Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you sure you haven't skipped a week???:) it's so much info to take in, your post op plan is really a bit ahead of most of us....the first week is generally always "full Liquid" which does NOT include cottage cheese, oatmeat or mashed anything. those are considered "mushies" that come on week 2...also 60 grams is the lowest Protein recomended I've heard. I think if you want to keep from losing hair you might want to go for 60. anyway, good luck all . did they tell you that untill you start to get fills that you really don't have any restriction, it's like not having it at all! So if you are hungry now not to worry, that will change!

EVERY DOCTOR IS DIFFERENT ... please follow your doctor's guidelines...

Hi everyone,

I was banded on July 6th and I found that about 1 week after surgery, my appetite came back. The folks at NYU just told me to hang tough until my first restriction. So I went to the movies a lot and tried to fill my time. Like some of you said, I would do a Protein Shake for Breakfast and sometimes lunch and then have creamed Soup and some mushy tuna salad with fat free mayo at night. I lost about 20 pounds before my first fill. I had my first fill two weeks ago and have lost about another 6 since. You will get through it!! Best of luck!!

Its so funny cuz I never realized how much of my life revolved around eating before. I had a date yesterday and we went to this great brunch place Sarabeths that I used to love. There was only 1 thing on the menu I could eat: Tomato bisque. Plus it had chunks of tomatoes in it so I chewed each bite like 100 times. The guy I was with must have thought I was nuts cuz I was chewing my Soup like it was popcorn! :hungry:

Then I went to a bar later and I asked if they had tomato juice. They didn't. So I had wine. I know that is totally horrible to be 1 week out and have wine but I knew I couldnt have diet coke so I figured whatever. I think after being banded 1 glass of wine=2 glasses of wine preop, because since I wasnt eating it effected me more than usual. :kiss2:

I have a client meeting tomorrow and she is taking me out to lunch and I hope and pray whereever she takes me has soup or hummus or something else that is kind of liquified. Even drinking out is hard because i used to live on diet coke, and now I cant have carbonation or caffeine so it is hard to find things that are readily available to drink (like every place i go has diet coke!). So I found Snapple diet green tea and that seems good. :)

Hi everyone,

I was banded on July 6th and I found that about 1 week after surgery, my appetite came back. The folks at NYU just told me to hang tough until my first restriction. So I went to the movies a lot and tried to fill my time. Like some of you said, I would do a Protein shake for breakfast and sometimes lunch and then have creamed soup and some mushy tuna salad with fat free mayo at night. I lost about 20 pounds before my first fill. I had my first fill two weeks ago and have lost about another 6 since. You will get through it!! Best of luck!!

Hello...i Was Starving In The liquid Phase. I Had To Have Something To Eat After The First Week And Soft Scrambled An Egg With cheese. It Was The Best Egg I Have Ever Eaten. Don't Eat Any meats Right Now. You May Think You Dont Have Any Restriction Until You Eat A Piece Of meat. I Told Myself I Could Eat A Small Bite Of Pork In The Liquid Phase And Thought I Would Die When It Got Stuck. It Was The Worst Feeling I Have Ever Felt. I Had My Surgery On Jan 30, 2007 And Have Had 3 Fills And Finally Feel Lots Of Restriction Now. I've Lost 36 Pounds And Counting. So Hang In There. It Does Get Better.

last time i looked unless an egg was raw, it was not liquid.

i STRONGLY discourage anyone from "eating" when on the liquid stage.

yes, i may sound mean or harsh or bitchy, but the surgeon says liquids ONLY for a reason.

your stomach should not be 'working' to digest anything right now. it needs to anchor those stitches in place.

really!!

and yes, it does get better.

I'm getting my first fill tommorrow the 24th of september! Yay! I'm nervous that it will hurt, and also I am not allowed to eat after 7pm tonight, and can't drink or eat after 7am tommorow, (fill day). My fill time is set for 3:40 pm, I wonder why I have to not eat and drink so far in advance. Any words of wisdom?

I'm getting my first fill tommorrow the 24th of september! Yay! I'm nervous that it will hurt, and also I am not allowed to eat after 7pm tonight, and can't drink or eat after 7am tommorow, (fill day). My fill time is set for 3:40 pm, I wonder why I have to not eat and drink so far in advance. Any words of wisdom?

Well that is a very good question!! I guess cuz the Drs. are all different. It seems that there should be some sort of uniform protocol for all these issues. Maybe they want to do blood work?? I just don't know, as I've had 3 fills and I have not had any eating restrictions for the before. Now after, that is a different story. After I am only allowed liquids (not clear) for the first 24 hrs. Mushy for the next 24 and then regular food. and they do mean ONLY liquids . I cheated on only 1 small bite of chicken that I though I could chew till very pulverized but :omg: OMG was that the biggest mistake of my current life!!! I got a very quick and complete lesson in ugly painfull side affects:eek:. felt like a creature from the black lagoon! the last 2 fills went well, NO cheating !!! I got it!!!

I didn't think it hurt that bad, she had a little trouble finding the center of the port but it really wasn't much more than having blood taken. I don't see it as a big deal pain wise. Good luck and be good after!

Well I have to tell everyone that I was disappointed when I went for my 4 week check up. I have lost 23 lbs and I asked my doctor when I was going to get my first fill. He said "when you quit losing weight." I told him that I am hungry and can eat a ton of food. He said "well as long as you are losing weight you don't need a fill. I am doing this on sheer will power alone. If I was going to do that I why did I get the band. I was so looking forward to getting that fill. I have another appointment in 4 weeks. So do I go ahead and eat what I want and not lose or go ahead and lose and take the chance I still won't get a fill. I am sitting her right now hungry. I had a Weight Watcher "Smart One" for lunch and a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. Any one care to make a comment?

I have a suggestion, as I have had to prepare for 6 months (req'd by insurance) on the diet I would follow afterward. I am already used to the Protein shakes and all sugar free Snacks, small portions etc. (by the way, I have already lost 40 lbs, and my surgery should be by the end of next month).

Anyway, I have found that I add a half cup of splenda to my mix (about 5 cups per blender full) and it really jazzes up the flavor! Just thought you might like to try it out... :)

#

post_new.gif Today, 05:07 PM

lizgroover user_online.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_85811", true);

:):help::hungry:

Hello fellow bandsters. I am posting my first post.:clap2: I just had my lapband surgery on 8/16/07, and am already starving! I am defineately having a hard time dealing with monotonous shakes, and I want real food. I am starving! I wish I could have my first adjustment sooner than 2 months. This just seems rediculous to me, I am ready for my 1st adjustment now.Please share your comments, and advice, I am really struggling. Thanks.

p.s How are other people gauging frequency of liquids/shakes if you don't feel full or restriction. ex.- I am supposed to drink 1oz. every 15 min., and this is extremelly hard when I have a lot of pill sto take at once, and when I'm very hungry or thursty.:hungry:

Check with your doctor to find out if what you were told were MINIMUMS or SUGGESTIONS as opposed to MAXIMUMS.

I was on 2 weeks of clear fluids, then 2 weeks of full fluids then 2 weeks of mushies, but my fluids were not limited at all.

I just had my first fill today , ( 4 cc's ) hooray! But, I just have one question. How do I know I've hit my sweet spot? What dose "having restriction" feel like? Can anyone describe the feeling of having restriction for me?

I just had my first fill today , ( 4 cc's ) hooray! But, I just have one question. How do I know I've hit my sweet spot? What dose "having restriction" feel like? Can anyone describe the feeling of having restriction for me?

I talked to ALLERGAN about how many CCs in a Lap-Band made for a "Good fill". Their answer surprised me: "It really doesn't MATTER how many ccs are in the band. The only thing that matters is whether or not that CC amount provides EFFECTIVE RESTRICTION" (Emphasis added) So the trick then is NOT how many CCs are in the Lap-Band, it's whether or not the band works well at that level of fill.

The phrase "The Sweet Spot" is just another way of saying "Effective Restriction". The problem is that people expect "The Sweet Spot" to last, it doesn't, and neither does "Effective Restriction". Not until the entire residual fat-pad on the outside of the stomach muscle is melted off, and that takes TIME.

As far as what effective restriction feels like to me, it means I have to chew carefully and watch for my full sign. I get full on small amounts and that fullness lasts for hours.

My surgeon did not give me my first fill this past week because I too continue to lose an average of 2 pounds a week. He said that should be my goal. If I were to have a fill he felt I would lose weight faster and that is not the purpose, he feels slow and steady wins the race. Some people don't need a first fill for a while because the original size of the band used and proper placement holds things in place for a while. Cream Soups are awesome, I use 2% milk not skim because of the higher Protein. I use Breyers low carb (4g carb) ice cream when making my Protein Shakes instead of milk to make a creamy delicious tasting shake. My trouble comes from eating other foods too fast and probably not chewing enough, the pains stop me in my tracks. I like when people on this blog can be supportive and offer great ideas thanks everyone. Lorraine

hi Liz - don't feel bad - I was banded on Aug. 1st and when I was supposed to get a fill the dr. said no cause i gained about 6 pounds more than i should have, which is good but now i feel no restriction at all! And i don't see him for 2 months!!! I need a fill bad but have to do it on my own. But I know what you're going through - it gets better, believe me. I feel like I don't stop eating now - can't wait for a first fill!!

OMG Jez - I am going through the same thing!! Why did I have the surgery if he won't give me the fill?? I am eating like a pig and am so frustrated - I don't see my Dr. for 2 months!!!! I'm going to gain all the weight back that I lost. Someone please tell me what the heck is going on with my Dr.!!