Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talking to your children about Weight and Health

As many of you are aware, Obesity is a family disease. It's often inherited by our children. I came across a great resource today and just wanted to share it with our members. It's a website called http://weighinguide.com/ . I found that it had some great tips on how to talk to kids ages 7-11 years of age.

Well I guess I'll respond first! LOL. The link was very helpful in regards to many of our concerns about discussing weight with our kids. It can be a very slippery slope and as parents or caregivers we have to take caution when having these conversations because our kids are very sensitive to what we say and it may stay with them for the rest of their lives so we need to have positive words and not negative.

I myself have been guilty of negative words like "oh you're shaped like your dad" or "I didn't see (insert childs weight here) lbs until I was 7 months pregnant with your brother!" These words only lead to additional feelings of unworthiness and unnacceptance and does not help the child at all! The link provided some very common dillemas amongst parents and children including situations and scenarios when talking to your kids about weight can turn into a positive and impactful moment. It's a touchy subject and those of us who are dealing with an overweight child be it your own, or family member, neighbor etc. and I'm constantly in pursuit of how to tackle this issue daily!

My daughter now 12 is in the 90th percentile for height and weight. I've become desperate to get her weight under control and looked into camps I could send her away to, or even signing her up for weight watchers. Both I felt although the intentions were innocent, the outcomes could be damaging and set her up for a lifetime of failure. But how do I get her to listen to me without her feeling that I'm putting her down about her weight? it's a thin line.

I've learned that leading by example is one of the greatest gifts you can give your children. Since my WLS I have been eating healthier meals and Snacks, decreased portion sizes, Zero sweetened beverages, fast food etc. As a result I cook more-- and decided if I won't eat it why give it to my kids? I've encouraged my daughter to go to the gym with me-- she loves it and it makes her feel more grown up. Something her friends aren't even doing! She plays softball (she's darn good at it too) playing up a level with an older age group and more than keeping up. She made her Jr high school girls basketball team so she's been engaging in 2 hours of practice after school 5 days a week. Softball practice one day a week and games on Sunday. We meal plan throughout the week, get up early or go after softball practice and do our shopping and on Sundays we meal prep. She takes her lunch every day todays lunch included a salad topped with cucumbers, strawberries, turkey breast, boiled egg and light raspberry vinaigrette. Sides include 6 Strawberries, Greek Yogurt, Colby jack cheese stick and a Zero calorie Steaz tea. I allow and encourage her to pack 1 sweet treat last week were 9 pumpkin spice yogurt pretzels. This week will be Pepperidge farm Milano Cookies (2) 120 cal. I am trying to encourage moderation not deprivation.

So far-- it's working well. Since school has begun 9/6 she has lost close to 10lbs. She's blown away by how fast she's losing and I tell her it's all her hard work and of course her youth! Its also reinforcement to continue the healthy behavior. I have her weigh weekly to maintain accountability for her choices and make tweaks in her plan as needed. She has a short term goal that she is very close to and a long term goal that we hope to achieve by the end of the school year. Reminding her that 1-2 lbs a week is normal and that stalls will happen along the way. She is rewarded with things that matter to her. A new shirt, nail polish, sleepover with a friend. the most important thing is we're doing it together-- and she's guiding the ship.

I asked her do you ever feel like I put you on a diet. She said yes! but then she took it back saying " well-- not really we've made a lot of changes though. No McDonalds or wendys everyday or ever now! But it's ok I don't get headaches as much as I used to and I like making the food that I eat. I feel like I used to eat without even thinking about it and now I understand more about serving sizes, calories, sugars and Protein. I understand how easy it is to eat way too much without even realizing it! and now I know better."-- out of the mouths of babes.

I'm on a mission for my health and I couldn't imagine leaving her behind.

Edited by Candygyrl

Well I guess I'll respond first! LOL. The link was very helpful in regards to many of our concerns about discussing weight with our kids. It can be a very slippery slope and as parents or caregivers we have to take caution when having these conversations because our kids are very sensitive to what we say and it may stay with them for the rest of their lives so we need to have positive words and not negative.

I myself have been guilty of negative words like "oh you're shaped like your dad" or "I didn't see (insert childs weight here) lbs until I was 7 months pregnant with your brother!" These words only lead to additional feelings of unworthiness and unnacceptance and does not help the child at all! The link provided some very common dillemas amongst parents and children including situations and scenarios when talking to your kids about weight can turn into a positive and impactful moment. It's a touchy subject and those of us who are dealing with an overweight child be it your own, or family member, neighbor etc. and I'm constantly in pursuit of how to tackle this issue daily!

My daughter now 12 is in the 90th percentile for height and weight. I've become desperate to get her weight under control and looked into camps I could send her away to, or even signing her up for weight watchers. Both I felt although the intentions were innocent, the outcomes could be damaging and set her up for a lifetime of failure. But how do I get her to listen to me without her feeling that I'm putting her down about her weight? it's a thin line.

I've learned that leading by example is one of the greatest gifts you can give your children. Since my WLS I have been eating healthier meals and Snacks, decreased portion sizes, Zero sweetened beverages, fast food etc. As a result I cook more-- and decided if I won't eat it why give it to my kids? I've encouraged my daughter to go to the gym with me-- she loves it and it makes her feel more grown up. Something her friends aren't even doing! She plays softball (she's darn good at it too) playing up a level with an older age group and more than keeping up. She made her Jr high school girls basketball team so she's been engaging in 2 hours of practice after school 5 days a week. Softball practice one day a week and games on Sunday. We meal plan throughout the week, get up early or go after softball practice and do our shopping and on Sundays we meal prep. She takes her lunch every day todays lunch included a salad topped with cucumbers, strawberries, turkey breast, boiled egg and light raspberry vinaigrette. Sides include 6 Strawberries, Greek Yogurt, Colby jack cheese stick and a Zero calorie Steaz tea. I allow and encourage her to pack 1 sweet treat last week were 9 pumpkin spice yogurt pretzels. This week will be Pepperidge farm Milano Cookies (2) 120 cal. I am trying to encourage moderation not deprivation.

So far-- it's working well. Since school has begun 9/6 she has lost close to 10lbs. She's blown away by how fast she's losing and I tell her it's all her hard work and of course her youth! Its also reinforcement to continue the healthy behavior. I have her weigh weekly to maintain accountability for her choices and make tweaks in her plan as needed. She has a short term goal that she is very close to and a long term goal that we hope to achieve by the end of the school year. Reminding her that 1-2 lbs a week is normal and that stalls will happen along the way. She is rewarded with things that matter to her. A new shirt, nail polish, sleepover with a friend. the most important thing is we're doing it together-- and she's guiding the ship.

I asked her do you ever feel like I put you on a diet. She said yes! but then she took it back saying " well-- not really we've made a lot of changes though. No McDonalds or wendys everyday or ever now! But it's ok I don't get headaches as much as I used to and I like making the food that I eat. I feel like I used to eat without even thinking about it and now I understand more about serving sizes, calories, sugars and Protein. I understand how easy it is to eat way too much without even realizing it! and now I know better."-- out of the mouths of babes.

I'm on a mission for my health and I couldn't imagine leaving her behind.

I absolutely love this! Growing up i was always the "fat" sibling or the "fat" friend...and i wish i had someone to teach me the things you are teaching your daughter! I don't have children yet but this inspired me so much..even had a tear in my eye...the world needs more mothers like you!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App