Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid and Mushies Tricks and Tips Please!

The few weeks after surgery are tough for many of us. You’re getting used to your new way of life, and you may be in pain. Also, you’re on a pretty restricted diet. Your first post-op stages are the liquid diet and the pureed foods (“mushies”) diet, and they’re not always fun.

liquids can be tough to get down even though you know you need the Protein and fluids. pureed foods can be boring or there may be a lot that you can’t tolerate. These diets can also get awfully boring.

So, what are your tips for the liquid diet and mushies diet? How did you get through (or how are you getting through) these stages if you’re post-op? If you’re pre-op, what are you doing to prepare yourself for the challenges ahead? Share your tips here!

Crushed ice (Sonic is my favorite) with ProtiDiet liquid beverage concentrates eaten with a spoon was helpful early out.

My surgeon allowed ProtiDiet Tomato basil and creamy chicken Soups even during the clear phase and they were great because sweet Protein drinks were tiring.

I also liked V8 for something more savory.

As you said liquids are the first challenge for nearly everyone from what I have read and experienced. What's worse, mostly everyone does not realize how sick and weak you can feel when you don't get at least the minimal requirement in.

My surgical team required the whole first week of Clear Liquids and when I look back on it, I know it is because fluids are so critical, even more important that Protein at that stage. Staying hydrated is #1.

Unfortunately it took me longer than a week to master getting enough Fluid in me to keep me from feeling weak, nauseous and having a headache.

I finally learned one trick that actually still works for me today. I had to literally hold a cup in my hand for the first couple hours of the day and constantly sip so that I had a head start on my liquids. Even today nearly 2 years later I start my day with a 20oz bottle of Water, followed by a 30g Protein shake and then 30 minutes later another 20 oz bottle of Water. This really sets me up for a good day.

You have to figure out what works for you. Some people set and alarm for every five minutes or so to take a sip, that didn't work for me. I had to hold the cup in my hand.

Of course in the first few weeks I could not even get that 11oz Protein Shake down. It would take me most of the day and I had to thin it out with milk. But by 4 weeks I was able to get all of my water and Protein down.

Of course I had advanced to full liquids week 2, pureed foods for weeks 3 and 4.

I did not do well on the pureed diet. It was just too soon to be trying pureed meats. And eggs did not work for me at all and still don't. So for those two weeks I ate a lot of yogurt, cottage cheese, cream of wheat with Protein powder, Protein shakes, pureed veggies and creamed Soups.< /p>

I think the biggest learning for me was, just because your surgeon advances you doesn't mean that you cannot take it slower and go back to the previous stage. In fact if you are having trouble, call them and likely they will have you go back for a week or two.

This allows your new tummy to heal better before advancing.

This is just my opinion but advancing ones diet too quickly can actually cause you to not focus on getting the fluids in and building that good habit.