by drinking high calorie shakes. Is it possible that the surgeon sugested the bypass because of that?

Thanks for all your input. I do have a sweet tooth but am more than sweets I like carbs. From what I have read the gastric bypass have the dumping syndrome from sweets not carbs, so in the end I am stuck with the same problem. Anyway I have spent a lot of time researching it and really think that bypass is way to drastic for me. I think you guys were right the bypass has the quicker result but in the end I think lap band is right for me. Glad we all have each other for support:clap2:. Elizabeth

I'm a carb addict or rather my body acts on carbs like alcohol acts on the alcoholic. The Southbeach diet is the best diet I know of that helps cure that. But all I have to do is binge on something like pies or deserts and I go right back into my cravings.

i just went to the surgeon today and the same thing happened to me. he was all pro bypass and didnt approve of the band. he said that he would do it but i need to lose 140 pounds and that i wont lose that with the band. i am so discouraged at this point and feel like calling everything off. everyone i work with decided today to agree with the surgeon and have the bypass. my boss thinks that just because im scared of the compications of the bypass that it isnt a good enough reason to have the lapband and she said that i wont have good results. see she is a doctor and she has sent people to have the bypass but has never sent anyone to have the band.

andrea

i just went to the surgeon today and the same thing happened to me. he was all pro bypass and didnt approve of the band. he said that he would do it but i need to lose 140 pounds and that i wont lose that with the band. i am so discouraged at this point and feel like calling everything off. everyone i work with decided today to agree with the surgeon and have the bypass. my boss thinks that just because im scared of the compications of the bypass that it isnt a good enough reason to have the lapband and she said that i wont have good results. see she is a doctor and she has sent people to have the bypass but has never sent anyone to have the band.

andrea

Then take what your boss says with a HUGE grain of salt. She's speaking of something she knows really NOTHING about. My PCP in the beginning wasn't totally committed to my getting banded when I first brought it up to her about two or three years ago. She's so AMAZING that she started researching it on her own and read everything I brought to her to learn more about it herself. She ended up being more pro-band than pro-bypass. Shows me why I've stuck with her since I was 14years old. Well over 20 years now.

You won't know what kind of results you have until you try.

NOTHING IS A MAGIC CURE FOR FAT

Doesn't matter if you get bypass or the band, if you aren't ready to make the changes required of either procedure, you won't be successful. Just because you have a surgery doesn't mean you will drop weight and become svelte. Both are a lot of work. Granted the bypass requires a little less work in food choices at least initially, but after a while, eventually the body regrows some intestine and what's there relearns how to absorb fat and sweets, but still doesn't absorb the nutrients you need. Not to say that bypass is terrible, it isn't if that's what you choose. I don't choose it.

You can always go have a bypass after the band if you need to. There are a couple folks here who did. Many people who have had bypass end up being banded because they are eating through their bypass. Remember it's not reversible. What they take out is gone for LIFE. IT'S FOREVER.

Good luck with your decision. I felt LB was safer and at a slower rate, so I could tone up the flab instead of having to have all the plastic surgery (which I might still need). I am ok with the slower weight loss too. I also want something for life. I have heard too many GB cases gain all their weight back. Second opinion or another surgeon all together maybe!?!

Oh Gosh -- i felt the EXACT same way and in addition to the reasons you mentioned.. my DR charged $250 for each fill!!!!!!! So her reasons made me think -- but i weighed out the pros and cons and i am scheduled for my band next week. I think it is a better, healthier choice. Good Luck with whatever you deside!

Lisa

So I got banded on the 10th. It went really well. Thankfully I have had very few problems, but I am staying home all week. I do admire any of you that go back to work after a few days. I am very glad I stuck with the descion to get banded. The night I was in the hospital after my operation I was up walking around and they brought up a lady who had just had gastric bypass. Evidently things had not gone well for her because the surgeon were all in the room talking about it (I wasn't hanging around eavesdropping, but it made a big scene). She was in so much pain she screamed all night. Now I realize that that could have happened to anyone and it could have happened with the band, but it made me very happy with my choice.

You know I startd out at 276 pounds and I went donw to 248 pounds before surgery I asked my Dr. about having the bypass at my last pre op appointment, he told me that all in all lap band patients will lose their weight from being banded, he said that by the ned of a 5 year peroid and this is statistics only that the lap band patient will lose the same amount of weight that a bypass patient would, it just takes longer and most bypass patients over a 5-10 period of time might regain their weight were as long as you have the band and adhearing to a lifetime of instructions you will lose the weit=ght and keep it off. I am now 230 pounds and if I can be banded and I have no fills yet for my surgery is a week old tomorrow then I know others can to and I could never lose weight. I am Italian, German, Dutch and well we love to cook, bake and eat.