Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lots of questions.

I'm somewhat pre-fill...in a few days I'll be going on total solids, and then, in a couple of weeks, I'll have my first fill. Here's my situation:

I had my surgery on July 23rd. The diet I followed through today is:

No more than one oz every 15 minutes: 24 ounces a day of Protein drink and 24 oz a day of Water - I generally accomplished this by drinking solidly throughout the day. This lasted a full week.

No more than one oz every 15 mintues: During the second week I started to add in some very thinned out oatmeal...a tablespoon at most, to the 24/24.

No more than 2 oz every 15 minutes: During the third week I went to "mushies", and, instead of drinking 24 oz of Protein Drink, I first drank 20, adding Tomato Soup, baby food, oatmeal I'd chopped in the blender prior to cooking to make it smaller and more easy to digest, low-fat cottage cheese, or applesauce. All told, the food and Protein Drink came to 24 oz, with the same 24 oz of Water. By the end of the third week, I was on 16 oz of Protein drink and 8 oz of mushies, and again, the same 24 oz of water.

During the fourth week, I had extended my mushie food, and was spending, say, an hour drinking a Soup at hand or an hour eating a serving of oatmeal. I don't know if I got into trouble here, but I never exceeded the "rule" of having more than 2 oz every 15 minutes.

During the fourth week, we had a death in the family and suddenly I was forced to confront actual food. I did bring soup at hand, but one evening I was forced to deal with chicken and vegetables, and simply cut them into tiny, tiny pieces and chewed forever. By the end of this week, I was totally off Protein drinks and entirely on mushies, only what I considered mushy was probably solid. I never had a problem digesting...my only issue was gas, and Beano and Phyzame fixed that.

It's now my final week before seeing the nutritionist, and based on all I read on the post-fill forums here, I'm scared. So far I've lost more than 30 pounds - 15 in the pre-op diet and 17 post-op. So now, with that background, here are my questions:

How on earth do you get enough water in you if you have to stop drinking an hour before eating and can't drink again for two hours afterward? I'm incredibly dehydrated, and my doctor said I can drink more than eight oz of water an hour if I need to, but I find I just can't, even when exercising.

And that brings me into my next question: right now, by spreading eight oz of calories over an hour (as opposed to two oz here and there), I CAN more or less fit in the water. I end up with three meals and a snack. It sounds as though once I get a fill, this won't be possible. Is it "bad" to eat an 8 oz meal over the course of an hour...or should it be in smaller segments?

And so...if I'm not hungry ever now, is that because I'm still recovering internally and the hunger will come back, or am I one of those lucky people who may not need a fill? Right now I'm eating about 650 calories a day and exercising 30 - 40 minutes and losing about 3 or 3.5 pounds a week. I wasn't ginormous to start out with...my bmi right now is 36.6...will I lose even faster post-fill?

The point of all these questions is this: I'm scared to death of what'll happen after getting my first fill...how will I get enough protein in...how will I get enough water in...does anybody delay getting a fill until they start to feel hungry, or am I worrying over nothing and need to suck it up and realize that I'll lose more weight post-fill than I am now.

Thanks for listening to my convoluted stream of consciousness. I look forward to hearing your own experiences and any advice you can offer.

Laurie

I waited on my first fill for a number of reason. One, the fear. Two, I was still losing a lot of weight. If you aren't sure you can always speak to the doctor.

Thanks for that input! I didn't know if anybody waited...or if anyone got scared.

TTFN, LLB

Some dr.s won't even give you a fill if you are losing well. You need a fill if you are hungry and if you are not losing weight.

You only have to wait one hour to drink after eating, not two, by the way.

What are your doctor's orders about drinking before/after meals? They're all different it seems. 1 before and 2 after??? That seems extreme to me! I can drink right up to the time I eat and 1/2 hour after.

You will probably loosen up before too much longer and you will be hungrier and you will be able to eat more at one sitting. I don't think yo'll have trouble getting Protein in....most of us can easily unless we're super restricted.

If you're losing 3# a week i seriously doubt your doctor will consent to a fill. Why restrict you if you're doing so well without it? No, he'll wait until you stop losing weight and start getting hungry quickly after just eating. some people never need a fill!

Terri -

Thanks for your comments. Today was the first day that I had trouble even finishing eating my regular meals...both lunch AND dinner. I actually put dinner away for about a half an hour before I could go back to it. What's so weird is that so many of the people on these forums are so hungry at this point and I'm so...not. But I won't look a gift horse in the mouth and will settle for losing so well w/out a fill.

TTFN, LLB

Denise and Terri -

I guess I got the timing wrong...I just checked my hand-out and you're right. It is an hour. Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. What was your experience?

TTFN, LLB

What was my experience with what? Hunger? Oh, i was getting hungry by week 2 or 3 for sure. I had my 1st fill at 3.5 weeks. I've already had 4 fills and one unfill! Your experience is not all that unusual....just be on notice that someday you may find yourself scrounging around for food all day long and the scale hasn't moved for 3 weeks! If/when that day hits, it's time for Fill #1!!

I had my first fill at 6 weeks. Then I was scared to get another one because I kept getting food stuck. When I learned to really chew my food well, and take smaller bites, I had another one. I have had 3 fills all together and I am getting another one next week. I had my surgery in Dec. and I have only lost 10 more lbs than you!

You're doing great! I went for 2 months and lost nothing. If you're satisfied

with what you're eating and not feeling really hungry, count your blessings!

Denise and Terri -

Wow...thanks for sharing your experiences. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. And good luck to both of you!

TTFN, LLB

Hi All... I was banded on Oct 22nd 07...I have a follow up visit with my doctor on Monday. I've been afraid to get on a scale to see what I've lost. Have gone down from size 20 to 16 in jeans. I'm very hungry and have been eating more, find that I'm always looking for food. I haven't had a fill, but after reading your comments, I'm going to ask on Monday. Thanks for all your input.

I can't remember if I have had 6 fills now or 7.

You have to remember that as you lose fat around your stomach, the band gets looser. If you have good restriction without a fill, it's because the band was tight on you to begin with.