Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tried cottage cheese for the first time - help me jazz it up

I like the breakstone w/live active cultures and I add like a teaspoon or less of good extra virgin olive oil.

I enjoy a scoop of cottage cheese with a perfectly poached egg on top.

I poach the egg in milk, but that may be because I'm a dairy farmer's daughter. We always had milk even when sometimes the well would go dry.

I also like laying down a layer of cottage cheese and putting SF Jello gently over it and letting it set. Lime/lemon Jello tastes the best--to me.

Enjoy! :)

@@trekker954,

Good for you for sticking with the cottage cheese! It’s awfully nutritious!

You can go sweet or savory with cottage cheese. I know you mentioned that you cannot yet have fruits or vegetables, but does that include the super soft ones? Most weight loss surgery patients can have things like pureed well-cooked acorn squash, applesauce, and canned peaches. You could blend cottage cheese with pureed mashed potatoes and some chicken broth and/or a bit of parmesan cheese. You could make a smoothie with cottage cheese and ripe banana or even flavored yogurt.

Something else you can do with cottage cheese is cook it! You can make little “cheesecakes” or “cottage cheese muffins” by beating cottage cheese with egg whites, possibly some ricotta cheese, and a little bit of sweetener, along with a flavoring like lemon juice or cinnamon or pumpkin.

Good luck!

I don't like it, but I like it better than greek yogurt (BTW, I like Dannon regular or lite yogurt). Both are basically pretty gross to me.

Phase 3. No veggies or fruit yet. What can I do with this cottage cheese since I seem to tolerate it. Anything to make it more bearable?

A little sugar free Jam or Jelly if you like sweet. Cottage cheese goes with any fruit, any veggies, especially sliced tomatoes. I love it!

I loved it with warmed marinara...YUMO!!

I don't like it, but I like it better than greek yogurt (BTW, I like Dannon regular or lite yogurt). Both are basically pretty gross to me.

Phase 3. No veggies or fruit yet. What can I do with this cottage cheese since I seem to tolerate it. Anything to make it more bearable?

A little sugar free Jam or Jelly if you like sweet. Cottage cheese goes with any fruit, any veggies, especially sliced tomatoes. I love it!

I followed @'s suggestion. Cottage cheese with sugar free preserves is one of my favorite "meals" of the day now. I alternate strawberry and peach. The strawberry is a little more overpowering of the cottage cheese flavor wise, but it is awesome. The peach is more understanted and refreshing. I got my partner (who has always professed to hate cottage cheese) to try it the other day, and now he loves it, too!!

I don't know if certain brands are any better, but I LOVE the little 4oz containers of Breakstone's cottage cheese. The curd is small and it has a good taste, to me anyway. I dont put snything on it, but you can put some cinnamon and stevia (not truvia...look for Sweet Leaf or other pure stevia, not a mix). Another option is ricotta cheese, which is much smoother and lends itself well to sweet (cinnamon and stevia) and savory (anything...I go to Italian spices such as garlic and oregano). Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using the BariatricPal App

Also, try different brands of Greek yogurt. I think Oikos has a better and less strong taste.

I love it. Sometimes I add salsa to it.

Note to self: I don't have to take this day all at once but rather one step, one breath and one moment at a time. I am only one person.

I like your "note to self"!

Truffle salt and pepper or smoked salt.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I don't like yogurt so cottage cheese was my go to in the early days. I liked taking a bag of frozen mixed berries. cooking them with a little lemon juice and a little splenda and then pureeing them and straining to make a berry sauce. then I'd add that to the cottage cheese. yum.

I just found this thread, don't know how I missed it really. I love cottage cheese. I love the cheap stuff just as much as the expensive stuff. I can eat it with just about anything, mixed together with just about anything too. But honestly; my favorite is just drizzled with maple Syrup. Well, sugar free "maple" syrup.

What great ideas. I will try some. Now that I'm back at work I can't do my morning egg. I hate reheated eggs.

I'm so jealous when I see others have vegetables and fruit so early on. I have to wait until phase 4 which is quite a few weeks away.

Sent from my SM-N910T using the BariatricPal App

I can't eat vegetables until my 2nd month or fruits until my 3rd month. As for eggs, I'm still on purees, but I am able to puree a hard-boiled egg with a bit of low-fat mayo. It's like a very smooth egg salad.

You can put some crystal light in it.I also use sugar free syrups.In coffee section at walmart.Mio.I use these in greek yogurt too.