Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the last thing you said to your surgeon just before your LB procedure?!

The last thing I said was 98.

Anesthesiologist: Count backwards from 100

Me: 99, 98

Recovery room nurse: Wake up, it's all over!

Right before they wheeled me in I started crying, too. A nice, thin nurse was standing with me and whispered, "You'll be fine. It was the best thing I ever did." Then we were moving.

dont remember what i last said, but my first 2 phrases upon waking up:

"get this thing out of my nose" (tube still in and really bothered me)

and ....

"my butt hurts" (i was in the OR for over 2 hours - complications due to previous surger scar tissue) my butt was either numb or in pain for about 1 1/2 weeks after surgery.

My doc came to see me about an hour or so before surgery and touched my leg and told me I was going to be fine and that they'd take good care of me. He then left to do one more surgery before mine.

My OR nurse came to get me a little while later and walked me to the OR. Just before we got to the OR we ran into the anesthesiologist who apologized because he had just com from lunch. I told him "well, at least somebody got to eat". He laughed and said that he'd be in the room in a minute.

We walked into the OR and they had me climb onto the table. I said, "so where's the fat people table? I'm not going to fit on this".

The nurse without a beat said "oh, this is the one size doesn't fit anybody table". Again the room was laughing.

They had me take some Albuterol before they laid me down because of my asthma.

Then the anesthesiologist walked in and instantly starting singing along to the 80's music that was playing. What a fun group. I only wish I could've hung out awake a little while longer. We continued to joke around and the last thing I remember was I think telling them to remember that "I'm having the lap-band done. Don't forget!" :nervous

I think the nurse said "we know, now breathe deeply".

I guess I might have been fighting the anesthesia.

To tell the truth, I have no idea what the last thing I said before surgery was. My doc gave me a sedative before taking me in to the OR and it had already knocked me for a loop. I remember bits and pieces of the 15 or 20 minutes or so before surgery, but not the conversations.

I do have to share this, though. Shortly after my surgery, my boyfriend was sitting in my room with me, and I woke up. I said, "how did I get in this bed?!" and snatched the heart rate monitor off of my finger, and tried to get up. Of course, alarms went off when my heart rate monitor stopped registering a heartbeat.

A nurse and one of the doctors came running, and I greeted them in the doorway with, "what happened to my alien?"

The doctor, not missing a beat replied, "Oh, he's fine, we banded him too."

Hahahaha! My alien?! What?!

I don't remember any of this but my boyfriend has relished every opportunity to retell it over the last few days.

I must say that the team working on me were all great. The OR nurse stood and chatted to me for a while. Then the anesthetist spoke to me. I remember saying "please just let me wake up!" and he said "no problem". Then the surgeon came in and put his hands on my arm and said "you'll be fine". As I was the last to be banded and he had been working around 7 hrs already, I asked him if he'd had a cup of strong coffee. He said "I'm going to have one now!" The assistant surgeon also spoke to me and was very reassuring. They all made me feel at ease. Last thing I said before I went under?? I think the nurse said she might take my glasses away now and I said OK!

I don't remember making it to the OR. I was in the waiting land for my anethesiologist and my turn in line. The anethesiologist gave me some relaxation medicine that apparently worked really well. I vaguely remember them starting to wheel me down the hall for my operation but I remember nothing else. When I woke up I was back in my room. I'm sure they woke me up before then but I can't remember.

It felt like the memory drug I got when I had a stomach thing done a couple of years ago. But then I would have vague memories of something fuzzy.

Weird stuff :0)

Wombat

Guest Band4EJ

The last 2 things I said were "Uh Oh...I feel like Jesus" because I was on that surgery table with the arm boards sticking out at the sides. I immediately felt guilty, thinking that the doctors were probably catholic and might be offended but being under the influence I started laughing at my own remark (embarassing). Then "Are you kidding me??? Is that Air Supply?". The doctor had put Air Supply (the cheesy 80's band) in the CD player. It seemed surreal to be in an operating room in Mexico with a room full of Spanish speaking medical staff and hearing Air Supply.

My doctor told me that almost every patient asks whether their liver was too fat when they wake up. He said it is probably because they have done some last minute eating that wasn't part of the presurgery diet and they think the doctor will take one look at their liver and know they cheated. I was no exception. I did go off the diet the day before and I asked whether my liver was too fat when I woke up.

My anethestetic was two phased, so they did phase one, which just closed my eyes and made me groggy, but I was still conscious so I apparently made them lift the mask of my face and tried to yet "don't start cutting yet, I'm still awake!". I heard laughing as I blanked out...

I wish my last memories of talking to my Doctor were as good as some of these!! The last thing my doctor said to me was back in pre-op and he told me that he was going to "try" to do the surgery but wasn't going to gaurentee anything. (I have no idea what that was supposed to mean! But it definitly didn't help calm my nerves!) It wasn't until I was actually in the OR and surrounded by interns and nurses that they calmed me down and were extremely nice. The last thing I remembered was my OR nurse and anthesiologist telling me I was gorgeous and that my hair was so beautiful and thick. While they were discusing it amongst themselves, the anthesiologist said she was going to give me some "air" and I kept thinking, I really should say "thank you" since they were complimenting me!! LOL I never got that far though LOL

I have to tell one of my more embarrassing stories. It wasn't when I was banded but earlier, when I had hand surgery.

It was twilight sleep so I was groggy but awake. I WORKED at that hospital, that made things even worse.

I was laying there half asleep and half awake waiting for the surgeon and when he came in I started talking and talking and wouldn't shut my mouth. I went on and on about how darned good my surgeon looked in those scrubs. I suggested he start wearing scrubs on the floors instead of those snooty suits he always wears, the scrubs show a LOT more. They outline everything!

The PA was the asst. surgeon and she kept whispering in my ear to stop talking, I'd be embarrassed when I woke up. To that I reminded her (loudly) that we were just talking about this yesterday, she agreed with me that he has the best butt ever! Now she didn't want to discuss it? Was she not looking at the same thing I was???

The surgeon was laughing, the PA was mortified, I was giggling and continued running my mouth about how those tight scrubs were NIIIICE! The nurses were laughing, the anesthesiologist was a friend of mine and he just sat there shaking his head and all I could think of was that I was being honest!

I was so embarrassed I did my own follow up care. Each time the surgeon's office would call and leave a message saying they scheduled a post op appt I would call and cancel it. I was too embarrassed to go back and face him again.

Then I had to have a return to work note from a doctor saying I could go back to work in the hospital. I had to have my husband write it and HE'S a psychiatrist. It looked like I had a break down or something.

About three weeks after I went back to work my surgeon was on the floor. I saw him and RAN to the med room to hide, I was sure he didn't see me. I was wrong. He came in and I tried to keep my back to him so he wouldn't see it was me, well geez... he came in there because he saw me. I was horrified, I kept my hands over my face I was so embarrassed and I was trying to look like I actually had a reason for being in there.

He finally asked if there was a problem. I said no, no problem. Just REALLY busy.

He finally peeled my hands away from my face and was trying to be nice and professional. Finally he burst out laughing again and told me not to worry about it. He was flattered. He asked why I never came back for a post op appt. I acted like I didn't know I was supposed to. He reminded me that his staff kept making appts and I kept canceling them. I said, "OH! That was for a post op visit?" It was just getting worse.

Finally he asked if he could see my hands. Well he was already holding them because he just peeled them away from my face. He was still laughing, commented that he did a good job and that I shouldn't worry, really... he was flattered.

Moral to this story, when you are in OR just try not to speak. :rolleyes: Especially if you work for that hospital.

I don't remember much about the time immediately before surgery. I remember them coming to get me and moving me to the pre-op room. I started shivering (it was COLD), so they put a very hot blanket on me (seriously, almost hot enough to burn). They gave me Albuterol right before the surgery and then moved me to the operating room. The very last thing I remember is them asking me to move myself over to the operating table, and I remember the weird eggshell-padded arm boards, and that was IT. I don't remember a single thing past that point. The next thing I remember is being shaken and told to breathe in the recovery room because I was apparently forgetting to breathe.

Great Advice, Bubble!

As a matter of fact, I DO work at the hospital where I will have my LB procedure this Friday. Been there 32 yrs (it's a life sentence, no possibility of parole).......and one of my best friends will be my recovery room nurse.

I intend to learn from your hx and keep a low profile!

Thanks for sharing your story, even tho it was embarrassing for you. :rolleyes:

Last thing I was doing was describing to the nurse how the gas was making me feel like I was drinking a big blue cocktail

First thing I did when I woke up was cry for my mum!!

weight.png

I kept telling them to make sure I was good and under before they started cutting on me that I was going to fight it just to make sure I was good and under. They laughed at me and told me to fight all I wanted and that they would definetly make sure I was sleeping and wouldn't feel a thing. I have always had that fear of still being awake during surgery.

I have a funny story...I asked the doc if she had a good nights rest. She said, "no, I was up raving all night last night, drinking, drugging, hanging with my peeps" I laughed and then the next thing I remember is a nurse trying to wake up. The next morning, she came to my room and asked me if I knew she was joking! I hope she was. She has access to some good drugs!!!