Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Surgical Experience - Hope this helps

Morning of Surgery.

Woke up really really early. We were suppose to be at the hospital at 5:30 and the procedure would start at 7:30. We arrived a few minutes after like 5:35 and signed in. We sat there until 6:10 to be called back. I had a wonderful nurse, Laura, who was extremely funny. We cut up with each other and she basically calmed any fears I had at this point. She was great. She even asked my wife if she could give a married man a hug. I could have had any admitting nurse but I got Laura. Lucky me.

By 7:00 I was moved to holding where there was some confusion as people were looking for Dr Dyer patient for a gastric bypass and kept asking me if I was that person. Luckily he finally showed up. I met with like 7 different people in holding who verified my name, birthdate, doctor, and partial history. Made me feel a lot better. I remember being wheeled into the operating room and lots of people running around talking. The nurse anesthetist says she was going to give me something, and next thing I know I am in recovery.

Kim, my nurse in recovery says I did great, but I did not joke around with her like I was with my new nurse. She was very kind and supportive and even came by to see me on Thursday before I went home.

Pat was my nurse for the first day. At first we kinda bumped heads. She was doing things I was not in the mood to hear about. But after my wife (who is an nurse) calmed me down, Pat and I became very close. Pat had gastric bypass 5 years ago and obviously understood what was going on. This eased my mind knowing that the person taking care of me understood and had compassion.

Unfortunately I was unable to void as of 6:00pm and they had to do an in/out cath. This may have been the worst part of my whole experience. By 6:00pm I had been up walking the halls multiple times trying to relieve some of the gas.

dinner was served and it sucked. broth, Tap Water with crystal light, Decaf tea.

By the time my night nurse came in I was well on my way to being ready to go home. I wanted to give her an easy night because I figured it would be easier on me. I was able to void on my own, thank God. I did not take but one pain dose, and I only called her because my iv emptied and was beeping. Can't sleep like that, you know. I walked a couple times during the middle of the night.

Breakfast was served and it sucked. broth, Tap Water with crystal light, decaf tea.

The next morning I waited on Dr Houston to see me which he did around 9:30. He said everything looked good. The surgery was successful. The nausea I was feeling was normal. He made sure I understood liquids until I see him in a week.

I finally left the hospital around 11:00 and we made a few stops before coming home, I do not remember them, but LaRhonda says we did. Once home, I slept most of the day and night.

Paul

Thank you for sharing your experience with us! I think it's a great idea sharing your story so that newcomers can get an idea what the day of the surgery is like. I've written my experience in a journal but haven't put it online anywhere yet. Congratulations on your surgery!

Hi Paul, Thank you so much for sharing. I am a newbie and am just starting my journey. I am scheduled to go to my first consultation on sept 10 and it really helped to read your story. I hope others will take your lead tell their story on this blog.

Alfie;)

Thank you for sharing that! As a pre-bandster, every word of information and experience I can gather is extremely welcome! Please do keep up updated in similar fashion your recovery and progress!!

Hi all,

I was banded Aug 21, 2007 (one week ago). I was at the hospital at 7:05. The Dr. came and saw me with a cup of Starbucks in his hand. I joked with him that was cruel. They said they would give me something to relax me at 8:00. The next think I knew I woke up in recovery. It seemed like it was 5 minutes later they said I had to stand to go have the barium x-ray. I commented that I had just woken up, but my hubby was there and said I had been awake for 1/2 hour. I don't remember coming back from the x-ray, but the next thing I knew they said I was ready to get dressed and go home. Again, my hubby said it had been about an hour. Seemed like barely a few minutes. My Dr. does not keep anyone over night unless they want it or a medical condition requires it. I got myself dressed, got into the wheel chair and my hubby was waiting for me outside. I remember the ride home, but sat in a chair and fell asleep reading the mail. I slept off and on for the day. I had some pain that evening, but after the first day I took no pain meds and haven't since. I still have some minor discomfort in the mid-chest area, but nothing major and I am planning on returning to work tomorrow after my one week Dr. checkup. The worst part for me was the pre- and post- liquid diets. I am so ready for at least mushies.

Good luck to everyone.