Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did they provide you with an "expected" weight loss

Yes but I felt sorry for it, I also have been told i am old and of limited value to the world. And I had a doctor get in my face, yep close enough his breath could be smelled and he had a bratwurst and saurerkraut for lunch. Said "I expect you to weigh no more than 134 lb after I get done with you" Yes, I said "I expect you do, but without bariatric surgery it will never happen!" FYI,I hate, loathe and ignore people who get. within 4 inches of my face, unless they are planning to kiss me. And this guy, had he tried I would have bit the top of his tongue off!
They removed most of my sweetness with my last operation.😡

On 8/30/2016 at 6:19 PM, ShelterDog64 said:

My program gave me this formula, to help ME determine what my loss needs to be in the different phases to get me where I want to be.

In the first 3 months, you lose x amount of weight. In the following 3 months, you'll generally lose 1/2 of whatever number x is, which is then number y. And then in the following months, you can lose 1/2 of y, for as long as you chose to eat/exercise in a way that puts you in weight loss mode, for number z.

I want to lose about 110 lbs. My goal is 50 lbs in the first 3 months, so x = 50. I'll lose half of x in the 2nd 3 months, so y is 25. Then in the subsequent months, I can continue to lose 1/2 of y monthly, so z is 12.

x + y + (as many months of z as I chose) will get me to my desired loss...50 +25 + (12 x3) = 111. I could be at my goal in 9 months if I work hard and stick to my plan. I've lost 45 lbs in 9 weeks, so I'm on track for that first goal. It really helped me to have interim goals and to have some sort of expectation of weight loss. Of course, this could all go out the window if I don't continue to lose as I have, but I have no reason to think that I'll be anything but successful as long as I continue doing what I've been doing. Good luck!

You and I have fairly similar stats and this post is SUPER helpful!

When I met with the Psychologist for the eval, he asked me what MY goal was for surgery. I had told him, just based on what I gathered were realistic calculations for me, that I'd like to be somewhere between 185-190lbs post-surgery. He said he felt that was a great goal for me and that he'd really just like for me to be under 200lbs.

AWESOME. I thought, that's great. Perfect. Exactly what I was thinking.

THEN I met with my surgeon and HE told me that he thinks I'll be down to 170 after surgery.

Holy crap.

Honestly, I don't know what 170 looks like. Honest to god. I literally DO NOT KNOW what that will look like on me. I've never, in my adult life, weighed 170. Even though it's only 15-20 pounds lower than what I had originally thought for myself, it's a goal I really didn't think about until he said it.

He also said that it'll come off a lot quicker than I think it will. I also really enjoy being active so that might play a role in it.

I forgot to ask my surgeon what I should expect so I plan on doing so during my pre-op appointment. I have also heard the 60% of excess weight in 12-18 months. But I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that when I break it down.

I want to lose 100lbs so my 60% is 60lbs. But 60lbs over one year is basically one pound a week. 1-2lbs lost a week is the expected average of any weight loss plan. So to spread that out over 18 months for a sleeve patient makes even less sense. Since we're eating drastically less than a "normal" I would have thought the weight loss would be more dramatic.

I'm not expecting to lose all my weight in six months, but better than the average would be nice.

6 minutes ago, Ylime said:

I forgot to ask my surgeon what I should expect so I plan on doing so during my pre-op appointment. I have also heard the 60% of excess weight in 12-18 months. But I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that when I break it down.

I want to lose 100lbs so my 60% is 60lbs. But 60lbs over one year is basically one pound a week. 1-2lbs lost a week is the expected average of any weight loss plan. So to spread that out over 18 months for a sleeve patient makes even less sense. Since we're eating drastically less than a "normal" I would have thought the weight loss would be more dramatic.

I'm not expecting to lose all my weight in six months, but better than the average would be nice.

I think the important thing to remember with the averages are that they can be skewed by people who lose more or less than that amount. I'm seeing a lot of people here who report losses of significantly more than the 60% and my doctor quoted my anticipated weight loss as more than that 60%, too.