Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does "hunger" feel like to you post bypass surgery?

Hi all- I'm curious if anyone experiences "hunger" the way I do. Not head hunger- I don't get that any longer 3+months out. I'm talking REAL hunger. Pre op hunger was rumbling stomach, etc. Now, if I am late for a meal, I'm talking a couple of hours for whatever reason, it is actually a burning pain, and it hurts! The only way to get rid of it is to eat.

Obviously, I don't do this to myself on purpose, but there have been times when I've been caught off guard and tied to something I couldn't leave to eat. Usually I carry a Protein bar or two with me for such occasions, but we all know life happens.

So- back to my original question- what does REAL hunger from delayed eating feel like physically to you bypass peeps now?

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Hello! I'm almost 11 months out and my hunger returned maybe 3 months ago. For me, it also only happens when I go too long without eating. It feels more psychological than physical, however. It's not a huge craving to pig out or something, it's more that it makes me feel "man, I need some food right now. I must be hungry. I must have gone too long without eating" and I actually feel a desire to eat which is then sated by eating the usual small amount of healthy food. I haven't had any kind of actual pain from hunger in the three months or so that it's been back. Sounds like some extra issue, perhaps dehydration or even heartburn. Are you getting enough Water? Have you or do you take any kind of med to reduce the possibility of heartburn? I've never needed any but it was prescribed to me early in the healing process and I did have a couple instances of the same sort of burning feeling you're experiencing, and it was definitely heartburn.

Or maybe I'm just weird and this feeling happens to others too when they are hungry. Who knows? As always, I would suggest contacting your doctor if you're concerned. Can't be too careful, and they are there to help. Hope you feel better! :)

I am 11ish months out and I don't get true hunger pains, the pouch feel empty and sometimes nauseous.

I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. I was in the Weight Loss phase for around 7 months and then I transitioned into the Maintenance phase. Prior to surgery, hunger was constantly continuously gnawing at my bones. But after surgery, I completely lost my hunger. About a year later after surgery, my hunger returned. But it was not as strong as prior to surgery.

The strategy during the Weight Loss phase is different than the strategy during the Maintenance stage. I am not suggesting you are in the Maintenance phase yet. It is a tad bit early. But someday you will transition into this phase and I put the strategy I use in the Maintenance phase in the following article. So this is for future reference. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

I believe some individuals are experiencing hunger during the Weight Loss phase because they are consuming too many carbohydrates. Meals should always begin with Protein first.

my physical hunger returned when I was about six months post-op. I think it feels about the same - just not as intense

So, maybe I will call my doc. I don't experience hunger yet- just that horrid burning pain on the occasion I forget to eat...and I follow my diet impeccably. Grr.

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

@@LisaMergs Definitely sounds like acid reflux to me. :( Hope it's not, and if it is, hope it's resolved soon! A simple med will nip it right in the bud, if that's the case. Feel better.

Yep - what @@Cervidae - sounds like reflux. Even pre-op, I would go through these strange periods of STARVING feeling and it would take me a week to realize each time it was reflux. Once I would take a round of meds for a few weeks, it would go away for a few months and then come back.

I am 3 years post-op RNY gastric bypass surgery. I was in the Weight Loss phase for around 7 months and then I transitioned into the Maintenance phase. Prior to surgery, hunger was constantly continuously gnawing at my bones. But after surgery, I completely lost my hunger. About a year later after surgery, my hunger returned. But it was not as strong as prior to surgery.

The strategy during the Weight Loss phase is different than the strategy during the Maintenance stage. I am not suggesting you are in the Maintenance phase yet. It is a tad bit early. But someday you will transition into this phase and I put the strategy I use in the Maintenance phase in the following article. So this is for future reference. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

I believe some individuals are experiencing hunger during the Weight Loss phase because they are consuming too many carbohydrates. Meals should always begin with Protein first.

Great info and saved for later - thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920V using the BariatricPal App

I am pre op and get that burning pain which is different to hunger sensation. The burning pain is reflux in me and part of the reason I am having the surgery. I have a hiatus hernia which will be repaired at the same time and GERD (reflux disease) which my surgeon says is significantly improved by this surgery. I have fundal gland polyps which are caused by the medication I take to reduce the acid so I need to stop taking them. I am hoping the surgery makes the difference otherwise I am going to have a hard time post op.