Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Magic Bullet to Puree and Has anyone brought thru TSA checkpoints

I would like to use my Magic Bullet (the smaller one) to make my pureed foods. Will that work? I've never pureed foods, I don't have a clue. I have a nice blender that I use for Margaritas oh wait, yeah, no more margaritas. :wacko: I like my magic bullet size.

Also I travel a lot and will still have some traveling a month out when I'm still eating soft pureed and mushy foods. I prefer to travel only with carry on. Has anyone had experience going through TSA with their Magic Bullet or similar blender.

After googling, I've seen people say they got thru while others said no, they had to check.

Anyone do this lately and get thru with no problems?

Also can someone enlighten me. I've read no more carbs. Yet people are saying when they start soft mushy stage, they are eating mashed potatoes and/or refried Beans. Okay, so beans have some Proteins. I guess the best is to mix your unflavored Protein Powder in the mashed???

Part of it depends on if you are going through TSA PRE. I have not had a problem with my blender, Protein powders et.al. in my carry on. It ticks me off that they consider yogurt a liquid, but I'm not going to get that bent out of shape.

BTW, try to travel with some sort of rescue food. When I flew when I was at this stage, I usually ended up buying a Protein shake or Soup at the airport. I'd blend dinner in my room ;-), (it's only for a week)

Re eating Beans or mashed potatoes -- beans were allowed in small quantities in my puree phase. No potatoes -- too starchy without enough Protein to counterbalance. And my program didn't allow us to take high carb food like potatoes or oatmeal or pudding and add protein powder to make them "better" -- but your program probably has its own rules you need to follow.

With respect to the magic bullet, I wouldn't take it unless I was okay with knowing that I might end up having to chuck it in the trash because the TSA agent wouldn't allow it.

Generally after surgery your meal volume will be very small. Therefore you will need to use a Protein supplement such as a Protein shake in order to get in your daily protein requirements. These can come in powder form where you mix it with either Water or milk or as a premix. I never took my blender with me when I travel. It would be just too much hassle. I used premixed Protein shakes. Later after several months, I was able to transition to Protein Bars when I was up and about.

Generally I found Soups and chili to go down easy.

I travel a lot and find TSA to be fairly arbitrary--rules vary from airport to airport. TSAPre is definitely a big help but often not open in smaller terminals or off-peak flights. I definitely agree that you might well end up in a "check it or chuck it" situation. Of course people do try things...I actually had a guy in front of me with a pair of brass andirons in his bag. The TSA guy was laughing. "You've got to be kidding me! Haven't you ever watched an old murder mystery? These were a favorite weapon!"

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

I bring my morning yogurt, put it in a baggie. leave it in my carry on, and go through TSA pre all the time, without problem.

My surgeon typically allows patients to start on pureed 2 weeks out, but from what I read here, that may be pushing it for most. Mentally, I preparing to take it slow. I'm older, a very busy worklife, although plan to stay close to home for the first month.

I'm going to be a month out when I have to fly to NYC for a wedding (2 night trip). I am going to forgo the blender for that. The following weekend I drive 4 hours to a wedding and spend 4 nights in a hotel. I think I want to bring the blender for that. But thats fine, I'm driving.

The day after I return I fly, only with a carry-on, to California for two nights and vegas for 4 nights. I'll be in a Residence Inn. I guess I can call ahead and ask if they can give me some type of blender. Hopefully so, although doubtful.

In add these instances, I should be able to hit up a grocery store.

My adult daughter is so disappointed not that she's meeting me in Vegas, but that I won't be visiting the wonderful buffets there. Skinny minny that she is, she is somewhat very disappointed in my journey as she truly feels our numerous vacations will change quite a bit. Some of our vacations have revolved around wine tours. We also cruise often, but rarely ever ate in the main dining rooms. She can't have it both ways. She has seen me slow down considerably the past two years. I just have gained too much weight and can't keep up with the walking and adventurous tours.

I hope my WLS restores the adventurous me again.

Edited by trekker954

Go to the TSA website to verify if you can bring it on. Maybe you can pack it in your checked luggage if you aren't worried about damage.

If you can bring it on the flight, do not mention that you have a "Magic Bullet " in your baggage to the TSA personnel. :)