Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Where do I start? And with what?

I'm expecting to start my puree next week. I have my follow up tomorrow, but would like to know your interpretation and what worked for you (yes, I know it doesn't work the same for all).

I'm told introduce (regardless of which Phase) one new food at a time. Assuming its my Day One pureed. Is that one new food at Breakfast, one new food at lunch and one new food at dinner. Some of these pureed recipes I see has a couple of ingredients.

I'm looking forward to eggs (but see others have a lot of trouble with them), and hummus, and I guess I can manage ricotta cheese. Or is it just going to be blended up Soups and toss in some Protein Powder.< /p>

The first thing I ate on purees was Greek yogurt with almond butter (breakfast) then pureed tuna salad (lunch) then ricotta bake (dinner). As you can see, each meal had more than one ingredient! No type of food ever gave me trouble. The important thing was to keep portions small (1.5 ounce max) and eat slowly with small bites. Good luck!

They want you to know what causes you pain if you eat it. So, when they say to introduce one new food at a time, it would be w/in a period of time that if it does not agree with you, you know what it was that caused the problem.

Actually pureeing my own food (other than soups) never really sat well with me (texture I guess), so I relied on Soups, over-steaming veggies so they were really, really soft, hummus, refried Beans, and other things that were typically prepared pureed.

I liked soups a lot (still do) and so I would make some veggies (broccoli, asparagus, carrots, etc), add some unflavored Protein, and then puree it in the pot with a stick blender. I couldn't do the pureed chicken or fish personally.

This is the part of the food plan that I truly struggled with. I started with yogurt, applesauce, pureed turkey and chicken, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, eggs, tuna......

I found very quickly that eggs were an absolute NO and still are for me. I also found that my pouch could not originally tolerate chicken or turkey even in a pureed stage and I am alergic to legumes and Beans with the exception of green Beans.< /p>

So, for those 2 weeks, I lived on Protein shakes, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, pureed veggies with Protein Powder added, and ricotta cheese. I also leveraged creamed Soups, broth and everything else in the full liquid diet.

The good news is, it gave my tummy a full solid 4 weeks with the liquid phases for my tummy to heal before I started on soft foods.

Once I started on soft foods, very moist chicken breast, fish or any kind were the Proteins that worked best for me. I could not deal with ground meats until 8 weeks post op and then I was able to tolerate beef tenderloin. YUM!!! Of course only an ounce or two at most. Even now if I get 3 ounces of dense Protein I am lucky. I have a big restriction so therefore I still have one shake in the am, 23 months post op.

As you said, this experience is different for everyone, as you get started if you begin to have a lot of trouble don't be afraid to go back to the previous stage for another week to allow your tummy to heal better. Many of us have to do that.

Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.

eggs and yogurt were the first things I ate. I also ate pudding (add Protein powder) and apple sauce. I added in refried Beans too, but the first time I had trouble with them.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App