Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve to RNY Bypass Revision ...Anyone had this yet?

I had the Gastric Sleeve surgery 2 1/2 years ago and I lost 70 pounds. I've kept the weight off and love my sleeve but I suffer from severe Acid Reflux. My doctor has advised that I need a revision to the RNY. Has anybody else had this??? I'm scared about having surgery again and starting all over again. Is the weight loss similar to what it was at the beginning of the sleeve? Is eating more difficult with the RNY? I don't know what to expect and I'm getting a bit nervous. If anybody could shed some light on how its been I would appreciate it.

Hello there. I had the sleeve done 11/2013 since then I had lost 60 pounds but gained 20 of it back. I am currently two weeks post op gastric bypass. The acid reflex with the sleeve was intense, with the bypass so far I have only experienced it once and that was when I ate right before going to bed. I dont know if this is the case with others but I do not have as much restriction with the bypass as I did the sleeve right after surgery. Eating is not as difficult as it was right after sleeve surgery. I have to say tho, I dont know if it was the scar tissue or it just being the second surgery the first two days after gastric bypass were much more painful then all the days after surgery with the sleeve. I am very curious on other peoples weight loss after a revision. Hope I provided some insight.

I am in the same boat. I had the sleeve in November 2010. I lost 83 pounds in 7 months but then I got pregnant (after YEARS of infertility and at 40 years old!). During my pregnancy I discovered that I had breast cancer so I went throug surgeries and chemo. Now that I am a breast cancer survivor, I now have Barrett's esophagus (pre-cancer) and my acid reflux is OFF THE CHARTS HORRENDOUS!! I am in the process of trying to get a revision to roux n y because of the acid. I am also nervous and not looking forward to doing the liquid diet and starting all over with everything but I'm terrified of getting cancer again! I'm in Baltimore, MARYLAND.

I had VSG on 5/12/14. I converted from sleeve to bypass on 7/1 because of severe reflux. My reflux was gone the day after surgery. I was basically at goal when I converted and my doctor told me not to expect to lose much weight as a result of the surgery. I gained weight right before the surgery but am now almost back to goal (4lbs to go). I had to go through the 6 week food progression again but basically eating is the same. I do not eat any refined sugar as I have no desire to test whether or not I'll dump. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Edited by stacyrg2

Hello there. I had the sleeve done 11/2013 since then I had lost 60 pounds but gained 20 of it back. I am currently two weeks post op gastric bypass. The acid reflex with the sleeve was intense, with the bypass so far I have only experienced it once and that was when I ate right before going to bed. I dont know if this is the case with others but I do not have as much restriction with the bypass as I did the sleeve right after surgery. Eating is not as difficult as it was right after sleeve surgery. I have to say tho, I dont know if it was the scar tissue or it just being the second surgery the first two days after gastric bypass were much more painful then all the days after surgery with the sleeve. I am very curious on other peoples weight loss after a revision. Hope I provided some insight.

I actually have more restriction. I was able to eat 4-5 oz of dense Protein with my sleeve but I top out at about 3 oz now. My recovery was much easier, but I'm in much better shape than I was after my VSG and I believe my healthy lifestyle helped my recovery. As far as weight loss my surgeon told me not to expect a significant loss. That may be because I was almost at goal. I gained some weight right before my surgery since because of the reflux I was eating a lot of crackers (they were the only thing that didn't cause acid with me). On the day of surgery I was 15lbs away from goal. I'm now 9 weeks post conversion and 4 lbs from goal

I had the sleeve 8 months ago, and suddenly my reflux is horrific. It has been bad since surgery, but now it's doubly bad. Is this typical? What makes the reflux get so bad?

I had the sleeve 8 months ago, and suddenly my reflux is horrific. It has been bad since surgery, but now it's doubly bad. Is this typical? What makes the reflux get so bad?

Well, apparently it's typical for you. There are thousands of people who are sleeved who never have a problem with reflux. Apparently you do. The sleeve is a high pressure, closed system which means the acid has nowhere to go but back up your esophagus. My acid got progressively worse until it was to the point where nothing gave me any relief. Breathing air caused me acid. The only cure, for me, was conversion to bypass

@@stacyrg2, @@VolleyGirl, @ Starting Over After Cancer2....... I am happy to find that I am not alone in the reflux area. It is miserable and I've been to the ER twice this past month. I am still a long way from goal so was hoping this surgery would help get me the rest of the way to goal. So its disappointing to hear that y'all didn't lose a substantial amount of weight. Maybe its because you didn't have that much to lose, right? I had a rough time getting over the Sleeve surgery so was hoping the RNY would be a bit easier, Maybe it will be since I'm in better health. I just can't wait to get rid of the reflux.

@@shrinkingnicola, please be sure you bring this up with your surgeon, the reflux can cause a lot of problems you don't want to deal with.

Good luck everyone. My surgery is tentatively scheduled for Oct 10th. Hope it happens.

I am here yet again checking all of this out. I am feeling like a complete failure and after going to the doctor today, I am in super freak out mode. A little history, I got a lap band in June 2009. Lost weight and things were good until the said started. Was revised to sleeve on October 2014. Lost 20 more lbs but was never able to give up the Nexuim or Prilosec. Now 2 years later the acid has gotten really bad again. I take 2 Nexuim daily and up to 2 Zantac to get me through. I had an upper hi last Month and went for results today. Doctor wants to revise to bypass! I am scared of this. Is it hard to eat with a bypass? I dealt with the band and the getting stuck and never wAnt to deal with that again! I feel like a complete failure. Most people don't get one bariatric surgery. I am looking at this being my 3rd. Will the bypass help with the acid? Dr told me I can't stay on Nexuim long term because of osteoporosis.

I had the sleeve done in August 2014 & lost 70lbs just like you, and gained 20lbs back. I was still very far off from my goal weighing 260 at the time ....I tried diet, and diet pills and the most I would lose was 10-15 pounds which was super frustrating. My doctor decided it was time to convert me to the bypass. Like volleyball girl said ^^^ there is less restriction with the bypass. I can sip sip sip and not feel full or discomfort. The recovery is longer though for sure...more painful and lingers .....I can have soft foods now and I enjoyed my scrambled egg and ate very slowly and chewed it to mush. Today I was rushing when I had my egg and I felt really full 3/4 of the way and threw out the rest. I also felt uncomfortable & pain as well. Won't be doing that again. I also had a small size cottage cheese snack. I feel satisfied after I eat, nor really that full feeling as I did with the sleeve. We shouldn't eat until we feel that full feeing anyways, we should just feel satisfied :) good luck and you will do just fine ! Yes the whole liquid thing is a pain but stay focused on the bigger picture .

@bearhugs1975 I revised from VSG to RNY on 7/1/16. I haven't had any problems eating foods. If I eat too much fruit, I get heart palpitations that are annoying but don't affect my daily life. I just don't eat fruit. My surgeon advised that this reaction will mellow with time and I'll be able to eat fruit like I could with my VSG. I didn't find the recovery to be more difficult at all. In fact, it was much easier. I spent an extra night in the hospital (my choice). Once I was home, I was able to drink with no issues and at my 1 week appt, my surgeon advanced my diet early. I had gained about 12 lbs prior to my conversion because the only thing that helped the acid was crackers. I've now lost that re-gain and am within a pound of my lowest weight. If the acid is bad enough, I wouldn't hesitate to convert to RNY

I had the revision from sleeve to bypass.The only thing to help me.They also did a hiatal hernia repair as the the other one failed.Recovery was a little more painful than the sleeve.The surgery takes longer because of scar tissue.

I had my surgery Nov.22,2016.Still on phase 2 diet.Healing in going good though.I recommend not having a revision from band to sleeve.My Drs said bypass is the only way to fix acid reflux. With sleeve there is a 30 to 40 % of acid reflux issues.Like many i didn't want o go with bypass the first time around because it reroutes things. Had to have the surgery now and so far so good.

I had the Gastric Sleeve surgery 2 1/2 years ago and I lost 70 pounds. I've kept the weight off and love my sleeve but I suffer from severe Acid Reflux. My doctor has advised that I need a revision to the RNY. Has anybody else had this??? I'm scared about having surgery again and starting all over again. Is the weight loss similar to what it was at the beginning of the sleeve? Is eating more difficult with the RNY? I don't know what to expect and I'm getting a bit nervous. If anybody could shed some light on how its been I would appreciate it.

My friend had the sleeve 8 months ago and I had RNY on 10.31.16. I'm eating the same things and taking the same Vitamins at this stage that she did. I've lost more weight but I had more to lose as well. You will do great!!

HW: 360 SW: 323 CW: 282 RNY: 10.31.2016